Song with definitive Tri Axis tone

Damn I know it. I actually walked out of the DT show the last time I saw them. Only time in my entire life I did that at a concert. So boring.

The Dregs had opened, and they were amazing. Morse's solo spot was in a similar space to Petrucci's '93 solo, but on an even higher level. Very melodic and went on a journey. Too bad the DT guys weren't listening anymore.

I love Steve Morse. What a monster player.

Have you seen that Grady video where it breaks down his arpeggio picking?

This quote is a microcosm of why I think dream theater is a terrible band full of people who can't write music 🤣

Their technical skills are undeniable, certainly, but Jesus Christ man
To me James vocals got stale and boring . I love all the riff salad lol fr

Hell ya . My friend wants me to buy his someday . They symptom tone kicks ass . Great info man
Cool. I've been down these rabbit holes before. FYI, the Recto mode is terrible (Lead I Red). I mean like completely unusable. BUT, one thing which will help to get that Symptom tone is to use the old school Recto cabinets coupled with the Triaxis Mark sounds. The tall/oversized ones. They will shift the mids and give you the kong on the low end. Again, some people really hate them for these exact reasons. What can I say, everyone's looking for something. Use a good poweramp with a lot of headroom. I used a 2:90. Or go for a Strategy 400. Be like Andreas and go 500 lol. These three elements together and some experimenting with pickups will get you the sounds on the record. Maybe even better than the record if you ditch the internal eq on the Triaxis (Dynamic Voice - the weak link) and use any of the more modern and superior eq offerings. There are a lot of good pedal and rack choices now.

Last edited:
I love Steve Morse. What a monster player.

Have you seen that Grady video where it breaks down his arpeggio picking?
No I hadn't. Thank you very much for the tip, will check it out. I grew up watching his instructional videos and reading his columns, and appreciated he was trying to help us be better musicians rather than guitarists. I don't think it worked on me, but I'm thankful for the effort lol.

On my way walking out of that DT show I saw Steve sitting at the bar next to the door. I really didn't want to bother him with guitar nerd stuff, even though I had a zillion burning questions, so we talked airplanes for a few minutes, I thanked him for taking the extra time to teach and offered I was glad he got the Deep Purple gig if only to make Yngwie mad(er). Steve is a class act.

Cool. I've been down these rabbit holes before. FYI, the Recto mode is terrible (Lead I Red). I mean like completely unusable. BUT, one thing which will help to get that Symptom tone is to use the old school Recto cabinets coupled with the Triaxis Mark sounds. The tall/oversized ones. They will shift the mids and give you the kong on the low end. Again, some people really hate them for these exact reasons. What can I say, everyone's looking for something. Use a good poweramp with a lot of headroom. I used a 2:90. Or go for a Strategy 400. Be like Andreas and go 500 lol. These three elements together and some experimenting with pickups will get you the sounds on the record. Maybe even better than the record if you ditch the internal eq on the Triaxis (Dynamic Voice - the weak link) and use any of the more modern and superior eq offerings. There are a lot of good pedal and rack choices now.
The Lead 1 Red differs from version to version of the Triaxis. V1 had a brit mode, V2 had the Recto mode and V2.1 had the Recto/Fat mode that most people consider as useless. The Recto non-Fat mode is actually quite nice.

Didn´t both Hetfield and Petrucci use outboard EQs with their Triaxises? The dynamic voice thing didn't do it all for me, so I'm not surprised if that was the case. It has great base tones, though! If I ever get another I would probably set up a parametric with it.

But on another note, the Triaxis used to be the preamp with most excuses going for it... as soon someone said they didn't like it people chimed in with extremely precise circumstances where it sounds good, and that it can't be expected to sound good outside that zone. Can't remember anything else getting that sort of leeway on a daily basis 😄

Check out Some of James Labrie's solo stuff. Italian guitarist named Marco Sfogli used and recorded with a Triaxis. I dont remember if he used it on all the albums but the 1st album for sure. Hes also a monster player!

The versions that Petrucci and Romeo used were both non Phat mod units. I had Mikes for months and when I bought my own it sounded nothing like his. Thats when I researched about the different boards that were used. You can have the Phat mod reversed {which is what I did}, and it wasnt that much work involved at all. I have to ask him if he still has it.

Petruccis live rig was all Triaxis for Images and Words when they were in Japan. I had Mark Snyder building me some custom stuff for my rig and had the opportunity to play thru Petruccis rig at Marks house. It sounded great but wasnt anything you couldnt buy and get the same tones out of.
Mark was a whiz at programming and could really get some awesome sounds from the PCM70 and that right there made all the difference. Shame hes not more involved today but he really loves his wine vineyards. LOL

had v2 non phat

rhythm yellow and lead II yellow were where it was at for me. lead II green for smoother solo tones too.

red I and II were fun to have around but the dynamic voice held those back too much from the actual raw amp tones.

Didn´t both Hetfield and Petrucci use outboard EQs with their Triaxises? The dynamic voice thing didn't do it all for me, so I'm not surprised if that was the case. It has great base tones, though! If I ever get another I would probably set up a parametric with it.

But on another note, the Triaxis used to be the preamp with most excuses going for it... as soon someone said they didn't like it people chimed in with extremely precise circumstances where it sounds good, and that it can't be expected to sound good outside that zone. Can't remember anything else getting that sort of leeway on a daily basis 😄
Yes they use /used custom Mesa 5 band eqs. A few guys here had them in the last. Psycodave comes to mind. I think those dial channel units went for $3K.

Back