Single humbucker guitar , separate volume and tone knob or just single ?

ccn

Banned
Just curious to what peoples preferences are regarding single humbucker guitars .

Is it a waste to have a separate tone knob ?

Thank you kindly

For me, yes it’s a waste. I never use the tone knob on a humbucker equipped guitar. Single coils I will sometimes if I need to mellow out the top end in a section, like when using a Telecaster.

Reactions: ccn
If you just use a volume knob for a single humbucker what tone level are you getting out of the pickup , what I mean is if you have the volume knob at max setting are you getting the humbucker at max treble ? Will max volume always result in a max tone setting ?

I do not think it is a waste if you use high-quality capacitors and pots. For me that was a real Euraka moment, I have a guitar loaded with BKP p/ups/pots/caps (the cap is the important part), it is the only one with high quality caps, and it is the only one that the tone knob doesn't kill the tone to me ears, it is darker, but still musical and has just a killer feel to it. The tone knob is not something I use much, but who knows if I just do not like it, or if every tone knob I have had up until this point has been a tone-suck...hard to say.

Anyway, I vote yes to including the tone knob, if you will use it, and if the part are high quality. Orange Drop Caps are good and not that much $$$. .

Last edited:
If you just use a volume knob for a single humbucker what tone level are you getting out of the pickup , what I mean is if you have the volume knob at max setting are you getting the humbucker at max treble ? Will max volume always result in a max tone setting ?
If there is only a volume knob, then it would sound as if the tone knob was cranked to 10 all the time, A tone knob is just a volume knob with a capacitor designed to roll-off highs. If that cap is not wired in, there is no tone knob effect possible. regardless of the position of the volume knob.

Turn the tone knob into a push/pull pot for coil splitting, then it actually has a use.
In fairness, you could just push/pull the volume...maybe two different purposes for the switches, the volume pot splits the coil, the tone one puts it out of phase, something alone those lines.

I never normally have a tone pot on a single hum guitar but lately I am thinking it would be a great idea so I can roll off some high end for soloing to get a neck pickup feel ... actually I think i'm going to do that to one of my guitars

I have a single Humbucker guitar. When it was volume only, it was much brighter than my other guitars with the exact same pickup so I installed a concentric pot with the tone knob the smaller one and the outside ring the volume. Now I don't have to adjust the amp when I play that guitar. Here it is -

1988 Jackson RR reverse headstock by John Bazzano, on Flickr
have you posted up a pic of this guitar here in the last few days?? I have seen it but not sure if it was here or facebook...it is cool as shit

Personally I prefer just volume knob. However, if someone has a guitar with just 1 volume knob and wants to suck some high frequencies out of the pickup signal, there are some simple workarounds.

This is somehow standard wiring with separate tone pot. Tone pot behaves just as variable resistor. The lower is resistance, more treble content is 'sucked to ground'. All resistor and capacitor values are just an example:

01_rt_hb_tone_pot.png

Advantage or disadvantage of tone pot is, that it sucks some high frequencies at all times, even on max treble setting. If someone wants to emulate this behavior on a guitar with just one volume knob, it is pretty easy to add a fixed resistor and capacitor:
02_rt_hb_tone_fixed.png

If someone wants to have fast switching between 'no tone knob' wiring i.e. for rhythm and 'some tone knob setting' for lead, it is possible to implement an ON/OFF switch. Off position is 'no tone knob'. Instead of the switch, push-pull pot can be used. Component values should be chosen experimentally, up to liking. Cap i.e. somewhere between 10nF to 68nF, resistor 0 - 1MOhm. Depends as well on pickups of course.

03_rt_hb_tone_switch.png

Here one more example with two fixed settings, where emulated tone knob is connected at all times. Again, instead of a switch, push-pull pot can be used to avoid drilling to precious instrument. OFF position means more treble, as the sum of Ra+Rb takes place. ON position means less treble, as just Ra is active.
04_rt_hb_tone_switch_2.png

There are many options, in the same way caps can be switched, or both caps and resistors... Just one needs to be careful, any component with one disconnected leg should stay connected on it's ground side, not on a side with active signal.

For me, yes it’s a waste. I never use the tone knob on a humbucker equipped guitar. Single coils I will sometimes if I need to mellow out the top end in a section, like when using a Telecaster.
False. Stoner stuck wah drone toanz are the shit with a .015 cap wired ‘50’s style. Scratch off some contact to make it no-load and it’s vol only until called for. 👍🏻

Back