NAM Amp Captures from the Amp Lab

  • Thread starter Thread starter ilikehats
  • Start date Start date
ilikehats

ilikehats

Active member
Getting started creating NAM amp captures. I'll post them here as I release them. Each pack will include a couple of free models and a full capture set available on my site. First up: Laney GH100L

laney-wm.png


Laney GH100L, made in UK in 1994, modded with a Friedman-style gain switch.
Essentially a JCM800 with a switchable additional tube gain stage - same British midrange, but the Drive switch takes it well past what a stock 800 can do. Slightly darker, more compressed, more "modern" feeling than a stock 800. I call this one Linda in honor of the lady that assembled her back in October of 1994.

linda.jpeg


Captured amp-only DI into a reactive load, A2 architecture, calibrated levels across the board.

Just like an 800, it pairs great with boost pedals. Try it with my SD-1 captures: https://www.tone3000.com/tones/boss-sd-1-boost-73457

Laney GH100L:
  • Power tubes: JJ EL34 Apex Matched Quad biased at 59% plate dissipation
  • Preamp: V1 JJ ECC83MG/12AX7S, V2-V4 EHX 12AX7
Reamp chain:
Motu M4 > Lehle P-Split III > GH100L > Suhr Reactive Load > Motu M4

2 captures free on Tone3000: https://www.tone3000.com/tones/laney-gh100l-free-nam-capture-74515
Full 46-capture pack: https://shop.madhatteramplab.com/s/laney-gh100l-rt

Feedback welcome. First pack I've put together this way, happy to answer questions about the capture process or amp.
 
Last edited:
Tweed-5e3-front-square-wm.jpg


Next up is a handwired 5E3 kit build from several years ago. Started stock, spent years as a mod platform, recently converted back to stock circuit minus one mod I kept: a 3-way negative feedback switch from Rob Robinette's site. Maybe not the most popular amp on RT but don't sleep on this one. Boosted with an SD-1 or an EQ to cut some lows/flubbyiness, it can push some great rock tones.

Even though this is a combo, these are amp "head" captures, amp-only DI, requires your own IR/cab. The speaker and cabinet were not captured. Calibrated and A2 ready.

Gear:
  • Preamp: Sovtek 12AY7, JJ 5751
  • Power: GrooveTubes 6V6-S
  • Rectifier: NOS Sylvania 5Y3
Reamp Chain: Motu M4 > Lehle P-Split III > 5E3 > Suhr Reactive Load > Motu M4

NFB switch positions:
  • Normal: highest gain, earliest breakup
  • No cathode bypass cap: moderate gain, great with boost/dirt pedals
  • Added NFB + no cathode bypass cap: tightest lows, cleanest, most headroom
2 captures free on Tone3000: https://www.tone3000.com/tones/tweed-deluxe-5e3-75305
Full 17-capture pack: https://shop.madhatteramplab.com/s/tweed-5e3-rt
 
Last edited:
When are captures gonna be done of just power amps? Vht 2150, mono block etc
 
I'll have to get my hands on them first. I've been working on capturing the Laney power and preamp separately, its a little different than doing the whole amp head together. I'll do the 5e3 too after I tap it for an fx loop.
 
I'll have to get my hands on them first. I've been working on capturing the Laney power and preamp separately, its a little different than doing the whole amp head together. I'll do the 5e3 too after I tap it for an fx loop.
That's what I figured what an adventure. It would be so great to pair a plexi power section with say a ksr vesta pre amp for example
 
I was just eyeing a used Vesta at the local guitar center today. Totally agree, the pairings would be sick.
 
New pack dropped last week of a completely stock 90s Dual Recto Reissue.

mesa13.jpg


DI models available on T3K:
Orange Vintage Boosted DI: https://www.tone3000.com/tones/mesa-90s-dual-rectifier-ri-orange-vintage-boosted-di-85782
Red Modern Boosted DI: https://www.tone3000.com/tones/mesa-90s-dual-rectifier-ri-red-modern-boosted-di-84830

Full pack includes 68 NAM profiles - 34 DI captures and 34 matching full-rig models covering Orange Clean, Orange and Red Vintage/Modern voices, Bold and Spongy power settings, and tube or diode rectification.

Power Tubes: Stock Mesa 6L6 445 RED
Preamp Tubes: Stock Mesa 12AX7

Reamp chain:
Motu M4 > Lehle P-Split III (ISO out) > Boost (some models) > Mesa 90s Dual Rectifier > Suhr Reactive Load > Motu M4

Full pack here: https://shop.madhatteramplab.com/s/mesa-90s-recto-rt
 
This weekend I captured 7 new models from the Laney. These new models are the same amp setting with seven different boosts into the front end.

Don't sleep on this amp, it rips especially when boosted. So much fun.

Boosts used:
Amp settings:
Hi input
Gain: 7
Master: 6
Treble: 6
Middle: 7
Bass: 6
Presence: 5

These are all included in the update full pack which now has 46 DI models: https://shop.madhatteramplab.com/s/laney-gh100l-rt

laney21.jpg
 
This is my first go at making full rig (amp+cab) captures, but I think they turned out ok. The cab is a borrowed 412 with v30s - its not a glamorous cab, but it sounds good. Mic'd it with an SM57 on the edge of the dust cap and an e906 off the cap.

Two models for each channel. Let me know what you think!
Free T3K Orange Vintage Full Rig
Free T3k Red Modern Full Rig

DI Models available for use with your own IRs too:
Free T3K Red Channel Boosted
Free T3K Orange Channel Boosted

All of these and more are availble in the full 68 model pack on my website here: https://shop.madhatteramplab.com/s/mesa-90s-recto-tgf

mesa02.jpg
 
Cool. The beauty of NAM is how many options there are for captures. Appreciate you taking the time and giving some up for free
 
Back
Top