Recommend me a new amp

I’ve got a Naylor Duel 100, and it’ll excel for what your looking for. Naylors are very raw, unrefined, and open. They hit hard, have a deep, lower mid tone, and a ton of growl. Mine LOVES every boost I’ve tried with it, and gets downright vicious when boosted. Naylors bark like an old Marshall, they’re thick and chewy like a Bogner, and raw and aggressive like a Recto.
^^ This ^^... Ive got one of Tim Pierce's own Naylor SD60's... Tolex is pretty beat from years of studio cuts, some touring I imagine, etc. But serious mojo and tone... Currently hitting front end with JRAD Archer and/or Suhr original Koko boost... not a bad sound to be had.

I'll definitely look into the Naylor's. I always assumed they were just another flavor of Marshall, so I never payed any attention to them.
They seriously wipe the floor with anything mentioned in this thread so far except the Wizards. They sound how I wished Friedman’s and Bogner’s sounded like except for my Rev 1 Uber, which honestly I like even more overall for high gain than my Naylor's, very rare amp though, but as a whole also like my Naylor more than the wizards I’ve had

Last edited:
They’re Marshally, but with more of everything. More punch, more lows, more aggression, more rawness, more better.
I would agree to all that except the rawness part honestly. Next to my ‘79 JMP2203, the jmp sounds more raw, snarly and higher mids, brighter, but otherwise the Naylor I feel is better in those ways you said. I would also add that it’s tighter, chunkier and of course also can have great, warm cleans. There is though a special, nasty upper mid growl to my ‘79 JMP2203 that nothing else I own has. The only reason really why I’ve still hung on to it. It’s to me the perfect punk amp, but Naylor also is similarly good for that

Last edited:
I would agree to all that except the rawness part honestly. Next to my ‘79 JMP2203, the jmp sounds more raw, snarly and higher mids, brighter, but otherwise the Naylor I feel is better in those ways you said. I would also add that it’s tighter, chunkier and of course also can have great, warm cleans. There is though a special, nasty upper mid growl to my ‘79 JMP2203 that nothing else I own has. The only reason really why I’ve still hung on to it. It’s to me the perfect punk amp, but Naylor also is similarly good for that
I totally see your point, Sam. The JMP definitely brings the rawness, being brighter with higher mids. I admittedly haven’t played one in quite awhile. I would say a JMP is definitely more brash and cutting, but for a darker, lower mid voiced amp, the Naylor is one of the most raw, unpolished sounding amps available, and has much more grunt and punch to it.

Raw, raucous, chainsaw-like grind...I hate to sound like a broken record and the fanboy that I am, but this screams Wizard MCII. The epitome of those adjectives and when smacked with a good boost sounds like an engine that's redlined and about to come apart, but in a hyper aggressive, rip your face off, musical and warm kinda way.

Many of the Fryette/VHT amps will offer a similar vibe, but a bit more HiFi than the Wizard and without the same level of punch/thud/thwack.

I respectfully disagree with braintheory about the Splawn QR. I've owned several of those and they aren't far behind the Wizards I've owned in the Raw, raucous, chainsaw-like grind department IMO, but build quality will not be anything close to a Wizard and is also lagging behind the Freyette/VHT stuff from my experience.

Last edited:
I totally see your point, Sam. The JMP definitely brings the rawness, being brighter with higher mids. I admittedly haven’t played one in quite awhile. I would say a JMP is definitely more brash and cutting, but for a darker, lower mid voiced amp, the Naylor is one of the most raw, unpolished sounding amps available, and has much more grunt and punch to it.
Yeah there's a brash quality, which can be cool sometimes, especially for punk, that none of my other amps quite have. I think being a '70's amp, the older amps just tend to be more rough around the edges in a way that more recent amps, even the Naylor don't quite have in their character, but it's surprisingly close given the more recent age of it. My only other recent made amps similarly raw are the Alessandro and Xits. The Alessandro is just a little more raw imo, maybe partly from being nmv, but not a hard rock or metal amp. Xits is a Vox-ish EL84 type amp

Some great Diezel Herberts could be had at $2500 here and there . I love it’s cleans to and gets underrated classic tones too

What’s the best Marshall killer Naylor to get
I think all the Naylor models are supposed to basically have the same basic core tone, but different features, wattage, etc. I've heard some say the SuperDrive ones sound a little better, but the SD's are the only ones I've actually played. I don't see them as exactly Marshall killers, but rather just great amps in their own right with Marshall-y things in their tone, but still unique things to their tone and feel from Marshall's. It certainly isn't killing my '67 Tremolo or '79 JMP2203, but lives in its own place for me

Last edited:
I think all the Naylor models are supposed to basically have the same basic core tone, but different features, wattage, etc. I've heard some say the SuperDrive ones sound a little better, but the SD's are the only ones I've actually played. I don't see them as exactly Marshall killers, but rather just great amps in their own right with Marshall-y things in their tone, but still unique things to their tone and feel from Marshall's. It certainly isn't killing my '67 Tremolo or '79 JMP220
I think all the Naylor models are supposed to basically have the same basic core tone, but different features, wattage, etc. I've heard some say the SuperDrive ones sound a little better, but the SD's are the only ones I've actually played. I don't see them as exactly Marshall killers, but rather just great amps in their own right with Marshall-y things in their tone, but still unique things to their tone and feel from Marshall's. It certainly isn't killing my '67 Tremolo or '79 JMP2203
Ok cool . I want a 78 jmp as well . How’s that 79 ?

Raw, raucous, chainsaw-like grind...I hate to sound like a broken record and the fanboy that I am, but this screams Wizard MCII. The epitome of those adjectives and when smacked with a good boost sounds like an engine that's redlined and about to come apart, but in a hyper aggressive, rip your face off, musical and warm kinda way.

Many of the Fryette/VHT amps will offer a similar vibe, but a bit more HiFi than the Wizard and without the same level of punch/thud/thwack.

I respectfully disagree with braintheory about the Splawn QR. I've owned several of those and they aren't far behind the Wizards I've owned in the Raw, raucous, chainsaw-like grind department IMO, but build quality will not be anything close to a Wizard and is also lagging behind the Freyette/VHT stuff from my experience.
Wizards are great amps, no doubt. I would say to the OP may wanna just go with either Wizard or Naylor, but I like Naylor as a whole a bit more for my taste and Wizard is out of the OP's budget

I don't hear the Fryette as being more hi-fi than the Wizard, but rather just more modern and less organic. Amps like the Diezel's and whatnot are not at all hi-fi in my mind the way others describe, but rather just modern, compressed and synthetic sounding, which is often incorrectly used interchangeably with hi-fi. True hi-fi tone imo is the Schroeder and Alessandro amps I've got, but those amps are more suited for low to medium gain type stuff. Those amps have a level of clarity, detail and solidity to the notes that is actually what I feel hi-fi tone is. Those others amps aren't actually very good in regards to hearing lots of detail to the notes. The Schroeder is modern sounding, without being at all synthetic and the most open sounding amp I've heard. More than even my Hiwatt. A lot more actually

As for Splawn, many will disagree with me in regards to that, but I had once QR's from 2005, 2018, 2012, a Nitro, Mesa/Boogie Mark III, Germino and Helios all in the same room and it was clear as day to all of us there how much worse the Splawns sounded and felt in direct comparison. No way in hell was it a raw amp compared to those others, especially the mark iii, but I admit if only the Splawns were there I could have maybe liked them decently well, but they were just getting exposed and humiliated in that context. Hard to explain, but compared to the other amps the QR's were all sounding bright and brittle yet still in a way muffled at the same time, not dark though at all (except for the Nitro), hollow and just badly voiced mids, terrible feel. Going to the Mark III or Helios was like removing a blanket despite them not actually sounding brighter or less compressed and they just had an infinitely more detailed, rich tone over the Splawns as did of course the Germino. I've had many other experiences besides that with Splawn's and never liked them, unless they were the only amp I tried in the room and even then still never loved any. Something about the Splawn's voicing is just weird/off to me. Like even when I've AB'ed them with Friedman's, somehow going to the Friedman's also had this effect of removing the blanket from the speaker even though the Friedman's are clearly darker sounding amps. Not sure what it is. It's like they're filtering out some frequencies maybe. Not a good thing imo

Last edited:
Ok cool . I want a 78 jmp as well . How’s that 79 ?
Love my '79, especially with my klon boosting it. Naylor covers more ground and is in other ways better, but can't get quite as raw, nasty or upper middy in the growl. Especially when you really turn it up. It gets this outta control sound in a good way that you just don't get in any amp made after the early '80's or so. It's kinda like riding an old wooden roller coaster vs a new steel one. The latter may actually be a lot faster and bigger drops, but the former can be actually more thrilling or scary because it's a rougher ride. The Naylor is kinda like a recently made wooden roller coaster if that makes sense (like El Toro at Six Flags lol). Not as rough as the old wooden ones, but more than any steel ones and about as fast as you'll get for wooden. Maybe a silly analogy, but that's what I've got haha. Also haven't actually gone on any rollercoasters since I was 14

Last edited:
Back