Soldano SLO or Soldano Avenger

fuzzyguitars":2ylilr6j said:
i think the slo is a lot quieter in terms of hiss and hi gain noise.

True that. My SLO is very quiet. Hiss is very low, even at high volume. No need for noise-gate. All the other high-gainers I tried so far, Mesa Dual Recto, Bogner Ectasy, 5150, Engl etc. were noticeably noisier. :thumbsup:

My Avenger is Super Quiet. I LOVE THAT AMP!!! I just wish i had more time to play it. I have it housed in a Head/Rack Case with the 6 space rack on top.

Interesting that this came back up.
It seems the prices of the Avenger wasn't affected like the other amps by new of Mike's retirement.
Is the Avenger still recognizable as the Soldano feel and sound?
Or is it so far off that it's more like a Jet City?

LPMojoGL":355bke3t said:
Interesting that this came back up.
It seems the prices of the Avenger wasn't affected like the other amps by new of Mike's retirement.
Is the Avenger still recognizable as the Soldano feel and sound?
Or is it so far off that it's more like a Jet City?

I think the Avenger is simply a Variation of the Soldano Sound. A lot of people have said the Tranny's make a difference but i've played every tranny version of the Avenger & noticed NO difference in sound/tone.

Mike was kind enough when my wife bought mine for me, to spend almost an hour on the phone talking about the different tranny versions & he said repeatedly that for the Avenger it did not make much difference.

Audible difference between Avenger and SLO is actually due to the master volume circuitry, not the transformers.

The SLO has two 1M master pots. One is for normal channel and the other is for overdrive channel. The tone stack sees them both wired together in parallel at all times, so total load on the tone stack is 500K ohms.

The Avenger has a single 1M master pot, so total load on tone stack is 1M ohms.

Beam Tetrode":2tc602b3 said:
Audible difference between Avenger and SLO is actually due to the master volume circuitry, not the transformers.

The SLO has two 1M master pots. One is for normal channel and the other is for overdrive channel. The tone stack sees them both wired together in parallel at all times, so total load on the tone stack is 500K ohms.

That's good info to know, Make sure to tell that to all the people who told me that the transformers make a huge difference in tone.

No no no guys, it's the magical iron sourced from the mystical mines of Moria by dwarves and elves and shit.

Beam Tetrode":2l2toy0u said:

Interesting. Is that what makes the Avenger seem darker? Does it impact the feel of the attack. That's something I love about the SLO, the way it feels. Some folks say it's a slow responder, but I feel like I can pick faster with it.
Wonder what other circuit differences there are.

No idea if this is accurate or not. But here's the schematic for one version of the Avenger.

soldano-avenger-power-supply-output-section-1.jpg

soldano-avenger-2-preamp.jpg

2 things I notice right off the bat is C3 should be .0022uF and the bright cap should be 1000p. Everything else other than the gain and MV pot is the same. I can see why the avenger is darker.

BrentSP":1hppd57q said:
2 things I notice right off the bat is C3 should be .0022uF and the bright cap should be 1000p. Everything else other than the gain and MV pot is the same. I can see why the avenger is darker.

I'm completely ok with Darker. My Avenger sounds massive. It's kinda like a JCM 800 & A Recto Made the Sexy time & a bastard son was born.

Detroit1973":2fmvhsn6 said:
BrentSP":2fmvhsn6 said:

I'm completely ok with Darker. My Avenger sounds massive. It's kinda like a JCM 800 & A Recto Made the Sexy time & a bastard son was born.

:LOL: :LOL: Filthy bastard, it is. Seems like a lot of great records were made with a Marshall and Recto combined. Tool Aenima and SuperUnkown come to mind.

LPMojoGL":1czz1dvd said:
Detroit1973":1czz1dvd said:
BrentSP":1czz1dvd said:

:LOL: :LOL: Filthy bastard, it is. Seems like a lot of great records were made with a Marshall and Recto combined. Tool Aenima and SuperUnkown come to mind.

I should correct that to say a Boosted JCM800 & A Recto. My Avenger just sounds so good.

ceremony5150":2b82koqq said:
Has anytome tried a Avenger and SlO together? Seems like it would be cool to have a mix of the upper and lower mids

If I want added low mids in the SLO I will turn up the depth a little bit. I tend to run the mids high as well. Volume between 4 and 7 and it really comes alive.

Never played an SLO, but I wish I didn't sell my Avenger. Had a $500 profit on it (wasn't aiming for that, just got lucky), even still I'd rather it were still here.

Schematic of the avenger is incorrect. No LDR's, power amp filtering is incorrect, PI caps are wrong along with other things.

jasonP":wu7qwgnh said:
Schematic of the avenger is incorrect. No LDR's, power amp filtering is incorrect, PI caps are wrong along with other things.

Is there one that's correct floating around somewhere?

Back