Revv Generator 120 Metal (clips)

From my experience, my KSR Gemini is the overall best amp I've ever owned. My experience with Revv was not a positive one at all. I felt the amp was bland and lacked any sort of character. Unfortunately I have no input on the Shiva, but have owned a couple Uber's over the years. Based on clips though, I feel the Shiva is what your describing.
I like the Shiva. Even with 6L6, KT88, etc.... It's still thick and forgiving. Mids aren't as fat maybe as the XTC and the amp is not aggressive like a Marshall or metal amp.
My Archon is way more aggressive.

I only wish the Shiva had a footswitch to control the effects loop. That's important to me. :(
I can manage but it's a pain.

I contacted KSR and they recommended the Juno as the most forgiving and fun to play. Gemini and other models as sounding slightly bigger but more stiff.

Colossus seems awesome with all the channels and options.

So maybe I should try my PRS Archon with E34Ls and my Mark V to see if I prefer over my 6CA7 tubes.

I used to only use EL34s.
I was told 6CA7 are the same with bigger lows. They improved my Shiva, and made it better for rhythm.

I think I found my Mark V more chewy with 34s but not as good at rhythm.

But maybe that smooth polished thing is something that just works for me? I could have a Shiva with the Bogner Red and Blue pedals and have lots at my feet.

The Shiva lacked the ability to be big and aggressive like my other more aggressive amps. Maybe a pedal like the KSR Ceres would work into the clean.
IME I found EL34’s to be most aggressive over E34L’s and 6CA7’s. At least in the mids more aggressive. Both those latter 2 though will have more bottom end and the 34L’s tend to sound more efficient, higher wattage, but less snarl/bite imo

Maybe those 6CA7’s are just the right fit in the Shiva. I wouldn’t know. I have some amps where some of my vintage 6CA7’s are my top choice in them. It’s very hard to predict which tubes will be just right for each amp. No substitute to actually trying it out and letting the ears decide

I felt the same with EL34 vs 6L6’s in the mark

Yes, maybe the smooth, polished thing could be your cup of tea. Friedman’s are also like that. Although I still think maybe if you get to try a Naylor, good modded Marshall or stock with the right boost, maybe it could be even better (it certainly is for me)

I’ve not tried ever boosting a Shiva, but I still would think if you want very big and aggressive to probably just go with a different amp. The Mezzabarba’s are also very good amps that I think fit your descriptions. I’d take them over the XTC’s. They’re like a cross between a SLO and Marshall, but darker and more evil sounding

Last edited:
You keep saying ‘chewy’ sir.

Ever tried an Orange?

My #1 amp is a Herbert MKI, but my top 3 include that, an Orange Dual Dark and a Rockerverb MKI.

Sick amps, completely different gain structure than anything else, people are always shocked when they hear them cause they think Oranges are only for doom and sound fuzzy. Those guys either aren’t dialing them in right or are just plain wrong. They do excel at those things of course, but they can be as tight as anything boosted and it’s a really different flavor.

I really prefer the Herbert for practice and recording but if for some reason I had to sell it I’d be pretty happy to still have the DD and the RV.

Good friend of mine recently picked up the OR15 and we were shocked when we compared it to our ‘big boy’ amps. That thing crushes hard.

Between us, we have Diezels, Oranges, Bogner, Peaveys, EVHs and some good SS amps for doom. It hung with all of them for tone and response.

Ever tried an Orange?

My #1 amp is a Herbert MKI, but my top 3 include that, an Orange Dual Dark and a Rockerverb MKI.

Sick amps, completely different gain structure than anything else, people are always shocked when they hear them cause they think Oranges are only for doom and sound fuzzy. Those guys either aren’t dialing them in right or are just plain wrong. They do excel at those things of course, but they can be as tight as anything boosted and it’s a really different flavor.

I really prefer the Herbert for practice and recording but if for some reason I had to sell it I’d be pretty happy to still have the DD and the RV.

Good friend of mine recently picked up the OR15 and we were shocked when we compared it to our ‘big boy’ amps. That thing crushes hard.

Between us, we have Diezels, Oranges, Bogner, Peaveys, EVHs and some good SS amps for doom. It hung with all of them for tone and response.
Diezel Herbert mk 1 is all around do it all fav. I like my Hermansson best off all but if I got to do every style in one night the Herbert is great . I hate the whole it’s just for metal . But really all these amps are great in ways . It’s cool to see Kobe for Herbert mk 1 still

Diezel Herbert mk 1 is all around do it all fav. I like my Hermansson best off all but if I got to do every style in one night the Herbert is great . I hate the whole it’s just for metal . But really all these amps are great in ways . It’s cool to see Kobe for Herbert mk 1 still

Agreed sir. It can literally do anything, the cleans on my Telemaster neck pickup sound like a fuckin piano, the AC/DC crunch is right there and of course it can do the most brutal metal around.

I don’t get the guys that say it’s ‘too polished, it sounds like an album’ but again, I play a blend of doom and KSE type metal, and my boy Rob is a doom guy at heart. I KNOW this amp can sound completely raw and unpolished, I’ve heard it in the room.

After living/playing with it for over a year, I get why it costs so much but it’s so worth it. The fact that each channel has its own preamp TUNED to that channel makes a huge difference for me. I can’t go back to single preamp amps after this, it just doesn’t make sense to me from a tone perspective.

Last edited:
Nice seeing the KSR love on this thread. I had an Orthos but sold it and went to an Ares. I borrowed a Gemini for a couple weeks before buying the Ares. I love the Ares so much. It's my go to amp 75% of the time. It can do just about everything I want. I find it polished but not necessarily "polite" . Politeness was the reason I couldn't bond with Friedman amps.

I'm in a good place with amps but if I have a good run with my money I definitely want to get another Splawn and try a dual rec or a Naylor. I would also love a JP2C one of these days seeing how the 2c+ will never be in my price range again. Revv just kinda turned me off cause of their youtube influencer push.

I like the Shiva. Even with 6L6, KT88, etc.... It's still thick and forgiving. Mids aren't as fat maybe as the XTC and the amp is not aggressive like a Marshall or metal amp.
My Archon is way more aggressive.

I only wish the Shiva had a footswitch to control the effects loop. That's important to me. :(
I can manage but it's a pain.

I contacted KSR and they recommended the Juno as the most forgiving and fun to play. Gemini and other models as sounding slightly bigger but more stiff.

Colossus seems awesome with all the channels and options.
One thing I forgot to mention, maybe you might like 5881’s in your 6L6 amps, especially the vintage ones. Seems that metal and hard rock players overlook them, but I find them to sound warmer, richer, more complex, more growl generally than 6L6GC’s and also have fatter mids and at least to me a chewier sound than 6L6’s. The 6L6’s sound usually tighter, crisper, more glassy, more efficient/higher wattage

My problem with jvm is they don’t open up like any other all tube Marshall. It just won’t open at all
They’re very compressed. My problem was more how fake they sounded to me (like I was hearing a recording of a Marshall rather than a real sounding amp), almost like playing a modeling amp. There have been a lot of modern high gain amps I felt that way about, but was especially that way for me with the JVM’s

One thing I forgot to mention, maybe you might like 5881’s in your 6L6 amps, especially the vintage ones. Seems that metal and hard rock players overlook them, but I find them to sound warmer, richer, more complex, more growl generally than 6L6GC’s and also have fatter mids and at least to me a chewier sound than 6L6’s. The 6L6’s sound usually tighter, crisper, more glassy, more efficient/higher wattage
Yes, I have tried those tubes but still prefer 6CA7 tubes.
Thanks for mentioning!

Ever tried an Orange?

Yes I thought of ths Rockerverb 100 Mk III.

I wish I could try one.

Agreed sir. It can literally do anything, the cleans on my Telemaster neck pickup sound like a fuckin piano, the AC/DC crunch is right there and of course it can do the most brutal metal around.

I don’t get the guys that say it’s ‘too polished, it sounds like an album’ but again, I play a blend of doom and KSE type metal, and my boy Rob is a doom guy at heart. I KNOW this amp can sound completely raw and unpolished, I’ve heard it in the room.

After living/playing with it for over a year, I get why it costs so much but it’s so worth it. The fact that each channel has its own preamp TUNED to that channel makes a huge difference for me. I can’t go back to single preamp amps after this, it just doesn’t make sense to me from a tone perspective.
Hell ya . Its truly my go to for all around tones !

They’re very compressed. My problem was more how fake they sounded to me (like I was hearing a recording of a Marshall rather than a real sounding amp), almost like playing a modeling amp. There have been a lot of modern high gain amps I felt that way about, but was especially that way for me with the JVM’s
Ya it just was like you say . I did knotice if you put master volume at 7 and gain at like 3 it helped sound like a great Marshall . Just no rip your head off tone

Is the Mark III just as good?

If someone likes the concept and appreciates the amp for what it is, there are mods that can rectify a lot of its shortcomings and make it more to his liking.
Well known mods like, negative feedback, choke, AFD, plexi mods, as well as better iron, f.e Mercury Magnetics PT & OT. Many people prefer it unmodified though.

The first 2 clips is the amp unmodified.
The last 2, is the amp modded:

Last edited:
If someone likes the concept and appreciates the amp for what it is, there are mods that can rectify a lot of its shortcomings and make it more to his liking.
Well known mods like, negative feedback, choke, AFD, plexi mods, as well as better iron, f.e Mercury Magnetics PT & OT. Many people prefer it unmodified though.

The first 2 clips is the amp unmodified.
The last 2, is the amp modded:

I played a stock JVM 410 at my tech's shop and man it is nice. So thick and chewy. It can be down right nasty or smooth and more classic rock.
This one was silent too. None of the noise I hear comaints about. Maybe people had tube issues.

I'm thinking of grabbing a Revv 100R.
I doubt I'd ever use the purple on the 120, maybe a bit too stiff and tight for me. I more of a 90s grunge and hard rock guy. I don't do thrash or much metal once in a while I'll mess with stuff like Slipknot or Deftones, etc. My Archon does that no issue. Same with the. JVM if I get one.

I'm thinking of grabbing a Revv 100R.
I doubt I'd ever use the purple on the 120, maybe a bit too stiff and tight for me. I more of a 90s grunge and hard rock guy. I don't do thrash or much metal once in a while I'll mess with stuff like Slipknot or Deftones, etc. My Archon does that no issue. Same with the. JVM if I get one.
The JVM was a big let down for me . But I know everyone is different. There’s one for sale in here for $1500

Back