Questions about the midcut on the VHX?

Hey Leo/Peter/somebody who might know,

Where is the midcut in the signal chain on the VHX? Also what's frequency/Q-point is it? I'm guessing it's after the preamp but before the FX? I've been messing around with the midcut and the loop EQ to get a real thumpy heavy scooped tone (which I know is usually a mids thing, but damn Diezel's aint the usual).

Thanks!

Ahh, cool you learn something new everyday! I usually don't like scooped tones, but damn, I was fiddling with it, and it sounded goooodddd. Thanks Leo!

Right, when you increase a lot mids and mid-scoop you get something very unique that is both pushy and scooped at the same time!
Yeah, I have a hard time not using the mid cut after I boost the mids! Really like the way it shapes the sound — I don’t personally like playing overly scooped tones.

Yeah, I have a hard time not using the mid cut after I boost the mids! Really like the way it shapes the sound — I don’t personally like playing overly scooped tones.
It's honestly like I just unlocked a whole new realm, I was like "Ohhhhhh, that's why people like scooped tones..."

I've always hated the fizzy hairyness of an overdrived scooped amp. It sounds thick but it doesn't punch, it just lacks a body. I tried it once or twice when I first picked up guitar, hated it, and haven't EQ'd my amp like that in years. But I copied somebody's mildly scooped VH4 settings from a video and it sounded really good. So then the midcut knob started to look tempting... VHX Channel 4, Modern 1, with a mid push in the tone stack and the midcut at 50 has been scrumptuous.

Then I started messing around with it on different channels, got myself a fender clean tone now. I've yet to try it with the band, so I'm not sure how the tones are gonna be in the mix, but digging it so far.

Back