Ronnie James Dio book

Yes alot of marketing. But every once in a while you get those mentally disturbed folks like the kid who whacked himself listening to Ozzy "suicide solution" who's family took Oz to court as well the same thing happened to Judas Priest. Both cases were found not culpable.
I believe was reorted the guy who shot Darryl Abbott thought the devil was telling him to do that too.
Things like that happen with or without rock music but who's to say what causes someone to kill.
We seem to average a mass shooting at least once a month somewhere and music doesn't seem to play a part.

Bang on. You will always have your crazies AND the Norwegian loonies who actually take that shit seriously. Maybe it is the lack of sunlight during the winter months and lack of vitamin D which sends them over the edge.

Speaking of Vivian though, as amazing as he was, I am still partial to Rowan after all these years. The kid smoked. Sort of a hybrid of Wylde and some other guys at the time but fantastic phrasing and vibrato. Bad 80's girl jeans but that's the only strike..

Another interesting aspect from the book is:
Most who liked Elvis (Dio's childhood) did not like the Beatles, cascading forward -Beatles fans did not like Hendrix ect
Dio went from Elvis, Beatles, Hendrix/Purple to 80's metal (in his 40's) as good, nay better as anyone from the strip.

He mentioned in t he book his 80's metal kept the 70's rock underlying sound for lack of better descriptive words.
I'm 55 in a few weeks and was raised with conservative Lawrence Welk listening parents. I will never forget hearing 'Man on the silver Mt' on the radio the first time. Life changing....Guitar riffs, solos and Monster vocals. Then the holy grail of music year 1980!!
Sabbath's HnH And Back in black dropped.

Hard rock with riffs from Heaven was here to never leave! Radio had not caught on until MTV said it was ok but that did not stop us from going to Tower records to see what new groups there were to sample. YnT, Queensryche, Maiden, Dokken and more were blasted from my Toyota celica's cheap stereo cassette deck as I pulled into HS parking lot. Very 'Fast times at Ridgmont high' ish!!

incredible lyrics and songs. I mean those live shows of his were legendary as were the props. Let's be honest, Stryper lyrics or RJD lyrics? It's a no brainer.

Idk, I personally think he's written some of the dumbest fucking lyrics ever :LOL:

"Ride the tiger
You can see his stripes but you know he's clean
Oh don't you see what I mean"

No Ronnie, I have no fucking clue what you mean

Idk, I personally think he's written some of the dumbest fucking lyrics ever :LOL:

"Ride the tiger

That's what I meant by 'poetic nonsense' As he explained in the book the song and imagery has meaning -to him, the rest is 'how can I make it rhyme non sensical poo?. :p

2650h2.jpg

beast.jpg

Oh for sure but i find no difference between an organized religion telling me im going to hell or a rock band enticing me to do the same thing.
Same with Maiden. we played several Maiden songs but i never bought into the "number of the beast" crapola.
But alot of potheads i knew did.
Devil music sells records & tapes. But so does MaDonna.
Madonna is 10x more evil than all 80's metal bands combined.

I have a sneaking suspicion RJD wouldn’t have been as legendary had he not talked himself up as though he was some sort of god.

As much as I like his 90s work more than anything else he did, after Last in Line, nobody else gives a shit. And we are creeping up on 40 years since that happened.

I have a sneaking suspicion RJD wouldn’t have been as legendary had he not talked himself up as though he was some sort of god.

As much as I like his 90s work more than anything else he did, after Last in Line, nobody else gives a shit. And we are creeping up on 40 years since that happened.
Thats me, kinda like following diary of a madman the rest of Ozzies material falls way short starting with the Chorus washed out solo of Bark at the moon.
Love Jake with Badlands tho!

For a self taught vocalist he did pretty darn good.
Course it helps your mystique when your audience ingests large amounts of intoxicants.

"Ride the tiger

Like DLR’s lyrics were any better ??? Lol Might as well jump JUMP !

Some good laughs on this page.. indeed the lyrics don't make any sense half the time but the delivery is what makes them great.

Never unchain the night
Don't tell me that the love is gone
Never unchain the night
Cause there's always another turn

I'm guessing "Unchain the night" just sounded badass. That's it. Because if she is holding out or doesn't want to have sex again, then technically she would be "chaining the night" So it should have been " Don't you CHAAAAAIIIIIIIIINNNN the night".

Anyway makes no sense. Just be honest and say "Talk dirty to me".

There’s so many lyrics that sort of sound profound and mysterious but they are as deep as a fortune cookie:

“And they’ll tell you black is really white, the moon is just the sun at night”

“No sign of the morning coming, you’ve been left on your own, like a rainbow in the dark!”

“We're all born upon the cross
We're the throw before the toss”

I recite these to my friends and pretend they are old Norse proverbs :LOL:

In HS we used to sing the trooper with these altered lyrics:
'You take my life and I'll take yours too, you pack a heaper and I'll sink it thru'............. :cheers:

Honestly, I think it's all about find a theme to the song and whatever rhymes after that. They know it's rock music and once you catch em with the hook no one cares if it makes sense especially when we in our 20's :m17:

Back