Revv amps?

wow, lots of hate on their amps. I've played the G20 and wasn't impressed. I played the G120 at Matt's Music once, but wasn't really able to crank it, so my experience with it was quite limited. However...

I REALLY like the G4 pedal! It's a mainstay on my pedalboard. I play it through my Synergy Fender preamp and it sounds absolutely massive! I tried the G3, which I wasn't a fan of, and the G2- which I half liked.

Recently scored a first gen REVV generator. Everything else in the room made it sound like "meh". Including a Baron Snot Watt. Sure...a boost and a 10 band in the loop would make it better but it wasn't worth the great price of $1300 I paid for it. But I wanted to try one.

Wow, sounds like I'm the only one that really likes my Revv amp. Yeah, I wouldn't have paid the $1350 price for new on the G20, but for $700 used, it's 10x better than other tube amps that cost me $600-900.

I like trying almost everything out there, it keeps things fun and interesting. It also allows me to feel confident that what I current have as my main rig is the best thing out there (for me and my playing). That said, I will probably pass on the Revv as I trust the overwhelming consensus here at the board that it's probably not worth the effort, I had to learn that lesson the hard way with the ENGL Powerball.

What do they remind you off if you pick an amp it’s closest too ? I’ve never heard one
I've had a few Marshalls and two Peaveys (all imports), and played a couple Mesas in-store. The Revv G20 sounds nothing like any of them. It has so much more low end and depth, clarity and note definition without excessive fizz or excessive mids. The Marshalls, Peaveys and Mesas all have excessive mids. While the Mesas sound a lot better, they still have that squawky high-midrange. The Marshalls and Peaveys were all muddy, harsh, abrasive and fizzy, tubby and boxy. The G20 is a bit dark on its own but a Precision Drive fixes that right up. I do wish it had a resonance control, and a gain control for the clean channel would be nice. Separate EQ for each channel would be nice, I hate having to adjust it every time I switch channels. And the cab sims are useless (as usual). But it's the best amp I've ever had and is recording well with mics on 2x12" speakers. I wouldn't pay the $1350 for new, but for $700 used I'm satisfied.

Are they any good? I see they have a lot of YouTube presence. But is it just marketing and hype?

I like the Revv red channel in my Helix... but it's just a Helix.

So what are they like? I'm particularly interested in the G20. I just wished it was based on the red channel rather the purple.

The purple kinda sounds to me like a tamer 5150 and the red kinda like a tamer Rectifier. Is my perception correct?

Thanks!
I've had so many amps in my 30 years and my Revv Generator Mark III is my number one. I love playing it. We play everything from classic rock to alt rock and grunge to metal. Great tones and feel. I like really smooth, refined tones that feel great under the fingers. It works for me, but everyone is different. Amazing amp!
I've owned quite a few, even back to modified Mesa Boogies, Marshall's, etc.
I still have a Bogner, a KSR, a Mesa and so on....

Last edited:
They sound awesome in Jeff Schroeder's rig. (Smashing Pumpkins)

image.jpg
His live tone is killer.

3 words: Bland, boring & generic. I’ll wait for the others who’ve also tried them in person to say the same thing…

This

If you’re considering a Revv, get a KSR.

Also this

Maybe like a worse version of the KSR’s

Also this

They're fine and have killer features, but sound boring as fuck.
And also this

I like trying almost everything out there, it keeps things fun and interesting. It also allows me to feel confident that what I current have as my main rig is the best thing out there (for me and my playing). That said, I will probably pass on the Revv as I trust the overwhelming consensus here at the board that it's probably not worth the effort, I had to learn that lesson the hard way with the ENGL Powerball.

The rig talk hivemind has a remarkable success rate on this sort of stuff

They are meh, expensive, and bland. They have a nice feature set, and a very good marketing team who has leveraged the whole YouTube thing.

But for that kind of money, the "modern high gain" arena is one of the most crowded market corners in the amp world. Also you can simply get a KSR Colossus or whatever and have all those tones and features for realsies.

This

Also this

Also this

And also this

They are meh, expensive, and bland. They have a nice feature set, and a very good marketing team who has leveraged the whole YouTube thing.

But for that kind of money, the "modern high gain" arena is one of the most crowded market corners in the amp world. Also you can simply get a KSR Colossus or whatever and have all those tones and features for realsies.
Baja Tele and an AC15, if ya can't get it done...

Thanks, agreed. I actually recently sold my Colossus with the "Wood Mod" earlier this year. It's a great amp, but was just a bit too "even" across the EQ spectrum and a touch smooth for what I am currently going for. But still great in many respects. Kyle makes fantastic products. In terms tones, features and flexibility, I have yet meet an amplifier that has the multitude of tone shaping options and features of my Koch Supernova. So many options.

Last edited:
Are they any good? I see they have a lot of YouTube presence. But is it just marketing and hype?

I like the Revv red channel in my Helix... but it's just a Helix.

So what are they like? I'm particularly interested in the G20. I just wished it was based on the red channel rather the purple.

The purple kinda sounds to me like a tamer 5150 and the red kinda like a tamer Rectifier. Is my perception correct?

Thanks!
Buy a FM9 you ll have 3 channels of Revv amp

I want to Love them but I don't... Derek is a friend and great guy but I just have not been able to bond with the amps.

And what were they thinking with that G20??? Yuk!!!

~ss

Thanks, agreed. I actually recently sold my Colossus with the "Wood Mod" earlier this year. It's a great amp, but was just a bit too "even" across the EQ spectrum and a touch smooth for what I am currently going for. But still great in many respects. Kyle makes fantastic products. In terms tones, features and flexibility, I have yet meet an amplifier that has the multitude of tone shaping options and features of my Koch Supernova. So many options.

The NFB knob is a game changer for Kyle's amps because I think most people that don't fully jive with them feel the same way you do about them. You just turn the NFB down and it starts to lose that smoothness.

I know he's debating making it standard on all future builds.

The NFB knob is a game changer for Kyle's amps because I think most people that don't fully jive with them feel the same way you do about them. You just turn the NFB down and it starts to lose that smoothness.

I know he's debating making it standard on all future builds.
Interesting...I had not heard of this feature.

One of their demo guys Shawn Tubbs gets great tones out of them IMO from what I have heard
I always thought of them As a metal amp but he definitely isn’t a thrash guy

The Revv Generator is the only amp in the Line 6 Helix lineup that I like. I was going to come here and ask the same question as the OP. It seems, on paper, that it should be the perfect amp and is the only amp to me that sounds great in the Helix. I haven't tried it yet in Fractal but I hear they just added it.

Oh boy! I ended up here because I've been considering offering my Generator 120 III for trade locally and was wondering what other people think of it.

I was super excited when I first got it, but after nearly two years, I've realized that I barely plug into it. I have 6 other amps and tend to chose them over it.

I keep thinking to myself that it sounds kinda like I'm using a plugin through my monitors, regardless of settings. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like a want something more raw.

Back