Question from a newcomer

ZEN Amps

I haven't been on this forum all that long, and maybe this is a dumb question - but why do so many threads around here turn to shit, then personal insults and/or threats?

Have I joined at a particularly frustrated / angry / tense time or is this pretty normal? If it was the occasional thread by the same offender I wouldn't ask, but man it seems like the norm.

I'm serious, what's the deal?

This place kicked ass when Thump was running it. Looks like most folks from that era have long since bailed.
By getting rid of the Off Topic Forum was a mistake. All the Political BS gravitated to the Gear Section.
This guy (?) Donnie is a Fag and would have been long banned. Seems he ruins nearly every thread he posts in.

Let’s back up a bit, this forum was created by SGT Thump to be a Wild West of less moderation than HCAF before HCAF was sold off to musicians friend/guitar center. When that happened to HCAF, there was a mass exodus - hence the one section made jokingly that, for some reason, was never removed soon after.

In it’s prime a lot of very talented and knowledgeable gigging professionals preferred this forum as it also targeted high gain and 80s styles of playing.

Fast forward, It started going downhill when Brad King owned the forum working alongside Mark Cameron and screwed what seems like half of the regular members for modified Marshall’s or CCVs. The business they formed was a failure that would struggle to meet demand or even have amplifiers returned on Cameron’s side. A lot of members weren’t happy, and stopped posting right then and there.

Since then the forum has changed hands to various owners from all over the world with no care at all to the moderation, upkeep, or general well being of traffic.

The newest owner has had more care than ever in keeping it up to date with the latest and greatest, but it’s basically a Wild West empty town of the originals that made it what it was.

On top of that, off topic bantering is now common in the gear side because new members couldn’t follow directions in the off topic section of no political discussions, and got the entire topic removed instead of simply being temp banned.

Now we have what you see now - chaos and the same people posting. Many stayed including myself because of the looser moderation. You can really only get banned by either personal threats or ripping someone off in the classifieds. Trust me when I say this place does not play around with those rules and I’ve seen both executed within days of infraction. Loose moderation does not mean no moderation.

Welcome to RT and I’m sad you feel this way, but you’re not the only one to request off topic to stay off topic and rig discussions to stay rig discussions. A mix of both happens without strict moderation in and of itself, combine that with the history of this place, and you see what’s before you.

Last edited:
Eh, I dunno, I think worldly events more than anything get dragged into conversation here as a way of release, fo the point it becomes almost a hang out/blog area. To me it seems about the same as it has been in the last 10-15 years or so.

I haven't been on this forum all that long, and maybe this is a dumb question - but why do so many threads around here turn to shit, then personal insults and/or threats?

Have I joined at a particularly frustrated / angry / tense time or is this pretty normal? If it was the occasional thread by the same offender I wouldn't ask, but man it seems like the norm.

I'm serious, what's the deal?
Basically the US is going to hell in a hand basket, this is a microcosm reflection of that :ROFLMAO:

It's social media. People will say things to each other that they would never say in person because there is no consequences for doing so. I'm not sure when this behavior was adopted by so many. I guess if you want to participate and discuss gear around here you can either accept it or move on. Anyway... welcome to the Rig-Talk.

Ok fair enough, just wondering. I've never spent much time online but really enjoy this forum for the amp talk and hope to engage with you guys more about gear over time. There's no way in hell I'll be caught talking about politics, religion or god forbid China!

I'm no hippie....but to anyone reading this I hope you have a good day, are doing well and get a dose of loud riffage in :rock:

I think alot are bored including me, rock is over except in your head or basement. Unless this tuned down to Z chugga chug is your thing.

Was a great forum back in the day. Now it's filled with left-wing nut jobs and alt-right fascists who act like 16 yr old boys. Combine that with everyone wanting something for free in the classifieds and this place has really gone to hell. I check in here 1 or 2 times per week, but even that is waning. Never thought I would prefer the Gear Page, but I visit that more than ever now.
Speak for yourself. Some of is are just here to try and leach a free subscription to Mailman’s Onlyfans account.

Last edited:
1562111191_39d27106-b999-4e7a-b14e-fc5413152652_mmthumb.jpeg

I don't post a whole lot these days, started getting back on here, and quickly figured out they deleted the off topic forum and all that political bullshit ended up here...

So now, I will read a thread until there is one mention of politics and I move on. If I wanted to read people bickering over the dumbest shit possible, I'd join Twitter. Fuck politics and whatever side you choose.

I know several people who are actively avoiding this place because of the mix of politics in the main forum.

Saddest part is, people whom I've admired for their playing and/or tone, have turned into the nastiest, most bile spewing assholes on here.

All this added together, drives people away. I don't want to see it, and will miss alot of gear discussion I'd normally enjoy and engage in, but the political bullshit NEEDS to be eliminated from here.

ADMINS!!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS, PUT THE OFF TOPIC FORUM BACK AND CLEAN UP THIS FUCKING MESS! please.

I came from HCAF after the fall.... I like this forum because people are free to speak their minds unlike tgp or other heavily moderated forums. at the end of the day, heated debates end up resolving themselves and we all get back to talking about gear. Its still all about gear at its core.....

Back