Remember scooping your mids for the first time???

Agreed. More ridiculous myths that you need vastly different settings for playing live vs in your room. Everyone I know that has a modern high gain amp, especially something like a 5153, pretty much sets them the same whether they are playing live or in their house. I don’t know where people come
Up with this shit that is just regurgitated over and here ad nauseum on guitar forums.

i think that comes from guys who have amps that just dont cut it against a loud drummer and they have to do things like crank mids and lower the gain a ton to be heard, being heard dosent mean it sounds good though. i know ive jammed with a few drummers where theres no way a 50w and even some 100w amps were gonna be able to hang, headroom goes quick playing intense thrash metal.

Last edited:
I think I first did it on a Laney Linebacker Pro (combo) that I had 80s, early nineties and playing Helloween's Keeper part1 !

i think that comes from guys who have amps that just dont cut it against a loud drummer and they have to do things like crank mids and lower the gain a ton to be heard, being heard dosent mean it sounds good though. i know ive jammed with a few drummers where theres no way a 50w and even some 100w amps were gonna be able to hang, headroom goes quick playing intense thrash metal.

This! My drummer is loud as hell and gets even louder with a few beers LOL. I need at least a 50w amp to cut through. I love my mini amp heads (20 - 25 watts) but even through a 4x12 dimed they barely cut through with a loud drummer. I never understood how some people claim their mini heads could hang with a drummer through a 4x12. :unsure:

This! My drummer is loud as hell and gets even louder with a few beers LOL. I need at least a 50w amp to cut through. I love my mini amp heads (20 - 25 watts) but even through a 4x12 dimed they barely cut through with a loud drummer. I never understood how some people claim their mini heads could hang with a drummer through a 4x12. :unsure:

Yeah 20w might work for grateful dead or top 40 cover bands, not gonna work with any kind of hard hitting metal

Yeah 20w might work for grateful dead or top 40 cover bands, not gonna work with any kind of hard hitting metal
Doesn’t matter what style of music; it’s all about how loud your drummer is. No fucking way ANY amp not at 50w or more would keep up with my last drummer. He’d find a way to bury the rest of us if we played a Gordon Lightfoot song 😂
Thankfully we didn’t.

I think going through a bunch of amps is just part of being a guitar player . No matter what you have at any current time you will eventually start to crave something new and different (Even when others insist your tone is great as is ) , it's just a never ending quest that's seemingly impossible to overcome .

Some people can't be happy with a single sports car they eventually need multiple garages full of different sports cars .
I went through a period where I was buying and selling amps like crazy, but for the last 8 years or so I've just been using one amp, well 2 if you count the little Katana combo. I guess I'm over that phase?? Maybe it'll come back, who knows??

I don’t remember scooping mids because I never added them in the first place. What an ugly sound they make for an electric guitar.

First time I played with scooped mids was using an ADA MP-1. Accidentally figured out you could have a negative setting on the MP-1 and was instantly rewarded with chugs.

I will say I tend to gravitate to amps that have a lot of mids. A 5150 has a lot of mids at 2 or 3 imho. My Mark iv I tend to keep the standard v shaped on the GEQ but not pulled all the way down.

Doesn’t matter what style of music; it’s all about how loud your drummer is. No fucking way ANY amp not at 50w or more would keep up with my last drummer. He’d find a way to bury the rest of us if we played a Gordon Lightfoot song 😂
Thankfully we didn’t.
My drummer was like that . He quit to join a cover band . He’s coming back because he didn’t want to play quiet

My drummer was like that . He quit to join a cover band . He’s coming back because he didn’t want to play quiet
I had an evh lbx2 when I started playing seriously again and I thought 15 watts could keep up. WRONG! I had that shit dimed and couldn't keep up

I hate wimpy drummers that don't know how to hit or wear ear muffs and still hit like a sissy. I've been in a couple cover bands like that and I always had to turn down so as to not hurt the drummers poor ears, haha.

I kinda disagree with a 100 watt amp not cutting it though, cause every 100 watt tube amp I've played has had enough guts to hang with the loudest of drummers in a metal band.

I had an evh lbx2 when I started playing seriously again and I thought 15 watts could keep up. WRONG! I had that shit dimed and couldn't keep up
There is a big difference between the lbx 1 and 2, the first one is stupisly loud, or maybe just a terrible volume taper - sounds great when the wife, kids and dog are out!

There is a big difference between the lbx 1 and 2, the first one is stupisly loud, or maybe just a terrible volume taper - sounds great when the wife, kids and dog are out!
I've had all three, LBX 1, 2, and S.
It's only the S that's quiet. The 1 and 2 are equally loud, IME.
The thing that does change is that the 1 sounds good quiet, the 2 sounds like fizzzzzzz unless you turn it up.

Back