Small heads with power soak and IR loading- comparisons?

Soundstorm

I'm still on the hunt for a small high gain tube head with onboard power soak and IR loading. Something I can leave where I travel remotely for work- my away from the studio, studio.

I've been considering the Mesa Badlander 25, Engl Ironball SE, and just started looking into the Revv G20.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Have any of you been able to compare any of these? I'm mainly interested in the direct recording sound quality, and quality of 3rd party IRs loaded into the amp.

I had the Ironball SE for a bit. Loved the amp but was not impressed with the power soak. Played through the same IRs, they sounded much better through my captor X than the onboard unit IMO. I haven't tried the badlander but would really like to someday. I'm also strongly considering one of those portable Victory amps. Solid state power section but the IRs sound pretty good it seems.

The Suhr PT15 is pricey but sounds great from what I've heard. I'm not necessarily a fan of Pete's channel, but I doubt he'd put his name on something that wasn't outstanding.

I had the Ironball SE for a bit. Loved the amp but was not impressed with the power soak. Played through the same IRs, they sounded much better through my captor X than the onboard unit IMO. I haven't tried the badlander but would really like to someday. I'm also strongly considering one of those portable Victory amps. Solid state power section but the IRs sound pretty good it seems.

The Suhr PT15 is pricey but sounds great from what I've heard. I'm not necessarily a fan of Pete's channel, but I doubt he'd put his name on something that wasn't outstanding.
Cool, thanks for the info. I hadn't looked into the Victory ones. I doubt the PT can get as heavy as what I'm looking for but I'll look into it anyway. The Suhr IR technology is solid.

Adding the Soldano Astro 20 to the list. Anyone have experience with that one?

Interesting design in that once the cabless mode is engaged, the powertubes are bypassed and the circuit employs a digital power amp emulation.

Something to consider: if you are going to use digital power amp emulation like on the Soldano Astro 20, then you are basically in preamp land, and in that case it may be just as satisfying (and way cheaper and more portable) to go with something like the Friedman IR-X with DSP IR cabinet/power amp simulation.

Personally I would go with amp of choice + something like the Suhr IR reactive load because of how good loaded down amps sound and feel when they are using their original power section, but note I have no experience playing through the Soldano Astro 20 power amp emulation. That amp does sound great though, and I like how it allows you to change the cabinet IR for each channel.

Something to consider: if you are going to use digital power amp emulation like on the Soldano Astro 20, then you are basically in preamp land, and in that case it may be just as satisfying (and way cheaper and more portable) to go with something like the Friedman IR-X with DSP IR cabinet/power amp simulation.

Personally I would go with amp of choice + something like the Suhr IR reactive load because of how good loaded down amps sound and feel when they are using their original power section, but note I have no experience playing through the Soldano Astro 20 power amp emulation. That amp does sound great though, and I like how it allows you to change the cabinet IR for each channel.
I don't think the Astro is going to be an option because of these reasons. I've tried the IR-X also but didn't really bond with it. It's more geared towards classic and hard rock IMO. Space is limited in my situation, so an all in one solution is what I'm looking for. So far the Revv G20 is the front runner.

I don't think the Astro is going to be an option because of these reasons. I've tried the IR-X also but didn't really bond with it. It's more geared towards classic and hard rock IMO. Space is limited in my situation, so an all in one solution is what I'm looking for. So far the Revv G20 is the front runner.
Gotcha. Yeah, just checked out the Revv G20 and it sounds great. Seems to have the exact feature set you are after. Absolutely hate the appearance (yeah who cares), but they also released a more traditional looking version. Easy front runner.

Back