Remember the "3 question rule" when selling anything

EXPcustom

Ok, I was going to say this applies only to gear but honestly if you're selling anything on the internet, gear, car, lawn mower etc... if you have plenty of pics and a decent description. If someone asks you three or more separate questions about the item including asking for more pics or measurements, especially measurements of neck width and string spacing they will never buy the item. 100% of the time.

Some guidelines to go by, if you are going back and forth on offer amounts those definitely do not count as questions, like "will you take 1800 shipped?" then a counter offer etc. If they ask two or three question but in a single message and it's something you left out of the description then I don't really count that.

What I am saying is three separate questions or more they will never buy what you are selling, I have yet to be proven wrong unless of course you lacked pics or failed to describe the item properly. Asking for additional pics counts as a question, usually those guys asking for additional pics are using them for other purposes especially if they ask you to take a pic of the piece of gear with the sun setting in the background at a 90 degree angle with a pic of a coffee mug on top of it. :doh:

My friends and I have noticed something similar: at our respective offices, we do offer coffee, water, and soft drinks for prospective clients. Across the board - the folks that want ‘refreshments’ rarely end up hiring and the ones who politely decline the refreshments are the ones worried enough about their problem that they just want to get you hired and get started. It’s almost 100%. ‘Oh, I’d like coffee, do you have cream? Sugar? Have you got any napkins? Maybe a water after this cup of coffee...’ And then ‘OK - I’ll think about it and get back with you’

I was in negotiations with. people talking me down with both my TriAxis and Mark V when someone came along and paid my asking price. The asked what happened? Well, you were dicking around and sometimes that's the price you pay for being a cheap ass!

I do like the 3Q premise though.

Yup, if a buyer is asking a bunch of specifics, I know from experience they are going to flake and it’s a waste if my time to continue responding. I won’t waste time haggling either. I know what I want, if you give me a reasonable offer I’ll consider it, but if I feel like you undershot me unreasonably, I might respond with a “nah” at most not even bothering with a counter. You either want it or you don’t.

Asked a guy 4 questions and asked for a gut shot on a preamp from a builder I’d never heard of. Dude complied, I bought it right after he sent the pic.

Same here. I usually always ask questions before buying. Too many shady people out there. In return it tells me the type of person I’m doing business with.

I can agree with most of that. Just this week I sold an Agile LP that I have had for 5 years or so. Priced it at $200 and posted 8 pictures along with what I thought was an honest and accurate description of anything that might be wrong with it. Been burned a few times buying guitars online and really try to avoid doing that to anyone that I am selling to.

Lot's of questions and interest because of the price. As I looked a little closer at the guitar after the questions came in, I amended my description to include some set up issues that I had not noticed before. One guy said that he wanted it right away and I asked him to give me a day to adjust the truss rod and let it sit overnight. He bought the next day. The other 6 people kept asking questions and wanted me to wait a week and blah blah blah.

Yeah, either they won't buy it at all or they'll buy it then try to return it for some asisine reason

When I'm buying an expensive guitar (not a beater), I tend to ask specifically that the truss rod has travel in both directions and turns easily and that there are no problems with the neck relief or frets. I need that confirmed in writing before a spend a lot of money an get something that has structural issues. If the seller isn't willing to confirm those things, I'll just move on.

For amps, I'll ask if everything works if the description isn't explicit.

I don’t usually ask a lot of questions. I want to know how old it is and how used it is. If the person is telling me the truth is another story.

I have a list of a few questions I ask on every sale, before I will buy an amp or a guitar. Unless the questions are already answered in the ad, they get asked. Shit like "Is the truss rod fully functional", or "any mods done", etc.

There's too many shady sellers out there not to ask. :gethim:

It's true. Sold my last car online and the guy who wound up buying was just like... hey do you have the service records? Yes? Ok, I'll take it. Everybody else who wanted to have an hour long conversation about the car and shoot the shit and asked me tons of questions about it... they all flaked.

I've been selling a ton of gear this last year, and I have learnt one thing:

The more they talk, the unlikelier they are to cough up the cash.

Steinmetzify":1kvzbnu6 said:
Asked a guy 4 questions and asked for a gut shot on a preamp from a builder I’d never heard of. Dude complied, I bought it right after he sent the pic.

Rules don't apply to cool guys. :thumbsup:

Honestly you're probably the exception to the rule but it sounds like the seller may not have provided enough info and pics so what you asked was clearly not out of line.

guitarnerdswe":1mixfskp said:
I've been selling a ton of gear this last year, and I have learnt one thing:

The more they talk, the unlikelier they are to cough up the cash.

I have had a listing or two that had been up six months or more and I literally had a guy checking in with me every month stating he was serious and giving me an update on his financial situation including gear he was moving to buy my gear etc. To this day he has still not bought the item. I am sure in a few weeks if I still have it for sale he will update me on his current status with gear/money and why he can't afford to buy my guitar yet. :doh:

LP Freak":1kny2vxo said:
Same here. I usually always ask questions before buying. Too many shady people out there. In return it tells me the type of person I’m doing business with.

I'm in line with LP's way a doing business here. I don't mind questions when selling but I usually try to anticipate that and provide plenty of pics and descriptions. There are alot of shady things going on now with alot of dishonest buyers no doubt, which is why I like to buy/sell here first with long time members.

cardinal":115uy4sf said:
When I'm buying an expensive guitar (not a beater), I tend to ask specifically that the truss rod has travel in both directions and turns easily and that there are no problems with the neck relief or frets. I need that confirmed in writing before a spend a lot of money an get something that has structural issues. If the seller isn't willing to confirm those things, I'll just move on.

For amps, I'll ask if everything works if the description isn't explicit.

In my experience most guitar players aren't qualified to turn the truss rod.

The missing truss rod cover in the pics is a "not gonna buy that" for me

I had a guy text me today about the SLO I have for sale . Didn't ask any questions and didn't show up at the time and location to buy the amp . Texted me 45 minutes later and said he was still thinking on it and sorry he left me hanging that he was out riding his bike .
His wife probably said no

What a dickhead.

Back