ROCK WIZARD TUBE AMP by LARRY

sah5150":2oz3fp2o said:
donbarzini":2oz3fp2o said:
novosibir":2oz3fp2o said:
If you feel better now, than I'm happy with you! It's a pleasure for me, to do you a favor :gethim:

:D

Larry

If I end up taking a second mortgage on my home to get one, I'll have you come over and assist me with it :worship:
Why are you busting the guy's balls? You certainly don't have to buy one of his amps if you don't like the price and it appears that with a 15 month backlog and two amps going out a month, he isn't having any problems selling the maximum number he can build himself....

I dunno... maybe I'm missing something... no check that... I KNOW I'm missing something here...

Steve

Why aren't you defending me???

He wizzed on my Ethan Allen headshell the big dofus :cry:

novosibir":1sm2t9yi said:
Is there anyone around, who can translate me this sentence into another English, so that also I with my wimpy German's English can get the sense? Or is it just due to the missing commas, that I couldn't understand? :confused:

Larry

You need more than straight English translation to interpret Barzini's statements. :LOL: :LOL:

thegame":ixibxz8g said:
donbarzini":ixibxz8g said:
ericsabbath":ixibxz8g said:
around... US$8400 :scared:

:hys: That's a good price! You just have to make sure Larry is there to record your amp using the exact cabinet he specifies in the exact environment he recommends for it to reach its full potential or else it won't outshine amps that cost 1/3 or less that amount.

If you plugged in to it, you'd stop laughing. Depending on your playing skills, the amp may laugh at you !

I heard the Dino in the room last Saturday. Sounded good to me, but not for $7500!

danyeo":2uxhfv2f said:
I heard the Dino in the room last Saturday. Sounded good to me, but not for $7500!
Then simply take some time, dial it in properly and use one of the cabs, the DINO is designed with and for (which are a lot, but not any) - and you'd already have your ticket to sound heaven. Others already couldt and still can ;)

Of corse your playing ability must be accordingly, because the DINO is unforgivable, if your skills on the strings are lacking.

Larry

donbarzini":3ceyvaj1 said:
Digital Jams":3ceyvaj1 said:
Well guys do pay $4000 for some chunks of wood glued together in mass production from an assembley line so I am guessing why not price your amp like that :confused: ;)

Or exotic wood headboxes for mass produced amplifiers.

You sir are my Forumite of the year.

novosibir":wlsge1fi said:
danyeo":wlsge1fi said:
Then simply take some time, dial it in properly and use one of the cabs, the DINO is designed with and for (which are a lot, but not any) - and you'd already have your ticket to sound heaven. Others already couldt and still can ;)

Of corse your playing ability must be accordingly, because the DINO is unforgivable, if your skills on the strings are lacking.

Larry

Wow...

danyeo":2dp882le said:
donbarzini":2dp882le said:
Digital Jams":2dp882le said:
Well guys do pay $4000 for some chunks of wood glued together in mass production from an assembley line so I am guessing why not price your amp like that :confused: ;)

Or exotic wood headboxes for mass produced amplifiers.

You sir are my Forumite of the year.

I hate you.

donbarzini":2knsb85e said:
sah5150":2knsb85e said:
donbarzini":2knsb85e said:
novosibir":2knsb85e said:
If you feel better now, than I'm happy with you! It's a pleasure for me, to do you a favor :gethim:

Larry

If I end up taking a second mortgage on my home to get one, I'll have you come over and assist me with it :worship:
Why are you busting the guy's balls? You certainly don't have to buy one of his amps if you don't like the price and it appears that with a 15 month backlog and two amps going out a month, he isn't having any problems selling the maximum number he can build himself....

I dunno... maybe I'm missing something... no check that... I KNOW I'm missing something here...

Steve

Because I already busted everyone else's today. Now go get your shine box.
Since you ain't been around for awhile, maybe you ain't heard. No more shines. I don't shine shoes anymore....

Steve

Well, back to the topic's title :yes:

jabps":1u1vlpa1 said:
Larry...what is the jack next between the transformer and the power tube?
This is not a jack, but a chassis mount trim pot for the bias adjustment.

Actually the Rock Wizard does have dual bias inside, but not for left/right, but for two different tube matches of the same type.
So It would be possible to use two different quads of EL34's - one is a soft quad, the other lets say a very strong quad.
If someione likes to have this feature, then instead of the chassis mount bias pot, I'd put a toggle switch there, two trim pots inside on the board, so that you can pre adjust two different quads and later swap it by the flip of the switch.

Or you also can pre-adjust it for a quad EL34's and a quad KT88's - or whatelse you like ;)
The OT itself can handle all tube types, though it's specially designed for EL34's.

Larry

Digital Jams":10ye6pz5 said:
sah5150":10ye6pz5 said:
donbarzini":10ye6pz5 said:
novosibir":10ye6pz5 said:

Larry

Steve

I'm sorry. There is simply no defense for having a custom, exotic wood headshell made for a JVM.

Steve

novosibir":ukddsbte said:
danyeo":ukddsbte said:

Larry

I already have my ticket to sound heaven, my Fortin Cali mod. I threw it on a cab that wasn't mine and it sounded awesome in 2 minutes. I didn't play the Dino, others did and i listened and I'm figuring Mike knew how to tweak it. I have already said it sounded good no doubt, but i didn't hear 8,000 dollars of tone coming out of it. Just my opinion so who cares. Is anything but a glowing gushing opinion an amp allowed?

sah5150":182i327n said:
Digital Jams":182i327n said:
sah5150":182i327n said:
donbarzini":182i327n said:
novosibir":182i327n said:

Larry

Steve

I'm sorry. There is simply no defense for having a custom, exotic wood headshell made for a JVM.

Steve

Don't go waiting out by the mailbox for your digijam holiday card mister.

donbarzini":qkyyl1ou said:
danyeo":qkyyl1ou said:
Just my opinion so who cares. Is anything but a glowing gushing opinion an amp allowed?

Exactly. I went by my buddies house who bought my Mills cabinets. He had his Mesa dialed in with the bass on 10. He gushed over it. First thing I did is turn the bass down almost all the way off, that's the way I like it. I don't like Mesa's but I could play the thing more so than with the bass all the way up. Mr. Mesa probably wouldn't agree with the way I dialed his amp in but maybe he'll show up here and tell me why it didn't sound good with the bass on 10. Wrong cabinet? Wrong Speakers? Wrong House?
Wrong house is correct.

Steve

donbarzini":2bsbq4qm said:
Digital Jams":2bsbq4qm said:
Don't go waiting out by the mailbox for your digijam holiday card mister.

Will I still get mine? I loved the one last year with you only wearing a santa hat.

Oh it is special containing workboats, cutoffs, and a certain police song.

Larry's amps, despite having gobs of gain are relatively uncompressed. Even some great players may have difficulty adjusting to the lack of compression, until they're used to it.

Personally I played Wizards for over 10 years, and they are very uncompressed as well, though their gain potential is much less (max. gain on a Wizard may equal Larry's HotRod ch. gain at 4 - 5 at best). Therefore I'm used to trying to eek as much gain out of my amps as possible by digging in, having a strong attack, using clean boosts, etc. Having that extra wanted gain in the amp, as in Larry's design, is why the dynamics of the Dino fit me like a glove.

Thanks for your kind words, guys!

I very much appreciate, that you like my work, what I've really done with heart & soul!

Larry

Back