ronnie le tekro

mentoneman

used a roland space echo for his tone?

"Roland Space Echo RE-150

This is said to be the secret to Ronni's superb tone - Roland Space Echo RE-150. It's a delay effect using a tape cartridge, and you can use it as a preamp by increasing the input. Even though Ronni said in the interview right after Realized Fantasies came out that he did not use RE-150 as a preamp, many Le Tekro researchers (a.k.a. Ronni wannabes :) think that he definitely uses it as a preamp. This is a very old effect and you will never find the new one. If you do find a brand new one, it's worth $$$. I heard that the cartridges are expensive and it's very hard to find somebody who can repair this dinasour effect these days."

i happen to have this exact model space echo, traded it to a neighbor for a kick drum pedal, will have it refurbished within a few weeks..

will put it up against my incoming damage control timeline delay!
:rock:

SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!

Mentoneman OWNS. That said I believe Chub has a secret weapon for the Le Tekro sound as well.

IF you have the time a vid would be killer of that :yes:

mentoneman":15ghxfg8 said:
used a roland space echo for his tone?

"Roland Space Echo RE-150

This is said to be the secret to Ronni's superb tone - Roland Space Echo RE-150. It's a delay effect using a tape cartridge, and you can use it as a preamp by increasing the input. Even though Ronni said in the interview right after Realized Fantasies came out that he did not use RE-150 as a preamp, many Le Tekro researchers (a.k.a. Ronni wannabes :) think that he definitely uses it as a preamp. This is a very old effect and you will never find the new one. If you do find a brand new one, it's worth $$$. I heard that the cartridges are expensive and it's very hard to find somebody who can repair this dinasour effect these days."

i happen to have this exact model space echo, traded it to a neighbor for a kick drum pedal, will have it refurbished within a few weeks..

will put it up against my incoming damage control timeline delay!
:rock:
Back when I was playing the LA clubs, a lot of guys were using these. They sounded pretty damn good...

Steve

So the line level increase of this echo is different than say using another boost pedal? IS it just a line level increase or is something else in the circuit?

i just talked to a guy who services them and i'll let you know how it sounds when i get it back...no tape currently in the unit.

Posts like this, watching Pat all geedy like he is going to the prom, reminds me that his stiff upper lip attitude of RF, Goven, TR, etc...is just holding back his secret love of everything 80s :D

I have an old e-mail from someone who used be friends with Ronnie and he told me that Ronnie did 3 things. 1st the amps preamp section was modded.There were no gain mods only the freequency of the mids were changed and basically the whole preamp section wasn't Marshall anymore. Second he used a Boss OD-1 in front of the amp to boost the amp and he also used the Space Echo in front of the amp which adds a cool midrange freequency.

Kage lent me his old Space echo and I slammed the front end of my Marshall 2210 with is and it added a cool vibe to it. You can definitely use it as a boost because there is a level control.

Ronnies tone is on my top 10 list ;)

Gainfreak":305y3dvu said:
I have an old e-mail from someone who used be friends with Ronnie and he told me that Ronnie did 3 things. 1st the amps preamp section was modded.There were no gain mods only the freequency of the mids were changed and basically the whole preamp section wasn't Marshall anymore. Second he used a Boss OD-1 in front of the amp to boost the amp and he also used the Space Echo in front of the amp which adds a cool midrange freequency.

Kage lent me his old Space echo and I slammed the front end of my Marshall 2210 with is and it added a cool vibe to it. You can definitely use it as a boost because there is a level control.

Ronnies tone is on my top 10 list ;)

Ah, the OD-1 may be what Chub was talking about.

I forgot to mention that the OD-1 was modded as well for less treble and the guy said that Ronni used 1978 Marshall 50 watt master volume amps through vintage marshall cabs with vintage g12h30 and he plays loud as hell!
The other thing I forgot to mention is that he said that Ronnie got damn near the same tone through unmodded 78 50 watters by just using the od-1 and Space echo.

Uli used one as well straight into his Marshall 72' Super Tremolo..actually when i saw him in 2004, he used two space echo's one for the cleaner / vox style amp and the other the Marshall. sounded glorious. I've always said that tape echo's enhance the overall sound, even in a well built effects loop that is calibrated. The Aiwa Reel to Reel tape recorder was what Blackmore started using in the Burn years and through Rainbow...he used it as preamp boost and it also tamed the piercing highs. I won't gig without my tape echo, because its so much part my overall sound, even when i slightly have it on. its my soulmate : )

I'll have to check out Ronnie!

Steve what was your band? Mine was 21st Century, Mystery and Surreal. You remember Targa? Mike Black goes to my church. (lead singer). Toby the party King who used to run Joshuas and the marquee, at my church. Most of get together on friday nights there and jam.

I think I like (old!!!!!) Ronni Le Tekro more than his wife does.

There is a subscription site called the International Guitar Academy that Ronni is involved in. He did a video for them where he walks through his tone and each step of it. Turning each thing on and off so you can hear how it effects the tone. He starts with his Marshall without any effects at all, just his straight Marshall tone. If he paid for his amp to be modded I think he got ripped off. His late 70's JMP sounds just like every late 70's JMP or early 80's JCM800 I have ever heard. There is zero magic whatsoever in that amp. It sounds like a basic MV Marshall JMP. He does have three Boss pedals on the ground. The Boss OD-1 really has that Le Tekro type of gain structure. But as Ralph and everyone mentions about Ronni, he has this extremely distinctive midrange in his tone.

What I discovered by wacky chance is that one of those Boss pedals if set in an extremely weird way, gives you this extreme midrange boost. Instant Ronni Le Tekro midrange. So yeah, about those "modded" Marshalls Ronni claims. I think that might have been an old Eddie Van Halen influenced smoke screen to throw people off the scent.

Also in the video, Ronni makes a distinction that he seeks out "old" Seymour Duncan Custom pickups to put in his guitars.

Chubtone":2sca2t33 said:
I think I like (old!!!!!) Ronni Le Tekro more than his wife does.

There is a subscription site called the International Guitar Academy that Ronni is involved in. He did a video for them where he walks through his tone and each step of it. Turning each thing on and off so you can hear how it effects the tone. He starts with his Marshall without any effects at all, just his straight Marshall tone. If he paid for his amp to be modded I think he got ripped off. His late 70's JMP sounds just like every late 70's JMP or early 80's JCM800 I have ever heard. There is zero magic whatsoever in that amp. It sounds like a basic MV Marshall JMP. He does have three Boss pedals on the ground. The Boss OD-1 really has that Le Tekro type of gain structure. But as Ralph and everyone mentions about Ronni, he has this extremely distinctive midrange in his tone.

What I discovered by wacky chance is that one of those Boss pedals if set in an extremely weird way, gives you this extreme midrange boost. Instant Ronni Le Tekro midrange. So yeah, about those "modded" Marshalls Ronni claims. I think that might have been an old Eddie Van Halen influenced smoke screen to throw people off the scent.

Also in the video, Ronni makes a distinction that he seeks out "old" Seymour Duncan Custom pickups to put in his guitars.

Maybe he did do the EVH thing and lie but he does thanks an amp Modder in the liner notes of one of the TNT albums that I have.
The guy who I spoke to years ago did in fact confirm that he got the same sound out of the stock Marshalls he had so who knows lol. With that said, Ive never heard of the International Guitar Academy and that's awesome that he finally spilled the beans in a video because the article I have with Ronni in it Ronni specifically mentiones that he wont give out any info about his sound lol. He said that he worked long and hard on it and didn't want to give it away. I actually respected him more for saying that and not lying like EVH did. :rock:

He might have had them modded to change the feel, but not the tone. Not sure how he gets those garbage wood guitars to sound good though. :) When I saw him he was using a JCM800 channel switcher.

Back