RIP Chris Cornell

Mailman1971":kcp5ozcv said:
Ok John. Just keep pumping out the Vids.
Yoiur stuff some the best out there. :thumbsup:

I will try to!! Thank you very much, compared to all you guys here, I'm way down the list. Lots of crazy talent on this board for sure!
And BTW, your always a class act and I appreciate that very much !

Starman22":3tl9zlyi said:
ElectricVoodoo":3tl9zlyi said:
Ive been covering some songs for a few days now.
Here is my last one I did earlier today.
My absolute favorite Soundgarden.
My humble tribute.

Oddly that video proved to me many things:

The incredible talent of members here like ElectricVoodoo
The heartfelt kindness of people to offer up a tribute to someone they respected after they pass.
The mind blowing vocal ability of Chris Cornell in that particular song...and in so many others.
The odd tunings, the unique songwriting structure and fantastic lyrics of Soundgarden / Cornell.

That video made me happy in a week of utter sadness over the loss of someone so magnificent.

Awesome!!! Thanks a bunch!!
Makes me happy to know it was uplifting.
Your right, His vocals were unreal, the structure, writing, were one of a kind. A huge huge loss for sure. His death was a hard one to understand, totally sucks.
In Rock !!!!!

I haven't said a lot yet. I still feel the weight and sadness of Chris Cornell's death on a daily basis. I don't remember the last time someone's death that I didn't know personally affected me this much. Maybe Dimebag. In some ways that was a little easier to grasp because it wasn't suicide. Layne and Weiland, it seemed the writing was on the wall eventually and I just expected it. Kurt too. I just didn't see this one coming at all. It seemed like Chris had gotten to good place where he was at peace and able to deal with his issues. I believe the meds and use of more than prescribed had at least some effect. I'm sad for his family and friends and also for the loss of his talent and musical contribution to world.

For me, Soundgarden was one of the bands at their peak in my early and more impressionable guitar playing days. I graduated in '95, so this music had the biggest affect on me from an emotional standpoint(besides just liking the songs). Badmotorfinger was my favorite album by SG during that time period. Dark, heavy and intense. I liked Superunknown but it wasn't my favorite until a few years after it was released. SG(along with a few other bands) shaped me as a player and a writer in my early years of writing music.

When Chris released Euphoria Morning, it was at one of the darkest times in my life. My dad had passed away a year or 2 prior, I wasn't in a band and I was alone for the most part. I mainly played acoustic and did some hack recording overdubbing electric ambient and attempting some drum machine stuff and vocals. I was at a coffee shop and found out about this album. I remember reading a lengthy interview with Chris about the album and listening to it on a discman with headphones. That album really spoke to me and came at a time where I had an instant connection with what he was writing about. It helped me through that period, maybe got me to push on even though I was really unhappy. I saw him live for the first time on a tour for that album and was completely blown away by his vocals live. I went to the show alone cause my girlfriend cancelled on me. I remember Steel Rain, at the end of the song I was in tears(trying hard not to be seen) and the girl next to me smiled and grabbed my arm for a second. I've followed his solo career and seen him live with Peter Thorn and a couple times with Soundgarden over the past few years. He'll always be one of the best vocalists and songwriters in my opinion.

vchizzle":32zsg2va said:
I haven't said a lot yet. I still feel the weight and sadness of Chris Cornell's death on a daily basis. I don't remember the last time someone's death that I didn't know personally affected me this much. Maybe Dimebag. In some ways that was a little easier to grasp because it wasn't suicide. Layne and Weiland, it seemed the writing was on the wall eventually and I just expected it. Kurt too. I just didn't see this one coming at all. It seemed like Chris had gotten to good place where he was at peace and able to deal with his issues. I believe the meds and use of more than prescribed had at least some effect. I'm sad for his family and friends and also for the loss of his talent and musical contribution to world.

For me, Soundgarden was one of the bands at their peak in my early and more impressionable guitar playing days. I graduated in '95, so this music had the biggest affect on me from an emotional standpoint(besides just liking the songs). Badmotorfinger was my favorite album by SG during that time period. Dark, heavy and intense. I liked Superunknown but it wasn't my favorite until a few years after it was released. SG(along with a few other bands) shaped me as a player and a writer in my early years of writing music.

When Chris released Euphoria Morning, it was at one of the darkest times in my life. My dad had passed away a year or 2 prior, I wasn't in a band and I was alone for the most part. I mainly played acoustic and did some hack recording overdubbing electric ambient and attempting some drum machine stuff and vocals. I was at a coffee shop and found out about this album. I remember reading a lengthy interview with Chris about the album and listening to it on a discman with headphones. That album really spoke to me and came at a time where I had an instant connection with what he was writing about. It helped me through that period, maybe got me to push on even though I was really unhappy. I saw him live for the first time on a tour for that album and was completely blown away by his vocals live. I went to the show alone cause my girlfriend cancelled on me. I remember Steel Rain, at the end of the song I was in tears(trying hard not to be seen) and the girl next to me smiled and grabbed my arm for a second. I've followed his solo career and seen him live with Peter Thorn and a couple times with Soundgarden over the past few years. He'll always be one of the best vocalists and songwriters in my opinion.

Great post!

I am a product of the 80s, so the grunge scene came after my most impressionable years and will never be my favorite. Having said that, Chris is my favorite rock vocalist since the 80s and I can't think of too many rock voices (if any) that I'd rather have than his if I were a lead vocalist. Such range and power. I have always dug SG, AIC, PJ, and STP... though again, not as much as the bands from my era.

And yeah, you could see it coming a mile away with Layne and Scott... but Chris was more of a shocker to me. I wouldn't say that I feel an emptiness inside me now that he's gone (since I didn't listen to SG every day)... but whenever I think of them/him or hear a song by them, it does leave me feeling unsettled and shaking my head... moreso than when I listen to STP or AIC (my favorite grunge era band). Out of all of those guys... my personal opinion would be that Chris is the most irreplaceable. His voice was giant and iconic... even moreso than the other respective front men.

Anyways... shock has given way to acceptance for me at this point. But there will never be another Chris Cornell. He was truly one of a kind.

It's a damn shame that the mud slinging couldn't just be kept to shitting on whatever amp or guitar you don't like. He was a celebrity! Sure, people die everyday and it's not national news but when a guy who's career spanned 4 decades, had millions of fans, defined a generation, then it's going to be talked about and most of the people doing the talking never met him. They only knew him through his music but for a lot of people that's personal enough to make it personal, if that makes any sense.

Red_Label":3ejf7jyl said:
vchizzle":3ejf7jyl said:

Great post!

I am a product of the 80s, so the grunge scene came after my most impressionable years and will never be my favorite. Having said that, Chris is my favorite rock vocalist since the 80s and I can't think of too many rock voices (if any) that I'd rather have than his if I were a lead vocalist. Such range and power. I have always dug SG, AIC, PJ, and STP... though again, not as much as the bands from my era.

And yeah, you could see it coming a mile away with Layne and Scott... but Chris was more of a shocker to me. I wouldn't say that I feel an emptiness inside me now that he's gone (since I didn't listen to SG every day)... but whenever I think of them/him or hear a song by them, it does leave me feeling unsettled and shaking my head... moreso than when I listen to STP or AIC (my favorite grunge era band). Out of all of those guys... my personal opinion would be that Chris is the most irreplaceable. His voice was giant and iconic... even moreso than the other respective front men.

Anyways... shock has given way to acceptance for me at this point. But there will never be another Chris Cornell. He was truly one of a kind.

It's actually interesting that you say that... all of the other contemporary singers of the era had various different singers come after them that were so clearly influenced by them that they were criticized for it being to obvious. Chris Cornell didn't have that, in large part because it's so rare to find someone with that much range, flexibility, power, and expressiveness. The sheer god given talent he had just made imitators so infrequent.

Staley, Vedder, Weiland, etc., were clear baritones who certainly had power, but their range couldn't touch Cornell. They had distinctive voices, but have been copied many times since their heyday.

I thought this was a great article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmessit ... 428eb5e7c5

It goes through Cornell's evolution as a singer. I remember seeing SG on SNL play Pretty Noose and thinking, "Wow, he's really damaged his voice." The strain was clear.

The way he was able to completely break down, then rebuild his singing voice over the past decade or so, is nothing short of amazing. I remember freaking out hearing about the Nudedragons show that happened in 2010, then seeing the footage. When they played Beyond the Wheel, I was blown away--because the footage I'd seen of him singing in the mid-late 00's was so hoarse. I thought he was a lost cause until I saw that show footage. Here he was, his voice as good as it had sounded in 15 years, with his hair long again, playing with Soundgarden. It was a dream come true for me, with SG having been my favorite band since middle school.

I haven't even gotten into his rhythm guitar playing. Dude was a force on the guitar. Playing and singing some of those songs (with much more complex rhythms and time signatures than initially perceived) is just mindblowing. Seeing him do it live was a master class for me.

Sad to see this thread go down the tubes. Chris Cornell was am amazing musician. At the time Superunkown was released, I was really shocked at how great an album it was. I picked up badmotofinger later, but always preferred superunknown. I don't think I really appreciated how good Chris was in the 90s. In the past 5 years or so, I have grown more to appreciate his talents.

I really feel for Chris's family and especially kids. I have lost and a mother and step mother and it's tough. Prayers and mojo going out to the family for sure. RIP Chris.

vchizzle":27d3kjix said:
I don't remember the last time someone's death that I didn't know personally affected me this much.

My girlfriend and I were just saying the same thing. I do agree with a few of the angry posts on here that this can seem like a bunch of people feeling sorry for themselves over the death of a guy who had everything. There is a huge part of me that feels really silly for being this sad about it as a 40+ year old guy, but really, I think more than anything it reminds me just how f*cking old I am. It reminds me of when I had Temple of the Dog playing in my pickup everyday my first year of college, or hearing Jesus Christ Pose for the first time in High School, or hearing Sweet Euphoria after half a decade of Soundgarden overload - realizing I wasn't sick of his voice after all.

The guy that brought up his friend wth kids and cancer has to realize that none of us know her. I don't know any of the people that get shot miles from my place every f*cking night either. It isn't odd that people compartmentalize compassion and empathy. You'd be f*cking exhausted if you didn't. Cornell's music was a huge part of peoples lives - at least my life. How he died has less to do with how I feel about it than the loss itself. My sadness over Cornell has more to do with what he represents to me and I'm aware of just how selfish that is.

If he wanted to end it I can respect his wishes. If it really was the pills then I wish his family the best of luck with whatever closure they get. I'm guessing in a few weeks we will all let it go and the melancholy won't return until we hear his voice again unexpectedly in a movie soundtrack, or a bar on a playlist somewhere. It'll take us back to that time when his voice blew us the fuck away and that shitty feeling of nostalgic self-pity will kick in. It's not the end of the world but it sucks all the same.

Now they are saying Cornell had fresh track marks on his arms at time of death. Sounds like he relapsed. That sucks!

srommes":39zwg6tr said:
Now they are saying Cornell had fresh track marks on his arms at time of death. Sounds like he relapsed. That sucks!

without a legit tox report, Its seriously conjecture... borderline click bait..

we are still atleast 2 weeks out from the final tox. the fact its coming to the news now raises my eye brows.

I would have thought if this was legit it would have come out with the suicide ruling last weekend.

What really happened is almost irrelevant. I'm sitting here watching tributes to Chris with, literally, tears in my eyes. His talent touched me in ways that no one else ever has. The voice, the songwriting, the presence - he had it all. As a music loving community, we are all less than we were a few days ago. This fucking hurts...

eternal_idol":2sgicjfl said:
srommes":2sgicjfl said:

without a legit tox report, Its seriously conjecture... borderline click bait..

we are still atleast 2 weeks out from the final tox. the fact its coming to the news now raises my eye brows.

I would have thought if this was legit it would have come out with the suicide ruling last weekend.
Agreed. I saw an article detailing a convo Vicky had as well. True or not, the timing coinciding with his memorial service today is questionable.

IndyWS6":3lolhl3a said:
What really happened is almost irrelevant. I'm sitting here watching tributes to Chris with, literally, tears in my eyes. His talent touched me in ways that no one else ever has. The voice, the songwriting, the presence - he had it all. As a music loving community, we are all less than we were a few days ago. This fucking hurts...

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with that.

awareness is never irrelevant. the more that become aware of an issue the more that have a chance to actually ask for help.. is that so bad?

eternal_idol":31vqdijr said:
IndyWS6":31vqdijr said:

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with that.

awareness is never irrelevant. the more that become aware of an issue the more that have a chance to actually ask for help.. is that so bad?
Bad? No... But let's honor a man that had a musical presence that few ever do. I prefer to think about his talent and the undeniable legacy. Seldom is that level of talent matched...

I guess I'm sad because the guy was brilliant and had so much going for him at the moment. Plus I've been a fan since early on Soundgarden.

Just a shock more than anything. I was so looking forward to new Soundgarden, they were just starting a new tour, with new dates released. He had a great family, had been messing with Temple of the Dog stuff, Audioslave stuff, etc... and his solo career was at it's peak. Seemed everything was just at his fingertips more now than ever.

Maybe it was to much for him to handle and he did get back into drugs along with his depression meds? Who knows if we will ever know? Just super sad such a talent is gone at such a early age.

It's over now though. No more to be said really.

Who knows what inner demons Chris had. Unfortunately some people suffer from pain so intense, no amount of medication or counseling can treat it. Deep rooted stuff he couldn't chase away. So sad.

So the day after Cornell passed I got a text from my brother asking if I wanted to cover Outshined. He hasn't seriously played for several years (he said he didn't even have a full set of strings on it) but had already started learning the song. I've always had an interest to some extent in Soundgarden but regrettably not as much as AIC, this was the first time I really sat down to learn a Soundgarden song myself. He made the several hour round trip yesterday to come up and record his tracks and we got the whole thing hammered out in a day. It's a bit rougher in spots than I'd like but not too bad for something thrown together quickly by two guys that have never played the song.

Back