Ronnie James Dio book

cragginshred77

A
good read overall. Way too much 60's history and not enough Sabbath and Dio band stories. Wendy had his scribbled notes and inserted her own but lets face it one would buy the book to hear about the era we know him from.

Most interesting part was the refuting of Vivian's claims that he was paid $200 a week. They said $1,700 whether they worked or not. Big difference. Wendy claims to have receipts too, and pointed out Viv bought a Ferrari. Why would Viv say that? RJD's claim was that at the end of the last tour with Viv a lawyer contacted Dio on Vivivan's behalf with a 'double my pay and give me a % of the band or else' notice. That was the end for Vivian Campbell in the Dio camp

According to interviews in the past couple of years with Vivian in wake of the band Last in line, he says the above poor payment with unkept promises led to a falling out and that he wanted nothing to do with the Dio music he helped make until Dio passed.

Other interesting tid bits from the book, Dio says he wrote the music for Holy diver and Jimmy Bain wrote a lot of the other songs or introduced riffs that became songs. I assumed Vivian wrote the majority of the music. I knew Jimmy had written the Keyboard melody to Rainbow in the dark and always saw him as a pick/8th note player but had no idea what a songwriting role he had in the band.

Last book note Dio says 'I am Not a satanist and the priest on the holy diver cover was meant to be thought provoking -is what you see really true?
All I know is I saw him live 2x and in the song Heaven and hell he had this lengthy deal where he concluded it telling a light that shone from above 'go away I'm going to burn with all of you and you and you'..... I flipped him off and said no you will Not'! Loved the music but that crap was not for me.

Back on point good read and I do believe them about paying the boys.

So best case scenario on that money, he was making 1700 a week back in 85 let's say which would have been 85K or so then. Google tells me that's 216K today. That's still not rolling in it. A Ferrari 308 back in 85' was on the books for about 65K.

I can't see him dropping that cash on a Ferrari then while still having to buy a home and pay taxes/expenses/management or council he may have had.

His Ferrari was a Mondial, it's featured in his instructional video. It's one of the least loved Ferrari's of all time. I read an interview where he called Neal Schon a bastard because HE bought a Testerossa, then Neil pointed out the bank owned most of it. lol

I say move on and let Ronnie and everyone else RIP.
Ron's legacy is in tact and nobody is taking that away.

Last edited:
Wasn't Viv in whitesnake when the his instructional video came out? Very well could have been bought with an advance from the 87 album. Either way it's a bummer they never got the original lineup back together.

Personally I dont really care about the vivian dio beef. There is nothing to gain from any of it as a fan of either dio or vivian campbell.
Wasn't Viv in whitesnake when the his instructional video came out? Very well could have been bought with an advance from the 87 album. Either way it's a bummer they never got the original lineup back together.
This is the original line up minus RJD

Viv didn’t PLAY on ‘87, neither did Vandenburg, Sarzo or Tommy Aldrich…

Viv didn’t PLAY on ‘87, neither did Vandenburg, Sarzo or Tommy Aldrich…
I am aware, that's another example of a guitarist who got screwed royaly. My guess was Coverdale promised the new 87 lineup a ton of money upfront similar to the story of Sykes getting a ton of money to join in 83 or 84. That's pure speculation though.

Obviously not in the prime years but Aldrich also complained about poor pay while in RJD’s band. I remember something he said about not having enough to rub two picks together.

All I know is I saw him live 2x and in the song Heaven and hell he had this lengthy deal where he concluded it telling a light that shone from above 'go away I'm going to burn with all of you and you and you'..... I flipped him off and said no you will Not'! Loved the music but that crap was not for me.
Soooo, you think Dio is in hell right now? :dunno: I think I remember that bit, he’s just playing on the “better to rule in hell than serve in heaven” theme of Milton’s Paradise Lost, but the song itself is more about seeing through the lies of the world (politicians, religion, authority) that “blind your eyes and steal your dreams”. Rebelling against authority etc…
It’s a more philosophical version of Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” lol

Last edited:
It's a little weird to me that people would take his stage antics so seriously. (The whole 'satanic' thing)

These are probably the same people that think video games make people kill people. I can't imagine being that impressionable that I would give a shit about any of that stuff.

I saw RJD with Sabbath Heaven & Hell tour 1980. As a guitar player loved Iommi & Geezer.
As for Ronnie's schtick honestly it was a turn off for me. He definitely embellished the devil thing way to much IMO.
Impressionable youth from broken homes coupled with alcohol & narcotics may equal cassette sales but its not a model for living later in life.
The music should be the primary focus not the stage props. Im sure Viv got tired of the same ole/same ole.
I actually dug Sammy Hagar opening for Sabbath way more. High energy R & R.
Never saw a guy throw down on guitar live like that [Sam's lead guitarist].
Not a fan of the Van Hagar years but early Sammy definitely had something special going on.

Ehhe0luXcAMh-Hc.jpg

Back