So whats special about Suhr guitars? Never played one.

Adambomb

Ok, so it takes more than popularity for me to really enjoy and dig any instrument or piece of gear. But I've never seen a guitar played more by pro's and regular players than I've seen people playing Suhr guitars, except Gibson and Fender or course. They have a shop in Nashville thats got a few and was wanting to play some Suhrs in a couple weeks. Now I know that with Gibson you gotta find the "right" one cause they are a little inconsistent. Are Suhrs like PRS and all pretty much top qualiy construction and tone?

I know what some will say... "Just play one and find out for yourself"... but thats kind of hard to do when you live far away from the nearest dealer. I know they make a Modern and a Strat type, and they probably differ quite a bit.
When I first seen their guitars I just thought they were pretty with nice maple tops and well constructed, but since so many touring pros and session players own them, they must have a great tone.

So these might be some stupid questions but I have a few.

*Are they versitlie guitars where you can get fat Les Paul tones and clean twangy Strat tones?
*Whats the average neck profile on a Suhr? or do they have options like PRS?
*In your opinion, what makes them great guitars?
" Does a Suhr sound similar to a PRS? and if you think they are better, why?
"I play everything from classic rock, blues, metal, and hard rock... Whats a good versatile model for these styles?
(Looks like the Classic TS would do about any style of music)

You don't have to answer all my questions, but if you could give me some first hand Suhr "players" prospective on how these beauties feel, play, and sound.. I would really appreciate it since I'm interested in playing some, but will be awhile before I get a chance to get to a dealer. Thanks

Check around the Suhr website for starters. They have the Modern, Standard, Classic S and Classic T models to compare. (and the TS as well).
There are tons of YouTube videos to listen to them in action, listen for differences. There are pages on woods, pickups etc., those are worth checking out.

ALOT of options as far as neck sizes and radius. I personally don't think they sound like PRS, Suhrs sound much more open, more clarity IMO.

Find out the neck dimensions of what you're currently playing, it'll help when comparing neck specs on Suhrs. They do thin all the way up to super fat.

The neck finish feels like natural wood, while many PRS I've tried seemed like it had too much thick finish on it.

JDouglee":1cyvdvtp said:
Check around the Suhr website for starters. They have the Modern, Standard, Classic S and Classic T models to compare. (and the TS as well).
There are tons of YouTube videos to listen to them in action, listen for differences. There are pages on woods, pickups etc., those are worth checking out.

ALOT of options as far as neck sizes and radius. I personally don't think they sound like PRS, Suhrs sound much more open, more clarity IMO.

Find out the neck dimensions of what you're currently playing, it'll help when comparing neck specs on Suhrs. They do thin all the way up to super fat.

The neck finish feels like natural wood, while many PRS I've tried seemed like it had too much thick finish on it.

Yea I've checked all the website out. I've seen many vids. I'm wanting to hear from YOU guys,,, the owners that love em. I figured this thread would be BLOWN up with passion for the Suhr guitar. OR...maybe they are off somewhere too busy playing their Suhr to get on the net..? haha.

Aw cool, glad they do super fat. I'm a medium to fat neck guy. They sure remind me of PRS Guitars. I have one with the first gold 57/08's pickups, 25th Anniversary and would like to compare it to a Suhr. Surprised to see they are mostly all bolt on necks.

Three biggest things for me:

1. Build Quality. Ever since I got my Modern, I have sold all my other guitars. My guitar sounds like a piano when unplugged. I mean the sustain on notes when unplugged brings a smile to my face. The guitar rarely, if ever, goes out of tune and I don't even have one of the baked necks.

2. Endless amounts of options to build your dream guitar...if you can think it, they can do it.

3. Customer service: they will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. They once contacted me to let me know that the finish on my guitar did not come out on par with their standards. They redid it...we can all think of manufacturers that would willingly send you the flawed instrument.

They really are great guitars.
The standard models are built in the same factory, and by the same guys, as the custom shop orders, and they are very consistent in their QC. I have one and can't fault it, plus I've played a few others and they all felt great, sounded great, and no QC issues to speak of.
Whether you jive with them, well there's only one way to find out since that is very subjective. But as far as well made guitars go, these are up there.

ok thanks guys. Just the info and knowledge I was looking for.

Now... the debate on trading my PRS in for a Suhr. I'll just have to wait and try a couple out. I see that some are REALLY expensive. Not looking for exotic expensive woods, just a good solid guitar with good tonal options.

Everyone has their own preference but IMO, if you're a guy who can appreciate a well made guitar, that has fit, finish, tone, playability and consistent from one to the next, you can't not love a Suhr guitar. I live in NY and the seasons bring changes in temp, humidity etc. I have 2 Moderns that I ordered new from Indoor Storm in 2008 and 2009 and I'm telling you, I've never touched the truss rod on either. Their customer service is second to none as well. I've never played an Anderson and until this past weekend had never even touched a PRS. Why? Because back in 2008 when I played my first Suhr at The Music Zoo, I knew I found what was perfect for me and so I stopped looking. That day, I went home and put my 3 Carvins and 4 EBMMs on eBay and began spec'ing out 2 Moderns. I'm 100% sure that Anderson, PRS and many others make amazing instruments btw. So go play those and see if one of them speak to you.

Good luck.

Dave

I own a 2010 PRS Custom 24 25th Anniversary with 57/08 also and a Suhr Modern Custom. I ordered my Suhr Modern Custom with a hipshot hard tail, Pau ferro neck with profile .82-.87 (This is one step thicker than the Guthrie Govan neck size). Mahogany with 3/4 carved maple top SS frets. The guitar has remarkable play-ability and sound. It sort of has a high def articulation quality or Zing. The sustain is ridiculous, bolt on neck or not. They do make set necks for custom order. Custom orders will cost more than the models you see on the web site, Pro series guitars are cheaper and of the same quality but with a predefined set of specs.

Special?... I've played dozens and dozens of Suhr's. They give me this weird feeling in my stomach. Some people rave about them. Quality -wise, they're great guitars. As far as playability goes and overall tonality, I've never gelled with Surh with maybe the exception being the Reb Beach model. I just don't like them. That's me. Their amps however are another story. If you're looking or thinking about a Suhr, I'd highly recommend something else like a Tom Anderson, Tyler, Charvel, or something in that vein.

the rossness":2yjbhz91 said:
Special?... I've played dozens and dozens of Suhr's. They give me this weird feeling in my stomach. Some people rave about them. Quality -wise, they're great guitars. As far as playability goes and overall tonality, I've never gelled with Surh with maybe the exception being the Reb Beach model. I just don't like them. That's me. Their amps however are another story. If you're looking or thinking about a Suhr, I'd highly recommend something else like a Tom Anderson, Tyler, Charvel, or something in that vein.

Everyones got an opinion. But I couldn't disagree more. I've owned Anderson, Tyler and charvels along with PRS, custom shop gibson and fender and I would take my Suhrs over all of them. In fact I would take my suhrs over anything out there. They fit me. Just an outstanding guitar. Just my 2 cents.

jcm800x4":3plbwifp said:
the rossness":3plbwifp said:

Everyones got an opinion. But I couldn't disagree more. I've owned Anderson, Tyler and charvels along with PRS, custom shop gibson and fender and I would take my Suhrs over all of them. In fact I would take my suhrs over anything out there. They fit me. Just an outstanding guitar. Just my 2 cents.

This.

Depends on what your looking for. The decision is more difficult when shopping for a 22 fret guitar. Suhr can make you something more to your spec than Anderson or tyler. And realistically why would you even order a custom charvel at that wait time? For me the Suhr Modern is the best 24 fret guitar on the market. If you grew up playing 22 fret guitars and want to make the switch it is painless while other designs have not felt that way to me. The biggest selling point besides all of the custom options you can get is the modern elliptical neck. It's not flat, it's not round, and you can play it in classical position or with your thumb around the neck. To me its the best neck profile i have ever played. I can play for hours and i feel no discomfort. If you are looking at a custom suhr i would recommend the gg profile with the 10-14 or straight 14 radius.

My suhr Modern has super low action and super low amount of neck relief as well. My action is 4/64 at the last fret and my neck relief is set at .05" at the 7th fret which feels amazing. I get very little buzz unless im really digging in while playing distortion. I really really like the pickups suhr comes with as well. The shh+ and the ssv for the neck are just perfect going through my 5150 III. They tuned really well for any style of music they are just so versatile. I can just set everything on my amp and noon and its just perfect.

The biggest thing for me is that they are so balanced, sound massive and sustain for a very long time. The options, etc. are the gravy.

John Suhr makes a really good guitar. Lots of options...great customer service...and excellent quality and playability. IMO, they compare mostly with Anderson Guitars...both do much of the same things the same way. I prefer Tylers for that "superstrat" vibe, and Ron Thorn makes a great strat with quality and playability that is second to none.

xzyryabx":osymok6p said:
They really are great guitars.
The standard models are built in the same factory, and by the same guys, as the custom shop orders, and they are very consistent in their QC. I have one and can't fault it, plus I've played a few others and they all felt great, sounded great, and no QC issues to speak of.
Whether you jive with them, well there's only one way to find out since that is very subjective. But as far as well made guitars go, these are up there.
the Standard model has nothing to do with whether it's a custom shop or not. It's simply a model. The "pro series" indicated non custom shop. You can get a custom standard same as you can a custom modern. Lots of
Custom option for the standard model.

Ok, so it takes more than popularity for me to really enjoy and dig any instrument or piece of gear. But I've never seen a guitar played more by pro's and regular players than I've seen people playing Suhr guitars, except Gibson and Fender or course. They have a shop in Nashville thats got a few and was wanting to play some Suhrs in a couple weeks. Now I know that with Gibson you gotta find the "right" one cause they are a little inconsistent. Are Suhrs like PRS and all pretty much top qualiy construction and tone?

I know what some will say... "Just play one and find out for yourself"... but thats kind of hard to do when you live far away from the nearest dealer. I know they make a Modern and a Strat type, and they probably differ quite a bit.
When I first seen their guitars I just thought they were pretty with nice maple tops and well constructed, but since so many touring pros and session players own them, they must have a great tone.

So these might be some stupid questions but I have a few.

*Are they versitlie guitars where you can get fat Les Paul tones and clean twangy Strat tones?
"I play everything from classic rock, blues, metal, and hard rock... Whats a good versatile model for these styles?

You don't have to answer all my questions, but if you could give me some first hand Suhr "players" prospective on how these beauties feel, play, and sound.. I would really appreciate it since I'm interested in playing some, but will be awhile before I get a chance to get to a dealer. Thanks
I have a Suhr Classic, wish I had gotten the Pete Thorn model instead, as it would be more of a LP/Strat cross. Mine is a pretty straight-up Strat, but I will give the questions I can a shot, especially since PRS seems to be your main point of comparison, as it is mine.

I will say yes (even though I have the Classic). With the HSS and the Thornbucker in the bridge, I am pretty happy with the range of tones it offers.

I think they have a profile for the Classic, one for the Modern, but am not 100%. The carve on my classic is perfect, on the Standard on my 88 CU24 comes close. It is a roasted maple neck, and is my favorite neck to play.

The build quality is on par with PRS at their very best. It plays well, sounds great, it has no flaws. I believe the neck is Pleked, and it is perfect.

Even as a PRS fan, I don't really think they have a *sound*, I think it is part of their mainstream appeal. Mine sounds a lot like a very good Strat.

I would be 100% at home at any style with this guitar. I might lock the trem depending on tuning. But the Standard takes the cake here as far as I understand. That is your LP/Strat.

Last edited:
My 2015 fender American standard played better/ sounded better side by side than 3 suhrs I had sent to my house from humbucker music.

Cost me 350 bucks in shipping and restock fees if i remember correctly.

Still have that 2015 standard.

Back