Renegade = Brown Sound

Well.. sort of. That chewy "marshall about to explode" lower midrange register isn't there but overall, I'm pleased.

My hats off to you Mr. Egnater for putting this caliber of tone within the average guy's budget... too bad the amp doesn't come with Ed's chops :cry:

1) Brown sound? Sort of-ish. I can hear similarities, but that tone is so well known, intricate, and unique, it's hard to cop it without amps that are made just to do that sound.

2) Brown sound or not, that was some seriously ass kicking tone, dude. :yes: :thumbsup:

I think that sounds fabulous dude. Your chops ain't all bad either my friend!

I think this is a great testament for someone who just "plugs into a Renegade" at GC and says it's an ok amp, but didn't sound great.........I mean common man, spend some time, tweak it and dial it in. Good job. You should post this on the GP. Of course some will probably dog the tone anyway....... :no:

Buckeyedog":38ocdryt said:
I think that sounds fabulous dude. Your chops ain't all bad either my friend!

I think this is a great testament for someone who just "plugs into a Renegade" at GC and says it's an ok amp, but didn't sound great.........I mean common man, spend some time, tweak it and dial it in. Good job. You should post this on the GP. Of course some will probably dog the tone anyway....... :no:
Well, claiming any tone to be brown sound will bring the harshest of criticism. No other "x sound" will be scrutinized more than the brown type. :)

I think a lot of people have this ideal notion of what is "brown" and for me, that's VH1 and 2. I've heard a lot of guys though saying more or less any old plexi is brown and though the renegade doesn't exactly cop a plexi's tone, it delivers an excellent ballpark approximation of that type of sound.

What's hilarious is that it comes much closer to "that" type of tone than any recent production marshalls (besides the plexi reissue)

anyways, here's the direct recording from that video. I panned the original track that was on the right back to the center (left the left hand track alone) and duplicated the track on the right, panned it about 75% to the right and added reverb then pulled most of the dry signal out of that track so it's mostly reverb on the right.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/4-renegadebrown.mp3

Rogue":1p24m6bz said:
Well, claiming any tone to be brown sound will bring the harshest of criticism. No other "x sound" will be scrutinized more than the brown type. :)

So true!! :no:

How about just "great tone"?! :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:

Buckeyedog":2dedrkh9 said:
Rogue":2dedrkh9 said:

So true!! :no:

How about just "great tone"?! :LOL: :LOL: :thumbsup:
Why not a "green sound" :D ?????By the way,that sounded great my friend!!!!!

True "brown" or not that was some great great tones. Very very nice!
Also what did you use to record the video and amp?

Thanks man. I used a logitech c600 (OK but not great) and an sm57 and 421 on a splawn 412 with the mics on a lead 80 and scumback xh75-lhdc and for the video, a rode k2 for room sound.

Sounds great bro! I remember you from the Carvin board! Killer chops my friend! I played a Renegade the other day! I think the Mod 50 gets closer to what you are going for with the Marshall vibe! That's what I have.

yeah I played a mod 50 head and port city 2x12 with the bassman and eg5 modules. It was beautiful. The cleans on the renegade are better (IMO) than the bassman module I played but the EG5 has more gain and more quality to the sound than the renegade... though for $2000, I'd certainly hope so.

finding a mod 50 2x12 though proved extremely difficult. that's what I was after but the wife is between jobs so guitar center's 12 month financing was the only option (right now). The 2 module egnater preamp though is definitely a future possibility!

FastRedPonyCar":1frn0kxq said:
I think a lot of people have this ideal notion of what is "brown" and for me, that's VH1 and 2. I've heard a lot of guys though saying more or less any old plexi is brown and though the renegade doesn't exactly cop a plexi's tone, it delivers an excellent ballpark approximation of that type of sound.

What's hilarious is that it comes much closer to "that" type of tone than any recent production marshalls (besides the plexi reissue)
I wasn't trying to knock what you had going on. I think it's a good approximation of Eddie's tone. Especially from the Renegade, which I would have not thought could have sounded that way. At any rate, it sounded great.

Awesome. I liked the sizzle, my Renegade through a Bogner OS 2X12 with V-30's never sounded that full.

Great chops bro!

What speakers are in the Splawn 4X12?

Great demo, man. I really dig the tone you are getting!

I wouldn't have associated the Renegade with the early VH tone, but you certainly got a good
approximation of it. I think if you added some reverb, you'd sound pretty darn close.

:rock:

marvcus":7dague87 said:
Great demo, man. I really dig the tone you are getting!

I wouldn't have associated the Renegade with the early VH tone, but you certainly got a good
approximation of it. I think if you added some reverb, you'd sound pretty darn close.

:rock:

go back up a few posts. I posted an mp3 of the direct recording with additional reverb over on the right channel.

FastRedPonyCar":94l400sn said:
yeah I played a mod 50 head and port city 2x12 with the bassman and eg5 modules. It was beautiful. The cleans on the renegade are better (IMO) than the bassman module I played but the EG5 has more gain and more quality to the sound than the renegade... though for $2000, I'd certainly hope so.

finding a mod 50 2x12 though proved extremely difficult. that's what I was after but the wife is between jobs so guitar center's 12 month financing was the only option (right now). The 2 module egnater preamp though is definitely a future possibility!

I hear ya. I didn't like the EG5, I am not a gain head. I prefer the SL, SL2 and EG3/4X. I am still on the fence with the Bassman. Maybe a Deluxe mod will do me. I hope you are eventually able to get the Mod 50. Dude, I have been playing over 25 years and have never been this happy.

I am picking up a Rebel 30 so i know what you mean about the import Egnater series, they kick butt for the price.

Your tone reminds me of what I can get out of the TM212 cabinet. For a second I thought that's what you were using!

RED, I see lots of your vids. Who makes the TITON amps?????

Back