Retolex of Marshall 4x12

BesaMoogie

I decided to go through the whole hassle of retolexing my so far favorite Marshall 4x12. It`s a late 70ies cab with G12-65 speakers. The tolex had tears and stains and there was a hole in the fornt grill cloth. And of course, the cab came without the Marshall logo and casters. Getting rid of all the old glue was a real pita, but after that the work was kind of fun. Got some pics of the whole process.

Attachments

• IMG_8404 2.jpg
    IMG_8404 2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8429 2.jpg
    IMG_8429 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8432 2.jpg
    IMG_8432 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8459.jpg
    IMG_8459.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8513.jpg
    IMG_8513.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8516.jpg
    IMG_8516.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 61
Nice work man. Looks great. Are you going to break a bottle of champagne over it to re-launch it before the logo goes back on?
Lets see. I def. needs some aging now :ROFLMAO:

Yes, the logo is still missing. They cost quite a bit for a little piece of plastic, but the cab looks kind of naked without

Great job, Man.
I took all of the ripped hanging tolex off of my 1970 Marshall cab and it was such a pain in the ass removing the remaining glue, I never replaced it. I still have a 4 yard roll of the correct Levant tolex.

But, it looks real good, I sanded very smooth and I put linseed oil on it, very ‘natural’ 🤣
Kudos to you for having the patience to finish the job, BM!

Well done. Looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

Edit: surprised you didnt opt for changing out to a plywood back.

Last edited:
Great job! I'm about to redo a slant 2x12 and now you've got me debating check cloth.

Actually, I'm really debating doing Duratex paint vs tolex...my cab is a 100% live in the garage or gig cab, so might try the simpler Duratex.

Great job, Man.
I took all of the ripped hanging tolex off of my 1970 Marshall cab and it was such a pain in the ass removing the remaining glue, I never replaced it. I still have a 4 yard roll of the correct Levant tolex.

But, it looks real good, I sanded very smooth and I put linseed oil on it, very ‘natural’ 🤣
Kudos to you for having the patience to finish the job, BM!
Removing the glue was acutally the hardest part of the job. Tolexing still took some time, but at least you were seeing progress which kept you going!

Well done. Looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics!!!

Edit: surprised you didnt opt for changing out to a plywood back.
I was thinking of it briefly, but I liked the sound of the cab the way it is and didn`t want to change anything. What can someone expect when changing the back plate from MDF to ply?

Back