School me on Soldano FX loops!

napalmdeath

Are their models with tube buffered loops good for pedals?? I was under the impression that their loops actually only worked with rack effects, and time-based pedals and EQs didnt play nice.

Im looking at the Avenger and Hot Rod 25's.

avengers dont come with a effects loop so you have install your own or special order it that way...avengers are great amps though...

155":1tonu6q7 said:
avengers dont come with a effects loop so you have install your own or special order it that way...avengers are great amps though...

Hot Rod Avengers come with "tube buffered effects loop".

The fx loop on most of their models are pre-tonestack and line level. So your fx will still receive some distortion after the loop and some pedals won't be able to handle it.

If you don't want to mod the amp might as well just run a dry/wet system from the line out. Sounds epic that way.

There is no "line out" on Avengers. I've had Avengers with and without loops. The Effects Loop works just fine....

Isn't the SLO the one that has the questionable loop placement? The HR100 I had, loop worked great with pedals or rack stuff. Not so much the SLO.

Correct. The SLO has a hot effects loop. It needs line level signals. That's in addition to its other eccentricities. I don't know about any of the other Soldano loops.

Soldano effects loops are unusable (Fixed only on the HR 25)

Due to where the loop is placed in the circuit, doesn't matter what pedal or rack unit you use
"You will not hear your delay slap backs or reverb type effects while playing when using gain."
You will only hear them when making quick stops

I've tried everything

But crank the amp in a Live room and no need to time based effects anyways

The SLO loop is pure broken. Suhr has a fix, but as anything else in the SLO, this broken loop is part of the "majik", if you fix it, it will have a slight difference in tone.
The SLO on paper should be a broken amp, but beside all of it's issues (crosstalk on clean/overdirve channel, way too high voltage on the effects loops. bad phase flip after the loop, etc) just adds up to be one of the best amps ever, as it is. Just leave it original and work around it, like tapping the speaker out with a Palmer or a Redbox and feed the effects from it WDW.

Seems the best solution is to hard-wire the existing Send/Return jacks such that the basic tone is still there, then add a SS loop in the 'proper' place (i.e. after the tone stack and channel MVs). However, then you'd really need to use the Return control as a global master. Which BTW should work excellent.

Or another solution would be to hard-wire the Send/Return jacks and then use the existing shielded cable to/from the Send/Return jacks to have an unbuffered insert-type loop and use an external Dumblator or Ceriatone Clator for your buffered loop. The Clator has some extra switches to further shape the tone and Dumblators/Clators add some slight smoothing/fattening that MIGHT actually enhance the SLO. Here your global master would be on the Dlator/Clator.

I've installed internal D'lators and used the Return as the Master and those MVs always worked great with good taper.

aftec":2tcjfgwm said:
The SLO loop is pure broken. Suhr has a fix, but as anything else in the SLO, this broken loop is part of the "majik", if you fix it, it will have a slight difference in tone.
The SLO on paper should be a broken amp, but beside all of it's issues (crosstalk on clean/overdirve channel, way too high voltage on the effects loops. bad phase flip after the loop, etc) just adds up to be one of the best amps ever, as it is. Just leave it original and work around it, like tapping the speaker out with a Palmer or a Redbox and feed the effects from it WDW.

That's the most original and true description of the SLO to date!

:thumbsup:

FWIW, my SLO clone has an extra opto coupler to eliminate that crosstalk between channels. I have it bypassed right now and actually prefer it that way.

steve_k":399bfgi9 said:
aftec":399bfgi9 said:

I always thought the SLO should be renamed tho HA as Happy accident. :D

aftec":12418w0n said:
steve_k":12418w0n said:
aftec":12418w0n said:

I always thought the SLO should be renamed tho HA as Happy accident. :D

Like having a hot step-sister. You know its wrong, but damn it's nice. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Racerxrated":1r4tezzy said:
When I gigged with one I either ran dry or wet/dry. Little more load in/out but worth it.

There it is. Just line out if you really need effects. I only use an od for solos so the loop doesn't get used by me.

Back