Seriously, what are people thinking with these used gear prices?

MadAsAHatter

https://reverb.com/item/51577238-crate-stealth-gt-50

Found another gem on reverb. I get that the world situation has made things a bit crazy, but some of these sellers have lost their damn minds. $700 for a Crate Stealth combo. There was a time when you couldn't give these things away. Yeah I have one & it's a cool amp; Lee Jackson designed hot rod Marshall that oozes 80's hair metal. But $700 worth of cool it is not.

The way some of this stuff is being listed maybe I should put a few of mine up for sale and buy a house with the proceeds. I should be able to get at least enough for a good down payment from my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 :LOL:

It's crazy.

I recently got an old Uberschall which I massively overpaid for.

But it's the 'last amp' I want.

I either pony up the cash or I wait for the guy who's selling one cheap... oh wait, there isn't a guy ever selling one cheap...

But life is short and I got a rare amp I've always wanted.

I now choose to look at my rig instead of my bank account 🤣😎

It's crazy.

I recently got an old Uberschall which I massively overpaid for.

But it's the 'last amp' I want.

I either pony up the cash or I wait for the guy who's selling one cheap... oh wait, there isn't a guy ever selling one cheap...

But life is short and I got a rare amp I've always wanted.

I now choose to look at my rig instead of my bank account 🤣😎

Yep, just did the same thing with a dream guitar.

Unfortunately, inflation is reality, and you just have to pony up.

Turns out that when you print more money in one year than all other previous years combined and then pump that money into the economy via “stimulus” all while encouraging people to stay home and not work which reduces the GDP, then you have way more money in circulation than there are goods to buy with all that money. This situation was seen over two years ago by some who tried to warn about lockdowns and stimulus and the effects it would cause to the economy down the line. But, whatever. COVID was super duper gonna kill us all with its 97% survival rate. We had to do what we had to do, right? Yeah, that’s an outrageous price for a used Crate, it’s super crazy. I have no idea whatsoever why people want to charge outrageous prices for their crap. It’s a mystery to me.

Turns out that when you print more money in one year than all other previous years combined and then pump that money into the economy via “stimulus” all while encouraging people to stay home and not work which reduces the GDP, then you have way more money in circulation than there are goods to buy with all that money. This situation was seen over two years ago by some who tried to warn about lockdowns and stimulus and the effects it would cause to the economy down the line. But, whatever. COVID was super duper gonna kill us all with its 97% survival rate. We had to do what we had to do, right? Yeah, that’s an outrageous price for a used Crate, it’s super crazy. I have no idea whatsoever why people want to charge outrageous prices for their crap. It’s a mystery to me.
You got that survival rate wrong friend…..more like 99.89000% unless your talking old folks that were ALREADY DYING.
Just sayin.

Used stuff is insane but I continue to sell and buy at what I consider fair. That’s just me I guess? The guy I sold my 2C+ to made about 6k so good for him.

Pretty bummed, I'm not a strat guy but what guitar player doesn't like the movie crossroads? I came across a custom shop jack butler and had the deal done and seller backs out after making calls to a few retailers and came back and said he needs $4k now...hard pass🖕

Last edited:
My wife is in the medical field and I get reports every day from the local hospital. It’s EYE opening to say the least. I’ll leave it at that.

Oh I know brotha, I’ve been in healthcare for going on 16 years as well, absolutely insane!

There's much worse than that on Reverb. I saw a couple Peavey VTM's at $1000 or more, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL's over $1000, (one at $1550!) I've been looking into picking up a used JVM 205H, and they're starting over $1200! Last used one I bought was in mint condition 2 years ago, and was $750. Now, doubled. Was looking for a used Core PRS Singlecut and gave up. Those have jumped significantly. Used to be, (a Stripped 58 or SC245), would run $1600 - $2000.. Now, $2200 - $3000. I gave up and got an older S2 Singlecut cheap and I'll upgrade the electronics and still save a big chunk. (And even that took nearly a month to find an S2 priced reasonably).

Don't think it's as much inflation as it is ignorance - sellers delusional, and buyers overpaying. It's a viscous cycle of people out of touch with reality.

Don't think it's as much inflation as it is ignorance - sellers delusional, and buyers overpaying. It's a viscous cycle of people out of touch with reality.
That's just an idiot thinking they have a "Rare" "Vintage" piece of gear.

I tend to agree with this. Inflation is at an all time high, but I don't think it accounts for these ridiculous asking prices. It's ludicrous to see that I am having a custom amp built to my specs for near the same price that some of this stuff you couldn't give away a few years ago is being listed at now. We're seeing 500% + jumps, that's lunacy; delusional sellers and ignorant buyers. People have to realize that old is not the same as vintage and rare and does not equal valuable.

And LOL at the spellcheck... I missed typing the "o" in ludicrous and it spell checked it to Ludacris :hys:

Last edited:
Get use to it with new prices going up and up. You may find someone desperate and selling cheap.
Have you bought a steak at the store in the last six months? And just wait till gas goes up even more. Those trucking companies ain’t taking a cut in pay. And I wouldn’t either. So everyone passes the buck on till it’s the consumer that pays.
Hmmmm,maybe closing the pipeline day one was a bad idea!

?
I bought a new truck at the end of 2020.
Today it’s worth sticker price. Well,close.
But there’s nothing out there to buy to replace it. Not even new ones And if you find something used it’s overpriced.
I’m looking for a new set of speakers for a cabinet. I can’t find celestion heritage in 16ohms. There not out there. I see one or two used ones and there asking new prices. I don’t blame anyone trying to not take a lose. If you don’t want to pay those high prices then wait it out.

Inflation, the pandemic, lockdowns, shortages, limited new gear production: all of these have played into the rapid rise of gear prices since the beginning of 2020. Perhaps one thing few people are talking about is how the rapid ubiquity of Reverb has been a catalyst for increased prices: it's introduced a lot of wealthy, uninformed buyers into the marketplace. It's also aligned prices across the country. Either way, 100% agree that prices are higher than ever.

But really, what do you want people to do? Sell their gear at 2018 prices? Wake up one day and go, "Well, this Plexi is worth $4000 on the open market right now but I'm going to go ahead and sell well below market value because it's the 'right' thing to do?" It's not going to happen.

There's only one thing you can count on in this world: people will always do whatever they can do (our beloved Congress has shown us that time and time again, regardless of party) and in this case they can find buyers for these prices. You might not like it, but it is what it is, and people aren't going to accept your "fair" offer of $1500 for that Plexi because someone will pay $4000.

These threads have no point because I guarantee when it's time for you to sell your gear, you'll sell it at these inflated prices too. Why? Because you can.

Somethings only worth what someone is willing to give for it. I wouldn't give $10 for a Crate.

Inflation, the pandemic, lockdowns, shortages, limited new gear production: all of these have played into the rapid rise of gear prices since the beginning of 2020. Perhaps one thing few people are talking about is how the rapid ubiquity of Reverb has been a catalyst for increased prices: it's introduced a lot of wealthy, uninformed buyers into the marketplace. It's also aligned prices across the country. Either way, 100% agree that prices are higher than ever.

But really, what do you want people to do? Sell their gear at 2018 prices? Wake up one day and go, "Well, this Plexi is worth $4000 on the open market right now but I'm going to go ahead and sell well below market value because it's the 'right' thing to do?" It's not going to happen.

There's only one thing you can count on in this world: people will always do whatever they can do (our beloved Congress has shown us that time and time again, regardless of party) and in this case they can find buyers for these prices. You might not like it, but it is what it is, and people aren't going to accept your "fair" offer of $1500 for that Plexi because someone will pay $4000.

These threads have no point because I guarantee when it's time for you to sell your gear, you'll sell it at these inflated prices too. Why? Because you can.
I've never inflated my prices. I ignore the stupidity and sell at reasonable values.

The thing about Reverb is, what things sold for aren't accurate. And that contributes to the problem. If a guy lists an amp at $2000 and takes an offer for $1700, that item shows selling at $2000. That's a flaw of their system. Is it intentional? Are they doing it on purpose? After all, the higher the sale, the higher their cut. But, they've created a fucked up market since many use it as a measuring stick. It's not an accurate tool, whatsoever.

Sure, there's people paying ridiculous prices, but I find more of these delusional sellers' gear sits for months to even years with no offers.

Back