Randall 412 iso cab?

Maiden22

Are these only for recording a cranked amp? Can these be used in a bedroom playing scenario kind of in place of an attenuator to crank your amp without destroying your ears and getting evicted lol? Has anyone ever tried using an iso cab in this way?

Fluff/Ryan Bruce did a YouTube vid on these a while back its pretty good he seemed to make it sound awesome check it out its somewhere on youtube

Noted! No rest for the Wicked tone is the sound in my head. JCM 800 2203 boosted is hopefully the end of my tone search, just wondering what options I have on keeping the volume down in my apt. I already have been playing a 2555sl with the master at 2 and lead master at 6.5 and no has had an issue so I may be good to go. Thanks for the advice!

Dude just soundproof a closet with some matress foam buy used a 1x12 or 2x12 from GC mic it in there and return it after recording is done if you don't like the tone.

JTyson":s3he4x3c said:
Yes, they are for recording.
What you will actually hear will sound like shit ;)

lol, too funny. A fully sealed chamber can sound boxy... some of the larger enclosures definitely sound better but having a place for it to breathe works better. I have small baffles i built with roxul safe n sound that I surround a cab with (including a lid i lay on top) and then throw a moving blanket or two on there. With the amp on 7 or 8 and a hotplate to roll off a bit of volume, I can crank it to good recording levels. Bass still travels up to other levels of the house but at least it isn't blaring in your face. More importantly, because there are gaps where air and pressure can escape, I don't lose my top end bite. There is a trade off with everything of course. I doubt the iso cab would really be that different anyway, sound would still travel. My way just costs way less than an iso cab.

Maiden22":3f79k5ue said:
Noted! No rest for the Wicked tone is the sound in my head. JCM 800 2203 boosted is hopefully the end of my tone search, just wondering what options I have on keeping the volume down in my apt. I already have been playing a 2555sl with the master at 2 and lead master at 6.5 and no has had an issue so I may be good to go. Thanks for the advice!

As mentioned, a smaller cab will be easier to contain. I use an older Laney 2x12. The tone you have in your head requires that JCM800 to be opened up like I run mine. Betwen 7 and 8 on MV. A Hotplate or any decvent attenuator just knocking a few db's off will work perfectly. I run mine at -8 or -4 setting. Hardly any difference in the tone. End of the day, you bennefit more cranking that MV than you do not using the attenuator. What's more, that SD-1 will sound incredible on a cranked MArshall. Throw in some chorus, layer your guitars, and bam done. You did mention that No Rest was your tone search though and for that I think he was trying the ADA stuff or rack preamps (or was that only live?). No More Tears has a bigger more epic tone and that is the boosted Marshalls to my knowledge.

jc986":3255tcmb said:
You would be better served by a Two Notes Torpedo Live or Torpedo Reload.

Personally, I still hear the difference when you compare the sound coming out of your amp with your torpedo, you will almost always pick your cab. Two notes sounds good, even excellent, but real cab sounds better. My opinion of course (in case some of you think I am speaking with authority... people are sensitive around here lately ;) )

See what I have done in my "studio" is I sound proofed/Muffled a closet shut the door to the closet and bedroom run a speaker cable to my head that way I can adjust my tone without having the amp in there and constantly messing with settings while bumping mice and such I use. Condensor sometimes as like a room Mic but the SM57 is the best with a 1x12 or 2x12 IMHO

Kapo_Polenton":mvzh9nqs said:
jc986":mvzh9nqs said:
You would be better served by a Two Notes Torpedo Live or Torpedo Reload.

Personally, I still hear the difference when you compare the sound coming out of your amp with your torpedo, you will almost always pick your cab. Two notes sounds good, even excellent, but real cab sounds better. My opinion of course (in case some of you think I am speaking with authority... people are sensitive around here lately ;) )

OP seemed concerned not only with quality of recorded tone, but with volume for practicing as well. To get tones comparable to what you would get with the Torpedo I think you'd have to crank up pretty loud. As far as what sounds better, perhaps if you have an acoustically treated environment suitable to playing at super loud volumes regularly and access to a nice collection of microphones, the real cab would sound better. At volumes that wouldn't disturb other apartment residents, I think the Torpedo sounds better.

For me the value of the Two Notes stuff is that I can get an approximation that is IMO at least 90-95% as good as the real thing, and I have access to hundreds of different cabs, and various different miking positions. I have certainly found recorded tones with my Live that I prefer to what I had previously recorded using my own cab with an SM57 or e906. I'm limited to recording in a spare bedroom with no acoustic treatment though and only have one cab and 2 microphones, so the amount of flexibility and freedom that comes with being able to record silently with the Torpedo is definitely worth it for me.

I have a Randall ISO412 and it's pretty cool. The main benefit besides being an ISO cab is that it looks like a regular cab. I think recordings sound good with it. If you were playing live at a club that wanted pretty damn low stage volumes, you could just go to FOH and still be able to get your amp in a sweet spot that might be too loud for the stage with a regular cab AND it will still look like a regular halfstack. That being said, if cash were not an issue I would get a Torpedo live, awesome attenuator or another amp that sounds like what your looking for at apartment volume levels. I would love to get a Torpedo live someday.

A lot of pro musicians use them live to have very little stage volume, and rely on their monitors to hear themselves. I guess it helps with the band mix.

Back