So With Shitty YT Demos Being A Current Hot Topic Right Now...

PurityS.L.G

Who are your favorite YT demonstrators/personalities?

For me;
1. Andy Martin - Dude still kills it after all of these years and knows EXACTLY the proper songs to pick and play for the pedal at hand, no matter what style it calls for.
2. Pete Thorn - A total pro through and through. Not much else to say about his excellence.
3. Bill Ruppert (EHX) - Probably the only direct manufacturer demos that are worth a shit
4. Ola Englund - He may sound the same in all of demos, but he knows how to dial in a great modern metal tone for us metal heads and give an honest representation.
5. Brett Kingman - Great player. Great tones. Wide selection of gear choices he demos from cheap to expensive and everything in between.

I do feel like I can make a decent decision about whether or not I need any piece of gear after a Thorn demo. I like when he loops a playback section to sweep each knob through its full range to hear what it actually does to the tone.

I could listen to Al Estrada play all day.

I like a lot of them, kind of rotates. Here are some I watch pretty regularly:
- Ben Eller
- Know Your Gear, Philip McKnight
- Produce Like A Pro, Warren Huart
- Leon Todd
- Kohlekeller Studio

I also like Peter Thorn, Wampler pedals, SpectreStudios, GearGods, Steve Terriberry, Anderson’s and others. There’s not very many I don’t like, probably just the EytschPi42 guy bugs the shit out of me, can’t really watch him more than 30 secs.

I’ll watch a bunch of others when I’m researching specific gear and searching, whoever comes up on the search.

I like a lot of them, kind of rotates. Here are some I watch pretty regularly:
- Ben Eller
- Know Your Gear, Philip McKnight
- Produce Like A Pro, Warren Huart
- Leon Todd
- Kohlekeller Studio

I also like Peter Thorn, Wampler pedals, SpectreStudios, GearGods, Steve Terriberry, Anderson’s and others. There’s not very many I don’t like, probably just the EytschPi42 guy bugs the shit out of me, can’t really watch him more than 30 secs.

I’ll watch a bunch of others when I’m researching specific gear and searching, whoever comes up on the search.

Eytschp412 is unbearable. Not a fan of Stevie T either. I can’t stand the dudes who make EVeRy AMP THEY PLAY SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME, which is truly a momentous feat in itself.

I like Pete Thorn. I really dig Shawn Tubbs, he is a monster player, whoa!! I love Troy Grady and cracking the code videos, very clever videos and his website also. Michael Nielsen, of the big hairy guitars channel has some great videos.

Yea I can't stand the fully produced " in the mix demos"
Another of those guys make every amp sound the same. I'd rather an in the room with a cellphone demo
Agreed. I always wonder why they do videos in fully produced music productions all the time for a gear review. I understand and appreciate them showing it in a full mix briefly, it helps. But not always. It seems like the people watching are primarily Guitars players wanting to hear that piece of gear as much as possible. When I’m searching for a particular pedal or an amp and start a video and it’s in a fully produced mix, I usually just exit and move on.

Who are your favorite YT demonstrators/personalities?

For me;
1. Andy Martin - Dude still kills it after all of these years and knows EXACTLY the proper songs to pick and play for the pedal at hand, no matter what style it calls for.
+1 for Andy! He's the first person I look for when I'm looking at pedals to buy.

I can honestly say I'll appreciate the efforts of almost literally anybody who gives enough of a damn to record their amps with carefully selected IR's or legitimately mic'd cabs as opposed to some random cellphone placed 15 feet away from the cab with the mic pointed down at a tile floor or against the table the phone is placed on...

...because you can't record sweetass shots of yourself pretending to be a guitar hero melting face in your basement without pointing the mic straight down due to phone design. And we all know that recording video of yourself shredding to Build Your BrandⓇ online is obviously WAY more important than putting out a demo that could actually be useful or informative for even a single other person.

So basically, to me, cellphone clips are not worth watching.

And just to go ahead and address the most obvious counter, no, I don't think they sound anything like the amp "in the room." They sound like an amp being recorded by a cheap 90's camcorder that is constantly shifting its own internal compression settings to deal with the drastic changes in volume. They are truly worthless.

Having said that, the YT guys I pay the most attention to these days are Ola, Pete Thorn, Rabea, Euge Valovirta, Tim Pierce, Shawn Tubbs, Leon Todd, Kyle Bull, and Paul Davids, maybe a couple others.

Last edited:
I don't really like a ton of YouTube guys. None of them really cover my genre interests.

I do like the TPS guys, despite them not being relevant music wise, I think their nice dudes and knowledgeable about what they know.

I would say instead of criticism, man up and start your own YouTube channel in a fashion you think one should be.
It’s easy to talk harder to walk. I will give any of the channels props for effort. Having said that some are just money whores looking to promo gear. They are required to disclose if its a paid endorsement but that doesn’t always mean it’s a honest review.
Some guys better players some more cult of personality type channels.
With computers and software a amp review means nothing. IR’s etc.
The best are either a phone recording or microphone recording with nothing in between the speakers and the microphone.
The rest can be doctored.

Back