Question from a newcomer

If someone gives an opinion on a piece of gear, just agree and tell them how right they are and you'll be fine. If you have a differing opinion they'll attack you.

I don't post a whole lot these days, started getting back on here, and quickly figured out they deleted the off topic forum and all that political bullshit ended up here...

So now, I will read a thread until there is one mention of politics and I move on. If I wanted to read people bickering over the dumbest shit possible, I'd join Twitter. Fuck politics and whatever side you choose.

I know several people who are actively avoiding this place because of the mix of politics in the main forum.

Saddest part is, people whom I've admired for their playing and/or tone, have turned into the nastiest, most bile spewing assholes on here.

All this added together, drives people away. I don't want to see it, and will miss alot of gear discussion I'd normally enjoy and engage in, but the political bullshit NEEDS to be eliminated from here.

ADMINS!!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS, PUT THE OFF TOPIC FORUM BACK AND CLEAN UP THIS FUCKING MESS! please.
I totally agree with you, and I myself am also guilty of this fuckery. That’s it, I’m done with any political comments on Rigtalk. It’s not the place for it. This is great forum and that BS is not making it any better.

I agree with what most have said so far.
In the end, I don't think it has changed all THAT much.
I also don't see it as much different than anywhere else.
Face it, the politics in our lives have been weird and people want to talk about it and find their common ground.
I personally don't like the politics and personal attacks.
Most issues resolve themselves as mentioned.
Keep showing me your NADs and I'm good.

Last edited:
You an Aussie too, Zen? Great man, and welcome to the forum; your timing in joining may prove itself to have been impeccable. We'll see....

Let’s back up a bit, this forum was created by SGT Thump to be a Wild West of less moderation than HCAF before HCAF was sold off to musicians friend/guitar center. When that happened to HCAF, there was a mass exodus - hence the one section made jokingly that, for some reason, was never removed soon after.

In it’s prime a lot of very talented and knowledgeable gigging professionals preferred this forum as it also targeted high gain and 80s styles of playing.

Fast forward, It started going downhill when Brad King owned the forum working alongside Mark Cameron and screwed what seems like half of the regular members for modified Marshall’s or CCVs. The business they formed was a failure that would struggle to meet demand or even have amplifiers returned on Cameron’s side. A lot of members weren’t happy, and stopped posting right then and there.

Since then the forum has changed hands to various owners from all over the world with no care at all to the moderation, upkeep, or general well being of traffic.

The newest owner has had more care than ever in keeping it up to date with the latest and greatest, but it’s basically a Wild West empty town of the originals that made it what it was.

On top of that, off topic bantering is now common in the gear side because new members couldn’t follow directions in the off topic section of no political discussions, and got the entire topic removed instead of simply being temp banned.

Now we have what you see now - chaos and the same people posting. Many stayed including myself because of the looser moderation. You can really only get banned by either personal threats or ripping someone off in the classifieds. Trust me when I say this place does not play around with those rules and I’ve seen both executed within days of infraction. Loose moderation does not mean no moderation.

Welcome to RT and I’m sad you feel this way, but you’re not the only one to request off topic to stay off topic and rig discussions to stay rig discussions. A mix of both happens without strict moderation in and of itself, combine that with the history of this place, and you see what’s before you.

I don't post a whole lot these days, started getting back on here, and quickly figured out they deleted the off topic forum and all that political bullshit ended up here...

So now, I will read a thread until there is one mention of politics and I move on. If I wanted to read people bickering over the dumbest shit possible, I'd join Twitter. Fuck politics and whatever side you choose.

I know several people who are actively avoiding this place because of the mix of politics in the main forum.

Saddest part is, people whom I've admired for their playing and/or tone, have turned into the nastiest, most bile spewing assholes on here.

All this added together, drives people away. I don't want to see it, and will miss alot of gear discussion I'd normally enjoy and engage in, but the political bullshit NEEDS to be eliminated from here.

ADMINS!!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS, PUT THE OFF TOPIC FORUM BACK AND CLEAN UP THIS FUCKING MESS! please.
Hopefully your grievances have and will be taken care of by the new cleanup crew(!), guys.

OTC is back, mostly-cleaned-up (at a thread level at least) and the OT threads infiltrating the forum-feedback sub-forum have been moved to where they belong. :thumbsup:

Be sure to read the sticky atop the OTC thread list; things should improve from here on in. I'm going to do my best if it kills me. :LOL:

You an Aussie too, Zen? Great man, and welcome to the forum; your timing in joining may prove itself to have been impeccable. We'll see...
Yep, and it seems there's a few about which is nice! Where you at man? I'm 10 mins out of Sydney (lower Blue Mountains).

Off topic section makes a lot of sense btw, and hopefully it doesn't lead to your untimely demise!

Ha! I'll be OK thanks mate. Just wanna see this forum thrive; it's always had all the makings of a great one and I've loved it ever since I joined.
Yep, and it seems there's a few about which is nice! Where you at man? I'm 10 mins out of Sydney (lower Blue Mountains).
Melbourne, so we both know lockdown pretty-damned well. :LOL:

Thanks for reminding me, brother:

Moving this thread to the feedback sub-forum 'cause it's become about, well, the forum.

Welcome again, matey. :cheers:

You an Aussie too, Zen? Great man, and welcome to the forum; your timing in joining may prove itself to have been impeccable. We'll see....

Hopefully your grievances have and will be taken care of by the new cleanup crew(!), guys.

OTC is back, mostly-cleaned-up (at a thread level at least) and the OT threads infiltrating the forum-feedback sub-forum have been moved to where they belong. :thumbsup:

Be sure to read the sticky atop the OTC thread list; things should improve from here on in. I'm going to do my best if it kills me. :LOL:

Thank You :cheers:

Speaking of Aussie, saw this yesterday and got a good laugh.
This was while they were shooting 'The Nice Guys' which is a really funny flick.

Last edited:
Seems like everyone has already said it. Rig Talk has gone to complete shit.

Everyone has left long ago. There's a few good people left and then there's a few people with nothing better to do than to attack other people. Online shit talk in the safety of their home, wonder if some of them even play guitar.

Anyway I hate to say it but you've certainly missed the heydays of Rig Talk and most forums in general.

Sevenstring is still pretty decent. You definitely do not see the attacks and childish antics there but that forum is pretty much geared towards modern metal.

Facebook groups seem to be much better but they're flooded. The forum days are pretty much over but hopefully you can enjoy whats left of it, good luck lol.

I don't think having OTC or not having OTC really makes much difference. There are a handful of people here that are not here to talk rigs, they are here to spew hate. And they don't need an OTC to do that (see this very thread for examples). They have, over time, ruined Rig Talk. It's really that simple.

Feel free to use this feedback sub-forum to put forward suggestions, mate. :)
Its the people man. I made my first report in over 13 years last night because some jackass had a few drinks and decided to ruin my classified ad.

Just saying. The forum itself is set up quite nicely but a lot of the people who are still here are toxic. There's nothing you, the owner or anyone else can do to fix that.

Back