Rick Beato says Nuno is "The Guy" now that Ed's gone. Plus his take on the solo in "Rise".

I wish kiko would not hold back I’m Megadeth . He feels like he’s BARELY touching the gas pedal when in Megadeth . Solo he’s insane
Indeed bro'.

It's Dave's baby 'though so he's probably just doing what he's told to an extent.

Yeah, I've seen that.

Seen him take a number of "big-name", so-called greatest-of-the-modern-era guitarists to school when sitting down one-on-one with them too, like Tosin Abisi and Andy James.

Reactions: rsm
That Kiko vid on the Megadeth tour is great. Was a trip when he panned over and there was Ellefson…lol
At 8:55 when the tech breaks a string the way Kiko says Oh, No was exactly how my wife and I mock each other when we drop something or nearly trip on the rug..lol..Probabaly a variation of the almighty source that is the motel maid in Family Guy.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard any player that does not love Nuno and his playing, myself included. But disagree with the video saying he’s “the guy” now that Eddie’s gone. I don’t even know why he’d say it. There are so many “guys” and good music out there (if you take an interest to search for it), it would be hard to even create a top list.

I think to be “The guy” then the song, the playing, the solo and all that stuff would have more people going crazy for it. The 4 page thread we had on here certainly wasn’t that.
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/new-extreme.263812/

Nuno has written some of the most kickass rock riffs ever. There’s a ton of character and attitude in his playing, too. To me, he’s always been the personification of the rock guitar gunslinger type player (not including Eddie).

He’s not “the guy” though. I’ll agree with what @stratjacket said, there are too many great and unique players for there to be one “the guy.”

However if I had to pick one, it would either be Vai or Govan.

Last edited:
I think Nuno is incredible and probably one of the best 80s shredder types still around but almost impossible to replace Eddie. He was a brand and magician in the way he kept coming up with the next thing. He might not have created all of them but he certainly developed them.

I mean, the drill in "Poundcake", harmonics starting "Women in Love", dive bomb at the end of "Eruption" that made it sound like the roof was going to come off my house. Those Eddie things. I remember when I saw Eddie playing that Steinberger on "Get Up" and was like WTF? The guy was a genius.

On top of that, he created and played to these amazing, memorable songs. Vai, Satch, Nuno, Slash, etc and so many others are great but Eddie just seemed to represent all of them.

How can Rick be right about anything guitar?! I mean just look at this!

:shocked:

Tim-Henson-Rick-Beato-Interview@2000x1500-1200x900.jpg

:poke:

I think Beato was reaching on that one. Nuno is a killer player but Eddie was the top of the food chain. There are thousands of posts asking about how to get that brown sound, gear he used, technique, etc. everyone making their own frankenstrat. The man was an icon. I don't see anyone close to his level that the torch can be passed to right now.

I think Beato was reaching on that one. Nuno is a killer player but Eddie was the top of the food chain. There are thousands of posts asking about how to get that brown sound, gear he used, technique, etc. everyone making their own frankenstrat. The man was an icon. I don't see anyone close to his level that the torch can be passed to right now.

I agree; for me it was Jimi then EVH, then <still waiting/> Govan is often mentioned, but he's missing some key elements for me...

Jimi and EVH had all the skills: songwriting, arranging, rhythm, lead, innovation,... that sets them apart and above everyone else.

There are many good guitarists I dig (Blackmore, Marr, Petrucci, Malmsteen, Vai, Bratta, Gilbert, Becker, ... and Frehley, Vincent, Kulick :D ), some came close, but few are at the same level of greatness.

IMO.

Jimi and EVH come from two different eras. The world was ready for both.
The last few decades have seen nothing in comparison. Over-the-top technique is not going to do it.
Nuno has been around for decades. This asshole Beato is only after click-bate, so take his idiotic statements for what they're worth.

Back