Rock n' Roll True Stories: Big Wreck

As underrated as these guys are, my lord do they have a loyal fanbase and it seems each year Ian‘s name is being mentioned by a few more known guys than previous years.

That dude is the total package; ridiculous guitarist, ridiculous singer and an outstanding songwriter. Tones and licks for days.

Much to this forum’s dismay, their most recent tour was all Fractal. They still use cabs onstage for feel/feedback, but all the amp tones are 1’s and 0’s. I think he’s still got some pedals in his rig he’s using for dirt, too.

It's pretty funny to hear Thornley say he couldn't sing early on - one of the most powerful voices I've ever heard.
Much to this forum’s dismay, their most recent tour was all Fractal. They still use cabs onstage for feel/feedback, but all the amp tones are 1’s and 0’s. I think he’s still got some pedals in his rig he’s using for dirt, too.

I see them locally relatively often, I missed them in December, but in February he was still playing the Suhr with the Fractal for fx going foh. It wouldn't surprise me if he cut the amp out, it's been a while since I've seen him with a cab.

It's pretty funny to hear Thornley say he couldn't sing early on - one of the most powerful voices I've ever heard.

I see them locally relatively often, I missed them in December, but in February he was still playing the Suhr with the Fractal for fx going foh. It wouldn't surprise me if he cut the amp out, it's been a while since I've seen him with a cab.
I’m sure it’s a lot less expensive to haul around “the box”

Ian is a killer musician all around.
He's talented enough at both playing and singing individually that he could still have a great career doing either one of those things exclusively, and he does both.

It might be a while before he does that. The Suhr Hedgehog is his favorite amp, and there's no model of that amp in the Fractal.

Last edited:

I’ve never seen him not with a cab. He’s got his drinks sitting on a Suhr 4x12 in th vid I posted, but you can see it here better-

Seems he either went with 1 or 2 4x12’s depending on the size of the stage.

I’ve never seen him not with a cab. He’s got his drinks sitting on a Suhr 4x12 in th vid I posted, but you can see it here better-

Seems he either went with 1 or 2 4x12’s depending on the size of the stage.

Fair enough, definitely see them there lol. I always see them in like 350 people venues. I haven't seen them in a festival/arena probably since the year they got back together, they definitely had the big boys out then.

Did you shoot that clip?

Incredible, incredible band. I had never heard of them until about 8-9 years ago, I’ve been hooked on them ever since. Actually I think Michael Britt introduced me to them now that I think about it. Criminally underrated as well for sure.

Ian’s solos are like as if David gilmour and SRV dropped acid together. Wild stuff

Back