Recommend a boost/od that...

Is bright, sparkly, and versatile for both a high-gain boost and low-gain crunch.

Realized I'll probably never find another Catalinbread Silver Kiss, and Catalinbread won't give me the schematics. Will be running this into a 5150 III 50w. Money is no object, but no horsies please. Been down the Klon road before.

Try turning your gain and volume up until your pant legs are shaking . If that doesn't work go purchase a Crate blue Voodoo.

Boss Turbo Overdrive? OD2-r has remote switch capability to switch between normal gain and "Turbo" gain mode...

If it clarifies, I run my gain on about 4/10, and push it with a boost there. But I also play Teles, so I like the low output + high gain cut and clarity.

You said you've been down the Klon road before but have you tried the EHX soul food?? right now Im boosting the blue channel with a mini spark and I fraken love it but it doesn't fit what your looking for.....

I gotta say that one overdrive that really blows me away everytime I plug it in is the MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. For an inexpensive OD, it totally rocks! Very versatile! The 100 hz knob really makes the pedal in my opinion.
Other obvious choices include the Fulltone OCD, Way Huge Green Rino, or the Xotic BB Pre. For something a bit different, the new Boss OD-1X really surprised me.

IceMan":1dhrktwl said:
I gotta say that one overdrive that really blows me away everytime I plug it in is the MXR Custom Badass Modified O.D. For an inexpensive OD, it totally rocks! Very versatile! The 100 hz knob really makes the pedal in my opinion.
Other obvious choices include the Fulltone OCD, Way Huge Green Rino, or the Xotic BB Pre. For something a bit different, the new Boss OD-1X really surprised me.
Boss OD1X is a nice pedal. Also, the Joyo stuff is nice and inexpensive...Ultimate Drive is similar to an OCD. 40 bucks.

Tortuga Fireant. Done.

Max out the volume. Set tone to taste. Set gain A very very low, and set gain B about 9 o'clock. Use the burn or kill to switch between the two gain levels. If you really wanna just throw money away, find an addrock not so old yeller. You will be pleased with both options.

Are you looking for transparency for just a little more than your amp gives? Are you looking for a little mid bump with more clarity? Are you just looking for a little sparkle added in with not much gain? Are you looking for a tighter tone? You are going to get a million recommendation so we need this narrowed down considerably. For a 5150 I would go with a Cussack Screamer but you may not want the TS type.

1) Pedals that tighten- Tube Screamer circuits
2) Pedals that add some sparkle/boost- EP Circuits SHO
3) Pedals that boost with a little hair Tim/Timmy
4) Horsie Circuits
5) Versatile OD's but may not work well into a gainy amp. You will spend the most money looking for one of these. Not all pedals will blend with a 5150's gain

for boosts i tend to go for EQs that tend to sound best for me really flexible with guitars and various amps, might be the ticket

otherwise the Tone Concepts Distillery looks really interesting

I have two overdrives in my arsenal...

1) Jcoloccia Horus...excellent for low to mid gain overdrive, can get so many flavors and is just awesome. There is a used one on reverb.com cuz they are no longer made by john, who is a nice guy...you can watch him build them on youtube.

2) Airis Savage...just got this, 3 way bright switch, is balls out awesome. I hooked it up, and thought, this is what i've been wanting for years. Richard(owner/ceo) is a super nice guy and always answers questions super fast.

I always felt some screamers/overdrives were too smooth and cut me outta the mix, not with these.

Back