Random Metallica/Megadeth news

311splawndude

Was catching up on some rock news and ran into the following articles I thought you guys might enjoy. As you may know, the new book "Rust In Peace" is out. I need to get this but here is some teaser stuff if you will.

Some really interesting points of view here from Dave Ellefson on beginnings and differences between the two bands:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new..._honest_opinion_on_1st_metallica_bassist.html
"There's all these details in the riffs, and as time went on, even when I would listen to the songs Dave wrote with Metallica on 'Kill 'Em All,' I was like, 'God, his songs were always more kind of progressive... so the next year I think Dave really stepped up his guitar playing, he stepped up his writing."

Kirk talking about Cliff and what Cliff did for Metallica back in the day:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...ded_cliff_burtons_help_with_guitar_solos.html
"Cliff was the only one who actually studied musical theory in earnest. I studied music theory but Cliff went to school and studied it for a couple of years. And so he had a much firmer grasp of musical theory and harmonies. He was really, really good at teaching us how to harmonize guitars and whatnot."

More from Ellefson:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...calls_what_he_had_to_say_about_metallica.html
"He might've played 'Set the World Afire,' and maybe some of the riffs from what became [1986's] 'Devils Island,' that was a riff that he had at that point, and also [1985's] 'Looking Down the Cross,' which was tentatively titled 'Speak No Evil.' He started playing that, and you could just feel - it felt dark, evil and wrong, and you're like, 'I want to do that.' It had that sort of captivating feeling about it."

More from Ellefson. Countdown to Extinction (probably my fav) was the most difficult but the most fun he says:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...se_idea_it_was_to_name_the_band_megadeth.html
"So every day we got to the studio, at least we knew we'd get something to eat, we'd get some cigarettes and beer, and we'd get to make some music. That's how primitive it was." "Being in a band is like being in a relationship or a marriage because you're all in - you're living together, you're making music together, you're eating the same food, you're doing the same drugs. Sometimes you're even dating the same girl!"

:cheers:

I like Metallica songs more and I like Hetfield's singing much more than Mustaine's but I much prefer Marty's playing over Kirk's. So for listening...Metallica. But for learning a solo or something...Megadeth.

I was always in the megadeth camp but having said that I love ride the lightning. And as weird as it sounds I just recently listened to Master of Puppets completely.

So Rust in Peace is probably my favorite Thrash album but Master of Puppets is probably second. Those 2 albums are masterpieces.

Love both bands...but Megadeth was the one for me....insanely better guitarists, musicians in general, more EVIL sounding, at times more progressive.....Dave is a master riff writer for sure.

Rumor is Mustaine will be switching to Gibson guitars. They have made him some prototype King Vs.
Interesting... since I thought he was really happy with Dean guitars? I bet if he does switch, his guitars will now cost more than a fortune. He'll have been with most of the big time guitar companies if he makes the switch too. BC Rich, Jackson, ESP, Dean, ....Gibson?? Always thought his Jackson V's were the best. That Silver one he has is sweet.

Interesting... since I thought he was really happy with Dean guitars? I bet if he does switch, his guitars will now cost more than a fortune. He'll have been with most of the big time guitar companies if he makes the switch too. BC Rich, Jackson, ESP, Dean, ....Gibson?? Always thought his Jackson V's were the best. That Silver one he has is sweet.

While he used to play BC Rich, I'm not sure he was ever an endorser, but correct me if I'm wrong.

His King Vs were always my favorites too. I used to own a KV-1, a KV-Pro, and a couple of KV-3s.

I've been listening to "Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?"a lot lately, what a classic album. So many killer riffs on there.
It's a masterpiece!
50800801411_5c00f967d7_k.jpg

A new sig with a different company at this stage in his life is pretty hilarious. Especially a company he’s not even known for playing, during the entirety of Megadeth. One last money deal I guess before Mega is no more. I can see it being Mega-expensive and the customers being the folks who treat against Deth. Lol

What is this exactly?
My Peace Sells collection, being that it's one of my fav. albums of all time(a thumbs up to anomaly's comment)

Art from the album/time period, the original vinyl, the original cd, the deluxe 25th anniversary deluxe collection that has a TON of stuff for that album

My Peace Sells collection, being that it's one of my fav. albums of all time(a thumbs up to anomaly's comment)

Art from the album/time period, the original vinyl, the original cd, the deluxe 25th anniversary deluxe collection that has a TON of stuff for that album
Cool man. Wish I had a collection like that. What's your fav version of peace sells? the original mix, the suround sound 5.1 or whatever release they did in 2003, or the 2004 remix/remaster? I still like the original the best, but that 5.1 version is pretty damn cool as well. The remix remaster is nice in that you can hear a lot of hidden detail, but I think it loses a bit of it's vibe.

Cool man. Wish I had a collection like that. What's your fav version of peace sells? the original mix, the suround sound 5.1 or whatever release they did in 2003, or the 2004 remix/remaster? I still like the original the best, but that 5.1 version is pretty damn cool as well. The remix remaster is nice in that you can hear a lot of hidden detail, but I think it loses a bit of it's vibe.
Original Mix will always be my fav. do not care for 2004 mixes but I like having them...the 2011 remaster is GOOD, what you'd expect a good remaster to be....not a remix.....except I don't like what they did to My Last Words still fav on original mix but I like having them...the Randy Burns mixes are included too which is pretty awesome and huge quality wav. files are also included including a rare live show during that tour and lots more. It's a comprehensive set and it's pretty damn beautiful...all the art, book and goodies included are phenomenal

Pretty good video of the box set:

Last edited:
Original Mix will always be my fav. do not care for 2004 mixes but I like having them...the 2011 remaster is GOOD, what you'd expect a good remaster to be....not a remix.....except I don't like what they did to My Last Words still fav on original mix but I like having them...the Randy Burns mixes are included too which is pretty awesome and huge quality wav. files are also included including a rare live show during that tour and lots more. It's a comprehensive set and it's pretty damn beautiful...all the art, book and goodies included are phenomenal

Pretty good video of the box set:

Super cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Back