Seriously, what are people thinking with these used gear prices?

I've never inflated my prices. I ignore the stupidity and sell at reasonable values.

The thing about Reverb is, what things sold for aren't accurate. And that contributes to the problem. If a guy lists an amp at $2000 and takes an offer for $1700, that item shows selling at $2000. That's a flaw of their system. Is it intentional? Are they doing it on purpose? After all, the higher the sale, the higher their cut. But, they've created a fucked up market since many use it as a measuring stick. It's not an accurate tool, whatsoever.

Sure, there's people paying ridiculous prices, but I find more of these delusional sellers' gear sits for months to even years with no offers.
I'm afraid you're mistaken; this is incorrect information. In the Price Guide's Transaction History, Reverb shows the "Sold Price," which reflects offers that were accepted. To your point though, perhaps one flaw of this section is that it shows international prices, which are usually a bit out of whack with US domestic prices.

priceguide.PNG

I agree 110%
We had this with eBay also.
For me the issue is everything is going up.

My advice is save your money because there will be a mass sell off. People will be selling to pay bills and you can get some good deals.

I'm afraid you're mistaken; this is incorrect information. In the Price Guide's Transaction History, Reverb shows the "Sold Price," which reflects offers that were accepted. To your point though, perhaps one flaw of this section is that it shows international prices, which are usually a bit out of whack with US domestic prices.

View attachment 110438
Most people look at Sold listings, which is inaccurate. They show the listed price. Not mistaken. This method doesn't tell the story, which, since you can look at sold listings as an option, isn't accurate.

Screenshot_20220307-105740_Reverb.jpg

Most people look at Sold listings, which is inaccurate. They show the listed price. Not mistaken. This method doesn't tell the story, which, since you can look at sold listings as an option, isn't accurate.

View attachment 110444
Interesting. I've never used that as a gauge to prices things. I've always used the method I described above where it shows the real transaction data.

I'll say this: In the past, I have had to educate sellers that the listed prices are not the sold prices. In other words, just because people are listing an American Strat for $1700 doesn't mean they're selling for $1700. So I've used that transaction data to get sellers to lower their prices. One strategy I'll use is to average the last 10 sale prices. So I'll message the seller and say: "Hey, I know you're asking $1700. The average price of the last 10 sold was $1485. So I can make an offer of $1500." Usually works; most people are realistic when it comes to closing a deal.

Interesting. I've never used that as a gauge to prices things. I've always used the method I described above where it shows the real transaction data.

I'll say this: In the past, I have had to educate sellers that the listed prices are not the sold prices. In other words, just because people are listing an American Strat for $1700 doesn't mean they're selling for $1700. So I've used that transaction data to get sellers to lower their prices. One strategy I'll use is to average the last 10 sale prices. So I'll message the seller and say: "Hey, I know you're asking $1700. The average price of the last 10 sold was $1485. So I can make an offer of $1500." Usually works; most people are realistic when it comes to closing a deal.
Yeah, most people don't know the difference between what an item "goes for", and look at currently listings, vs. actual data. That's a big part of the problem. People look at current listings that are overpriced and say "that's what they're going for", while they sit for 6 months or a year with no bids.

Reverb is the land of dreamers and morons. Anytime I see someone basing used pricing off of Reverb prices, I am pretty much done with that deal. Makes it even worse when you have local mom and pops doing it and putting $4,000 on a JCM 800 2203 because they "Saw one go for that on Reverb!"

I agree 100% on everything stated in this topic...
But...
The worst thing right now is the scums...
Damm so many fakes these days at very high prices...
I' ve seen so many partcasters listed as fender custom shops that is f annoying...

Reverb is the land of dreamers and morons. Anytime I see someone basing used pricing off of Reverb prices, I am pretty much done with that deal. Makes it even worse when you have local mom and pops doing it and putting $4,000 on a JCM 800 2203 because they "Saw one go for that on Reverb!"
Yeah, look at this nonsense. These used to be $300-$400.
Screenshot_20220307-121933_Chrome.jpg

One fuckhead does it, and the rest follow suit.

I've never inflated my prices. I ignore the stupidity and sell at reasonable values.

The thing about Reverb is, what things sold for aren't accurate. And that contributes to the problem. If a guy lists an amp at $2000 and takes an offer for $1700, that item shows selling at $2000. That's a flaw of their system. Is it intentional? Are they doing it on purpose? After all, the higher the sale, the higher their cut. But, they've created a fucked up market since many use it as a measuring stick. It's not an accurate tool, whatsoever.

Sure, there's people paying ridiculous prices, but I find more of these delusional sellers' gear sits for months to even years with no offers.
This is true . I keep watching all these crazy 2c+ prices and they just relisted over and over .

Aren’t the Chinese characters for crisis and opportunity the same? Or something like that. Hardly any of what we’re seeing on music gear is inflation. Especially for used gear. The price jumps in used gear are far higher than any increases we’ve seen in new. It’s people and companies trying to take advantage of a crisis. That’s why War happens. It creates amazing flows of money. The Oil prices are going up not just because of Russia but because the industry see’s an opportunity in the crisis to make more money.

I found an amp that I've been wanting for a little bit less than half of the going rate. It was listed a week ago. I sent an email to see if they still have it but no reply. There are still deals out there occasionally.

Cabs on the other hand can almost always get on the cheap if you look more than a day or two. I need another 2x12 or 4x12 with v30s to use with my Skeleton key and my Mark iv. Thankfully I'm in no hurry

Notice how we can’t pass the cost of living back to the employer? It’s costing me more to wake my ass up and get my butt to work, and to eat while I’m at work. In the Immortal words spoken by Brad Pitt in Killing Me Softly (paraphrasing) “This is America, pay me”…lol

Back