QuickRod+ ANOS Power Tubes= Niiiiiice

M@tt C

I picked up a 2017 QR used back in November, and not knowing the history of the amp I decided to pick up some new power tunes. ASFAIK the power tubes were original (Valve Arts with a Splawn sticker on the base), so after 6 years of unknown use I figured it was some good preventative maintenance.

A gentleman on TGP had a matched quad of ANOS Tesla EL34s (not JJ) for sale at a price only a bit more than brand new current tubes so I grabbed them. They arrived a few weeks ago but I hadn't gotten around to putting them into the Splawn- I diverted a pair temporarily into my Straub and liked them but I decided to swap 'em all into the QuickRod this weekend.

I had already been playing with preamp tube combinations and landed on the stock Chinese in V1, Beijing foil getters in V2 and V3, and a Sovtek LPS in the PI slot and was pretty happy, so I was curious what the power tube swap would bring.

Wow- what a difference!

The amp became smoother, warmer, with more depth, but still aggressive with the Splawn bite. It really brought it more into a vintage vibe, but in a really good way. I noticed the amp was a little more compressed, which I liked. Standard voltage was like having the B+ option on, B+ on was more like half power mode, half power mode was REALLY chewy.

Played at rehearsal yesterday and it was killer with my EVH Wolfgang Special thru my 2x12 with a Scumback M75/ BM75 mix. Our geahead bassist even commented on how good it sounded

Needless to say they are staying and I have a matched pair on the way for the Straub!

Sweet man.

I've heard good things about those tubes. Your preamp selection seems pretty popular as well. I've been (stuck) running JJs for the most part (5751 in PI) but I feel for I play (downtuned metal stuff) those JJs work well (darker/smoother).

Curious as to what your plate voltage is and what Bias you landed on? I also run at half power - was wondering what your plan was there (to save on tubes or chewiness). I have a Splawn 212 cab (Smallblocks) but would love to play through your cab :D

Enjoy!

Sweet man.

I've heard good things about those tubes. Your preamp selection seems pretty popular as well. I've been (stuck) running JJs for the most part (5751 in PI) but I feel for I play (downtuned metal stuff) those JJs work well (darker/smoother).

Curious as to what your plate voltage is and what Bias you landed on? I also run at half power - was wondering what your plan was there (to save on tubes or chewiness). I have a Splawn 212 cab (Smallblocks) but would love to play through your cab :D

Enjoy!
Plate voltage at full power was 485v, I biased at 34ma. Tried it from 30 up to about 38 and landed right in the middle.

I plan on running it a full power with B+ engaged. 50 watts was cool but I liked full power just a bit more.

I like the Tungsol EL34B. They punch pretty hard, nice detail.
What's funny is to me is the stock tubes were just TOO detailed, if that makes sense. Maybe crisp is a better adjective. I wanted a bit smoother on the top end and warmer, and the Teslas were perfect.

I was really surprised how much the QR responded to power tubes.

I did swap in a pair of JJ EL34s in 50 watt mode without rebasing just to see what was up and they def had more clarity/ detail but they lost the warmth and compression I liked.

Back