Remember the "3 question rule" when selling anything

splatter":3chfkt4j said:
cardinal":3chfkt4j said:
When I'm buying an expensive guitar (not a beater), I tend to ask specifically that the truss rod has travel in both directions and turns easily and that there are no problems with the neck relief or frets. I need that confirmed in writing before a spend a lot of money an get something that has structural issues. If the seller isn't willing to confirm those things, I'll just move on.

For amps, I'll ask if everything works if the description isn't explicit.

In my experience most guitar players aren't qualified to turn the truss rod.

The missing truss rod cover in the pics is a "not gonna buy that" for me
Or sometimes if they are qualified they just play dumb, "What is a trust rod?"

I always ask some questions when buying a big ticket item just to get a feeling of the seller. I don't mind for small things, I buy directly, but for an amp/guitar etc. Just the way the answers are written, the overall tone, tells a lot. Sometimes I read and I'm not interested anymore at all. Sometimes, I read and I paypal the money right away. Seems to work allright since I never got burnt even once until now. Good communication skills are mandatory for a deal to go smoothly IMHO.

Just had more wasted time with long list of questions and requests of clips and pics on top of a very thorough ad. Guess who bought? It was the guy not requesting all the additional stuff. :doh:

Jack Luminous":3b3mi57k said:
I always ask some questions when buying a big ticket item just to get a feeling of the seller. I don't mind for small things, I buy directly, but for an amp/guitar etc. Just the way the answers are written, the overall tone, tells a lot. Sometimes I read and I'm not interested anymore at all. Sometimes, I read and I paypal the money right away. Seems to work allright since I never got burnt even once until now. Good communication skills are mandatory for a deal to go smoothly IMHO.

Are you asking him multiple questions in one message or are you asking him one question at a time, requesting pics and or clips over a series of a day or two? There is a difference, just curious?

I had a guy ask me about 50 questions on a Standout I was selling. Asking was I the original owner, where did I buy it from, what did I pay for it, can you do 20 less than your asking price and include shipping. I honestly was deciding to keep it after the last sell didnt work out but I finally agreed so he would stop sending me "whats up bro" questions. Then as soon as I agreed radio silence. Im just going to keep it cause I really love the pedal I just dont want to have stuff laying around that I dont use daily.

EXPcustom":wfz8x7za said:
Jack Luminous":wfz8x7za said:

Are you asking him multiple questions in one message or are you asking him one question at a time, requesting pics and or clips over a series of a day or two? There is a difference, just curious?

Usually 4 or 5 simple questions in the first message is enough to know everything I need to know. I never request additional pics or clips. If there's not enough clear pics in the first place, I'm not interested. I don't need clips either since I already know what I'm buying. It's usually a very simple process and enough to know what kind of guy I'm dealing with. I then either paypal the money right away or just reply I'm not interested anymore.

ClintN667":3grmkjy3 said:
I had a guy ask me about 50 questions on a Standout I was selling. Asking was I the original owner, where did I buy it from, what did I pay for it, can you do 20 less than your asking price and include shipping. I honestly was deciding to keep it after the last sell didnt work out but I finally agreed so he would stop sending me "whats up bro" questions. Then as soon as I agreed radio silence. Im just going to keep it cause I really love the pedal I just dont want to have stuff laying around that I dont use daily.

i always found that a strange question, "where did you buy it from and how much did you pay?"

mooncobra":v0iu5smh said:
ClintN667":v0iu5smh said:

i always found that a strange question, "where did you buy it from and how much did you pay?"

It's none of my business when I buy something. I only ask questions about the state/shape of the item. For example "Is it modded in any way ?", "Was it repaired/checked/setup recently ?", "How are the frets?", "Is the trussrod working ?", "How's the action ?", "What kind of tubes in there, and how old are they ?" etc. I the guy answers clearly, I then propose a price and pays immediately if we come to an agreement.

mooncobra":1xqsvcpt said:
ClintN667":1xqsvcpt said:

I've had a few weirdo gear stalkers writing down the serial numbers of guitars and then when I went to sell them they accuse me of buying it for x amount off some website I had never used or off some foreign website six months to a year ago. Reality was I got it in a trade recently and paid no where near the price they claim I did and I am just reselling for cash since it was a trade and I need cash. :confused:

Back