So tried the new Bogner pedals today...

jkkkjkhk

Gotta say I was pretty impressed with the xtc ones, not as much with the uber.
I was mostly interested in the uber pedal, first plugged it into a JCM800 2204 with soldano 2x12 open back with eminence legends with an EVH wolfgang. With the gain maxed, volume maxed (on pedal), and boost on it still wasn't as much gain as my friends uberschall. The knobs were still very interactive like the real amp but just wasn't very inspiring sounding. It was very high gain but sounded like a pedal. So after a few minutes of tweaking I tried running it through a Mesa triple rectifier with a mesa recto 4x12. Set the master volume higher than the channel volume and kept the amp EQ around 5 starting out. That was MUCH better. The pedal sounded thicker, meaner, higher gain, and clearer. It started to resemble a real uber and not so much a wannabe pedal.
Overall I still wasn't fully satisfied, didn't really cure any GAS I've had for an uber. While it sounded good, but not great, I'll have to spend more time with it with my guitars and my amps... before I can really make a full judgement.

Now for the XTC pedals, these were great. I was interested in them but more just curious instead of looking to buy one. The were much easier to get a good sound and the red almost had the amount of gain the uber had, but very different. All the switches make pretty noticeable changes as well as just turning knobs. The red was a nice higher gain sound, tight but thick but had the ability to do from light blues to metal. Just like the other two, on this one the knobs and switches make a big difference, particularly the tight/mellow/full switch. On tight its as it describes, very tight. Didn't really mess with mellow, but on full it instantly fills the room and sounds twice it's size. The blue was much lower gain. At first someone asked if the pedal was even on. I had to really turn the pedal volume and gain up to get some breakup, but when it did it was awesome. Very creamy and marshall-ish sounding.

All pedals clean up great, even the uber. With the gain, volume, and boost maxed you can still roll the guitar volume down and get a better clean than say from a 5150. So IMO the two XTC's are totally worth the money, but the uber needs another sit down before I can really decide.

Steinmetzify":2of1oz1r said:
Nice dude. Thanks for the review. Was wondering about the Uber.

Yeah I'm either going to buy it and either keep or return it, or I'll try to get it on loan first. I really want to like it so I'm going to keep high hopes. $250 for the pedal sure as hell beats $2500 for the real thing, that is if it's a good substitute.

That's what I was thinking. I thought it sounded good in the demo but haven't played one. I figured for under a grand I could get all three and have the best of the Bogners in a chain, but I guess we'll see.

Trying an Uber pedal theough an open back cab with the awful Eminence Legend speakers probably have a whole lote more to do with your impression than you even know. Try a closed back 2X12 with V30s or Greenbacks and you will get a better idea.

tonedog":28e4wvea said:
Trying an Uber pedal theough an open back cab with the awful Eminence Legend speakers probably have a whole lote more to do with your impression than you even know. Try a closed back 2X12 with V30s or Greenbacks and you will get a better idea.

oh definitely, that was my first thought, which was why I tried it through a recto 4x12 afterwards. Much better but still not there. I'm going to give it some time today through many different amps/cabs and see if it'll tickle my fancy. :LOL: :LOL: But the big test will be how my Mark III bonds with it. I'm wondering if the bogner pedal or the Line6 HD's gets closer to the real uber tone.

Cool, I would like to try the xtc versions through my JCM 800. :thumbsup:

I assumed the Uberschall model would be seething with distortion but not so?

megaboogie":1ocd7g0u said:
Where are you trying the pedals from? it it from a store?

I work at GC down in Tampa, so I'm trying them on break. Thinking about taking home the uber today for some more one on one time. Tried it again today. Still doesn't have the gain I'd like, I don't play with heaps of gain but it's nice to have it if wanted. I played it through an eleven rack with an xtc model on clean with the cab bypassed into a real recto 4x12, also tried it with a twin reverb model. Messed with the settings a bit to try and get a neutral tone. The Fender was very bright and thin compared to the thick and darker bogner sim. Then went back to the triple rectifier. The pedal reacts very differently to different amps, like the amount of gain and how drastic the EQ on the pedal is changes quite a bit depending on the amp.
But so back to the triple rectifier again. I noticed as well how big a difference it makes if you mess with the dual volumes on a master volume amp. Slight changes between channel volume and master volume, or channel volume and channel gain/pre volume made quite a difference as well. Having a higher master and lower gain made it thinner and more like a nice pedal. Having the master a little lower but the gain right before breakup thickened the tone and smoothed it out a bit, sounded more like amp instead of a pedal. This was all at low volumes so still not sure how drastic all this is at high volumes.
Lastly I tried boosting the pedal with a TS9. :LOL: :LOL: I was happily surprised with the results. Like it should, it increased the gain, focused the sound, and tightened the low end. But what was surprising about it was how it didn't get mushy, muddy, fizzy, or over compressed like what normally happens when you use 2 drive pedals together. Nope, this stayed clean and clear, just tightened and focused the tone. Actually sounded like boosting a high gain amp instead of boosting a high gain pedal. Now I did deactivate the boost switch so it was just the distortion, when both distortion, boost, and the TS9 were on it was too much, lots of noise and starting compressing. Still usable but too much for me.

But yes the red one is great, by far the most versatile but unfortunately not what I'm looking for.

Shiny_Surface":1ce645ke said:
I assumed the Uberschall model would be seething with distortion but not so?

Yeah, it does have a bit of gain but dimed it's not near a real uber. Can't comment on how big a difference since I couldn't A/B and I don't play an uber regularly, but I could just tell instantly that it's lacking a bit.

Now I really hope I stumble across some hidden trim pots inside. :rock:

Woah, so it's already available at GC even in my local area too all three of them!
Thanks man, I am going tonight to try them all.
If uber turns out to be not my thing I can cancel my preorder.

megaboogie":2r1zo33m said:
Woah, so it's already available at GC even in my local area too all three of them!
Thanks man, I am going tonight to try them all.
If uber turns out to be not my thing I can cancel my preorder.

Yeah I was excited as shit too.

Back