Soldano SLO or Soldano Avenger

i owned a couple of the slo100 and i also had a avenger and even though i paid more for the slo100 i didnt care about how much it cost, i just liked the tone better of the avenger and i owned it for over a year, i kept my slo100 for 6 months.

The Avenger is a cool amp... it just shouldn't be marketed as a "SLO lead channel only clone"... because it simply isn't. It's too different. It's darker, has more bass, and isn't as bright and cutting as the SLO. The Avenger has slightly more lower mids to its voicing. The circuit, parts, transformers, are all very different from the SLO as well. The Avenger is Soldano's more modern interpretation of the SLO lead tone... that's been tweaked a bit.

The Avenger is the one amp I had owned the longest. I had it for around 6 years. It was the EL34 version. Old school billet front grill, Mercury Magnetics transformers. Damnit! I should not have sold it. :doh:

I am glad to see this post it is something that I wanted to know as well.

How about the new hot rod 100"s with the depth mod these amps look killer.

There's a reason one is more expensive than the other. Not in the rocket scientist territory to grasp.

Then again, I would rather my modded Marshall's than any of the more expensive iron sitting in the cave. I have been trying to dial in a new amp for over a week, and it just isn't happening for me. Gave up and plugged into my Jose yesterday with immediate joy and I started break dancing and moonwalking in the man cave.

It's all up to you and more of a personal thing, rather than public opinion.

Steve

steve_k":3g8rbxx0 said:
There's a reason one is more expensive than the other. Not in the rocket scientist territory to grasp.

Then again, I would rather my modded Marshall's than any of the more expensive iron sitting in the cave. I have been trying to dial in a new amp for over a week, and it just isn't happening for me.Gave up and plugged into my Jose yesterday with immediate joy and I started break dancing and moonwalking in the man cave.

It's all up to you and more of a personal thing, rather than public opinion.

Steve

What amp do you speak of?

The extra expense in this case, the name SLO, which is just like GIBSON has nothing to do with it.

Just like the age old question...." Is X guitar metal?"

IT is not the guitar that is metal........................................... ;)

SLO is a cool amp, no doubt about it but the avenger used at 1/3 the cost???

Shit I did not have to call my Fidelity rep to figure that out.

Digital Jams":388bvgxg said:
The extra expense in this case, the name SLO, which is just like GIBSON has nothing to do with it.

Just like the age old question...." Is X guitar metal?"

IT is not the guitar that is metal........................................... ;)

SLO is a cool amp, no doubt about it but the avenger used at 1/3 the cost???

Shit I did not have to call my Fidelity rep to figure that out.

This will be a useless conversation, like arguing with your wife about whether you will buy the symbols BMW or KIA. They will both get you around the block, but there are a few differences. If the man wants a used $1000 amp over a used $3000 amp from Soldano, he should go get it and be happy. They certainly will not be the same. Everyone seems to have all the answers based on cost. You are astute enough with quality gear to figure out that surely there must a few differences in components and build that would allow Soldano to build a premium amp and a budget version of the same amp. It is a price point to attract different buyers and market. If your Fidelity Rep knows his gear, he could advise on that one.

Steve

My rep would tell me bottom line is key :LOL: :LOL: My 401 agrees with me :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Steve if you just bought a new one, they are great amps but I have heard the Avenger in capable hands and it kills. I would love to own one but the cost is just too much.

Wizard of Ozz":2p2e5num said:
The Avenger is a cool amp... it just shouldn't be marketed as a "SLO lead channel only clone"... because it simply isn't. It's too different. It's darker, has more bass, and isn't as bright and cutting as the SLO. The Avenger has slightly more lower mids to its voicing. The circuit, parts, transformers, are all very different from the SLO as well. The Avenger is Soldano's more modern interpretation of the SLO lead tone... that's been tweaked a bit.

That's why I've always preferred the Avenger. :thumbsup:

I have a hot rod, will own a slo one of these days. but you can pick up hot rods and avengers all day on ebay for around 1000/1300. they are great amps.

I think I'd prefer the Avenger. The SLO is a classic, but devoid of low mids and very bright...The depth mod compensates, but does something to the bass that I didn't like. Would've liked to have tried a lower value pot on depth mod of the SLO I had, to target the lower midrange more effectively. Close, but no cigar for me.

Back