Should I trade my 100 watt QR for a 50 watt version?

fek

I love my QR 100 but I don't use gear 3 and could use a little less low end. When I am using it I do get close to rehearsal volumes but I still don't need the 100 watt power section. It is fun to have though!

Just a thought that has been kicking around in my head.

Pull the 2 outer or inner tubes and see if that helps. Should drop power a bit. You could also get a set of THD Yellowjackets.

Pull the 2 outer or inner tubes and see if that helps. Should drop power a bit. You could also get a set of THD Yellowjackets.
Not interested in the Yellowjackets but pulling two tubes is an option. I think that I read that I would need to adjust the ohms setting as well when doing this. I have a 16 ohm cab so I would need to change this to 8 ohms on the amp if I pulled two tubes. Does that sound right? I think I tried this with a RM100 and I don't remember bumping the ohms setting on the amp.

I wouldn't do it. 100w vs 50w is negligible in terms of volume. Need less low end...just turn the bass down or throw a TS type OD out front. Keep the 100W so you have the option of the added girth/thump when you want it.

It's probably fine the way it is. Even on multi channel amps I generally dial in the one channel I like the best and stick with it so not using gear 3 at all is not a big deal. The loop level master actually works really well to tame the volume also.

I keep the bass at just a hair below 9:00 when I am playing along to a mix. I have some moving blankets on my walls but I still think that my room just might be a bit boomy which is probably causing some of my thoughts.

I've been running at half power (50w) for a long time now. Mainly to save on tubes and I can't really hear much difference between the two. Yes rebias. Yes cut ohms in half. Yes save on tubes. There are advantages of 100w too but I see that as more headroom and more 'girth' as mentioned but these amp have plenty of girth at all wattages. Hell - have you heard some of these 22w 6V6 versions?

I have my bass = 9:30, mids = 1pm, treble = 7:30am ('0'), vol = 11am, gain = 1pm, loop vol = 4pm, Gear 2, OD 2, boosted w Koko or Bad Monkey

any of you guys ever run these with the loop master and volume on front of the amp wide open? My captor X attenuation is really extreme so using that vs the loop master is really a toss up. I'm wondering at what point the amp stops getting louder and just starts to compress more. Plus I don't want to blow the thing up LOL. In order for the solo boost to work with a decent volume kick I've found that I need to keep the volume on the front of the amp at about 10:00 max, once I start going louder I start to lose the added volume boost from the solo boost .
I'm running mine through the Scumbacks
Pres 11:00 bass:10:00 Mids : noon Treble: 11:30, vol 10:00 gain 11:00 gear one OD 1. "Old" mode.
this is for my classic Rock band
I kick on a Klon type OD in the FX 8 for soloing
The loop master is set depending on what room I'm in. when home practicing it's around 9:00
for shred I Go Gear 2 gain 2:00 and bump up the mids and treble to about 1:00. Gear 2 sounds a touch darker to me than gear 1

to get back to the OP's question, is size and weight are not an issue I'd keep it for all of the stated reasons. throw an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop (I do) and dial it in exactly like you want it. I tend to cut 125Hz down -3 and it kills the boom quite a bit without thinning the sound. With the EQ in the loop you can really "fine tune" these amps

Last edited:
Good post. I've been back and forth on getting a new Splawn sometime next year and can't decide between 50 and 100w. I gig and most stages I play now prefer low to medium stage volume. I had a Pro Stock years ago and it was just too much power. I know 50 vs. 100 can be negligible.

I was thinking of a Mini Competition Fully Loaded, which I think you can do half power to 25watts. Splawns have so much punch and bass as it is, I can't imagine the 50w is THAT drastic of a difference between the 100watt in terms of bass and punch.

Great thread!

Back