Rebel Yell!!

Axisman5150

I picked up a Rebel 20 and matching 1x12 cab off the local Craigslist to have as a smaller grab'n'go rig when jamming with friends, instead of lugging my Renegade and 2x12 cab. Boy does this thing pack a punch! Really impressed at how versatile this little amp is. It has certainly lived up to the hype from the reviews and videos I've read and seen.
The amp hasn't had too much playing time on the tubes but I wanted to change out the preamp tubes to see if I can tweak out a little more tone. I remember someone on this forum had posted this:
Doug at Dougstubes recommended the following for the Rebel 20:
V1 Ruby 12AX7AC5
V2 Penta Labs 7025C
V3 (PI) Sovtek LP

6V6: Tung-Sol matched pair
EL-84: TAD EL-84 matched pair

I went with the recommended preamp tubes, except the Penta 7025c because they were out of stock and went with it's equivalant, the Ruby AC7HG. So, First I put in the balanced Sovtek LP in the PI slot and noticed the amp just felt better, for lack of a better term. Then the Ruby's, and noticed more gain on tap and the cleans had more punch and clarity. Doug's recommendation certainly made the already stout little amp to a REBEL YELL!! MORE! MORE! MORE! :rock:
I orded the JJ power tubes from Eurotubes, also a great tube vendor, they should be here tomorrow. Will see what those baby's will do.

It was me that posted that Dougs tube set combo.
Glad it has worked for you too.

Then I upgraded to a Rebel 30 head and used those same tubes in that too.
Also a big winner :thumbsup:

Back