Sell your mark IIC+: the black album was a mark 3.

Im not upset in the least, I’m just laughing at people who think bob rock is some senile old man and confused, it’s just hillarious how butthurt these guys get about that MAYBE their beloved amp wasn’t used in the way they thought it was, same as with MOP. The fact that you can’t start a thread like this without guys taking it way too seriously, should tell you everything you need to know about how people feel about this subject.
I don’t see anybody being butthurt about that their $10K Mark IIC+ maybe wasn’t used to be honest. It could be a Line 6 for all I care. I’ve had a bunch of Mark III’s, still have my Mark III Coliseum, which is killer. As well as IIC+/++’s. But the fact that Bob Rock talks about it for 5 seconds 30 years afterwards when all the evidence says otherwise would surely be argued. But you are right, a IIC+ won’t get you that tone. Most of Metallica’s Boogie tones were C++, which is quite different.

Sounds to me like you started this thread just to stir up some drama, and then complain about it. Exo said it best, your thread sucks donkey balls.

That being said, I'd really like to try a IVa some time.
This is His M.O. I think VESMedic is a good guitar player & his recordings sound pretty great to me But, it seems as if he lives to stroke his own Ego & stir up Drama like a 15 year old high school girl. it's truly kinda gross. Don't you have better things to do? you know like " Meanwhile I’ve delivered 15 children, and help completely helpless strangers everyday when they call 911" Obviously this quote was from the thread where he was bashing Reza.(Reza is garbage) There are more quotes like this i'm sure. Real Men Don't behave like this & Real Heroes Move in Silence.

I have quite a few friends that are cops, firefighters, soliders (My dad was in vietnam for 27 Months) Paramedics & even politicians(Local ones) and they NEVER brag on themselves as much as he does & they never STIR up shit just to stroke their own ego or to push their opnion as though it's fact.

VESMedic strikes me as the type of dude who starts shit & then says to his wife " Hey Honey, Look how I owned these fools" constant need for attention (Narcissist Socoiopath) I'm sure that Chris Beehan is a Great Dude IRL But his On-line persona Sucks.

Last edited:
This is His M.O. I think VESMedic is a good guitar player & his recordings sound pretty great to me But, it seems as if he lives to stroke his own Ego & stir up Drama like a 15 year old high school girl. it's truly kinda gross. Don't you have better things to do? you know like " Meanwhile I’ve delivered 15 children, and help completely helpless strangers everyday when they call 911" Obviously this quote was from the thread where he was bashing Reza.(Reza is garbage) There are more quotes like this i'm sure. Real Men Don't behave like this & Real Heroes Move in Silence. I have quite a few friends that are cops, firefighters, soliders (My dad was in vietnam for 27 Months) Paramedics & even politicians(Local ones) and they NEVER brag on themselves as much as he does & they never STIR up shit just to stroke their own ego or to push their opnion as though it's fact.

VESMedic strikes me as the type of dude who starts shit & then says to his wife " Hey Honey, Look how I owned these fools" constant need for attention (Narcissist Socoiopath) I'm sure that Chris Beehan is a Great Dude IRL But his On-line persona Sucks.

You put way too much thought into this. Sorry my quotes hurt your feelings, I’ll try to behave more like you think I should, I mean after all, 2 sentences about my career making a tongue in cheek comment in 20+ years of being on forums IS over the top, my bad bro. And yes, I 100 percent started this thread to poke fun at this topic, who care? Don’t like it? Move along, like we all do when we don’t want to read something.

So when was the switch from Marshall amps to Mesa? Black album definitely sounds like Mesa to me, but Puppets could be either?

So when was the switch from Marshall amps to Mesa? Black album definitely sounds like Mesa to me, but Puppets could be either?
Yes, they started using Boogie amps on Puppets.

Attachments

• B48162BF-3867-4482-8D52-D8578A171140.jpeg
    B48162BF-3867-4482-8D52-D8578A171140.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78
Try Aphex EQF-2. They were originally called B&B, but Aphex bought the company and changed the name, but they are exactly the same. Metallica used them a lot back in th

I kept thinking I know about the apex but what’s the B+B ? Now I get it

Ineresting, that is indeed the right EQ. They still fetch 800+$ .. I think they were potentially reissued with this model. Sounds very versatile and like it allows you to really carve.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB2QCJ4/?tag=review20-20

That’s correct, but I think the reissue have a different Q width than the original one.

Probably, they looked like they were cheaper too so maybe some corners cut. I love the appeal of old gear though. Just looks cool, smells worn in. I was reading a thread the other day on Reddit about why studios keep so much analog gear around when there are such good emulations now in the box and with plugins. Yes there is a sound trade off to an extent but one of the biggest factors is that people psychologically respond differently and play differently when things are tactile or their brains feel like something is going to be giving them that 1% "better". Setting EQ with a mouse vs hearing it and twisting knobs is a totally different experience. I think I am one of those people .. i just like seeing my gear even if I barely get to use it.

Anyway, back to this thread, I would think many of you are right. More than one amp was used on these recordings. That sound is everything from the preamp - power amp- EQ- compressors used - and console used to sum it all. That's the magic.

They used up to 9 amps at the same time. Its likely that everyone is correct lol. Having owned them all, the IIC++ is where its at for me. I did like the Mark III red stripe better for metal than the IIC+ I owned. Mark IV is great but not as punchy and open as the others. BIG IRON BABY!

After reading countless arguments over this over the years, this is where I’m at with it as well. The one thing that sticks out was when on Year And A Half Of when Kirk is butchering ”The Unforgiven”‘s solo over and over and Bob says something like, “Just use whatever, I’ll run it through an amp later, I don’t want to dick around with sounds all day.”, indicating that the deciding factor would come in during the mixing sessions and they’d just re-amp shit as needed.

Overall, I think there’s way too much emphasis on gear specifics in the context of albums and people tend to forget that during the mixing process, a producer/engineer will do whatever the fuck they have to in order to get everything sounding how they want it. I doubt Lars’ drums were the only thing they’d EQ the shit out of on that album.

Back