Selling on reverb

Nb4 our dear beloved brother Fluff. Y'all seen his videos about crazy shit on Reverb?

SAGE

Trying to build an alternative. I built ToneFind, launched about 6 weeks ago. Its building slowly but surely.
https://ToneFind.com

Just launched a feature a couple days ago that lets you use your Facebook, Google or LinkedIn account to create a ToneFind account.
I have joined. I remember you talking about this before. I know that the platform may have to have some bugs worked out, but I think this has a lot of promise compared to the other platforms.

I just sold my modded JJ100 on Reverb last week. I did the math and was pretty surprised how much fees were. Shipping a 100watt head with insurance wasn't too cheap either.

My JJ100 sold within 30 minutes of posting on Reverb. So I was happy with that. It wasn't moving on any of the forums or FB marketplace.

Trying to build an alternative. I built ToneFind, launched about 6 weeks ago. Its building slowly but surely.
https://ToneFind.com

Just launched a feature a couple days ago that lets you use your Facebook, Google or LinkedIn account to create a ToneFind account.

I just signed up. Thank you for doing this. ...I think it would be good for folks to know how the fees and taxes work at the point of sale for the seller compared to Reverb.

Below is for the total sale, which for Reverb includes the taxes in that state.

ToneFind:
  • Selling fee: 3.5%
  • Processing fee: 2.9% + $0.30
  • Total: 6.4% + $0.30
Reverb:
  • Selling Fee: 5%
  • Processing fee: 2.7% + $0.25
  • Total: 7.7% + $0.25
Ebay: ...I don't use ebay. Someone else could fill this out here if they want.

https://tonefind.com/info/payment-and-fees/
  • Not sure if you could add a matrix comparison of all three to show where ToneFind is more competitive? Might help sell/market the site and pull some folks away from less competitive sites. This page has good examples of how the trades work.
Also, maybe I missed it, but how does ToneFind handle sales tax?

Cheers.

I just signed up. Thank you for doing this. ...I think it would be good for folks to know how the fees and taxes work at the point of sale for the seller compared to Reverb.

Below is for the total sale, which for Reverb includes the taxes in that state.

ToneFind:
  • Selling fee: 3.5%
  • Processing fee: 2.9% + $0.30
  • Total: 6.4% + $0.30
Reverb:
  • Selling Fee: 5%
  • Processing fee: 2.7% + $0.25
  • Total: 7.7% + $0.25
Ebay: ...I don't use ebay. Someone else could fill this out here if they want.

https://tonefind.com/info/payment-and-fees/
  • Not sure if you could add a matrix comparison of all three to show where ToneFind is more competitive? Might help sell/market the site and pull some folks away from less competitive sites. This page has good examples of how the trades work.
Also, maybe I missed it, but how does ToneFind handle sales tax?

Cheers.
Thanks. I can’t do anything about the payment processing fees, it’s pretty close no matter the service used. Once the site gets going and I get a feel of cost to run it, I’m hoping to lower the 3.5%, but starting there as it’s what we were used to.
I started to do a matrix, but I didn’t want to reference those sites on the site.

Thanks. I can’t do anything about the payment processing fees, it’s pretty close no matter the service used. Once the site gets going and I get a feel of cost to run it, I’m hoping to lower the 3.5%, but starting there as it’s what we were used to.
I started to do a matrix, but I didn’t want to reference those sites on the site.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you could reference those anyway. ...Excited for the site!

I actually do appreciate having Reverb though.
I agree with everything with the issues.
It "hits" everybody at somepoint, the the more transactions you make, the more risk for a Soap Opera.
Each time learn more ways to protect ourselves.
Think about it, you never actually see and talk to who that could be, ya know I mean?
Now some B rated A.I. handles our disputes.
Just gotta up the game and keep your moves close to the chest.

You're almost always better off selling at GC or Sam Ash. With ebay and reverb fees and taxes and shipping and paypal fees and packaging, you would end up with probably the same amount of money those stores would give you. Plus it's just easier.

I really don't like to spend more than about $100 on Reverb. Or it at least has to be a really good deal because I also have to pay 10.2% sales tax where I live. I hate paying sales tax from a private seller on used gear. I haven't sold anything on Reverb ever since they did that whole PayPal thing a while back. I also don't want to ship anything more than a pedal these days.

I actually do appreciate having Reverb though.
I agree with everything with the issues.
It "hits" everybody at somepoint, the the more transactions you make, the more risk for a Soap Opera.
Each time learn more ways to protect ourselves.
Think about it, you never actually see and talk to who that could be, ya know I mean?
Now some B rated A.I. handles our disputes.
Just gotta up the game and keep your moves close to the chest.
Agreed. I wouldn’t be where I am in my gear journey without reverb, but I get it, a lot of things about them still suck. I’ve had to deal with a few difficult buyers or sellers here and there, but nothing terrible and no scams yet and have done literally over 300 transactions there and all 5 stars. There were a few guys that tried to scam me, but it was obvious and I just ignored them

Last edited:
You're almost always better off selling at GC or Sam Ash. With ebay and reverb fees and taxes and shipping and paypal fees and packaging, you would end up with probably the same amount of money those stores would give you. Plus it's just easier.
I can only agree that it’s easier. The amount they give you for trade in there is terrible, Sam Ash even more so. I’ve lots of experience selling gear both ways and even with all those fees and hassles I’ve always gotten WAY more $ through reverb and eBay. Would be better even selling super cheap on here than what those stores would give me. At least that’s how it is where I am in NY. Maybe they’re more generous in your area. If so, I’m jealous haha

I can only agree that it’s easier. The amount they give you for trade in there is terrible, Sam Ash even more so. I’ve lots of experience selling gear both ways and even with all those fees and hassles I’ve always gotten WAY more $ through reverb and eBay. Would be better even selling super cheap on here than what those stores would give me. At least that’s how it is where I am in NY. Maybe they’re more generous in your area. If so, I’m jealous haha
I've gotten $350 for an $800 guitar from Sam Ash. That's about what I'd end up with selling online; figure ask for $600 online, get haggled down to $500 or so depending how long it sits on there (could be weeks and weeks) Pay for shipping and possibly packing could run anywhere from $30 - $80. Then selling fees could be anywhere short of $50 give or take......ok so maybe you get a little more selling online, but my Sam Ash is only 20 minutes away so its super convenient lol.

I've gotten $350 for an $800 guitar from Sam Ash. That's about what I'd end up with selling online; figure ask for $600 online, get haggled down to $500 or so depending how long it sits on there (could be weeks and weeks) Pay for shipping and possibly packing could run anywhere from $30 - $80. Then selling fees could be anywhere short of $50 give or take......ok so maybe you get a little more selling online, but my Sam Ash is only 20 minutes away so its super convenient lol.
For something like that it makes sense, but for stuff more expensive than that it’s just too much of a loss and for more rare or esoteric items I’d probably get even worse trade in value. I’ve only really used them lately for pedals and stuff I had worth less than $100 for convenience like you said (15 minutes away for me). They’re also friendly and I guess no need to worry about them complaining for a refund for stupid reasons like you get every once in a while from a buyer on reverb that you’re forced to give on there lol

Back