Speakers Tried: Liked/Disliked

Junk Yard Dog

I'm posting a lot, I know. 50w Comp Fully Loaded on the way. I have a Friedman 2x12 V30/CBH75 cab, that I LOVE because it's the best cab 2x12 I've had that is full sounding and somehow is great a taming bright/spikey speakers. I had a Bogner OS 2x12 at the same time and the Bogner was noticably brighter with the same speaker combo.

Anyway, this will be my second Splawn attempt. It's coming with 6CA7's and hope it's biased right for those. I'm somewhat worried the V30s/H75s may be too much mids and bright, so thinking to try to mix a Redback in there somehow.

Seeing what you guys think? Anyone try a Redback? Or a V30/CBH75 mix?

I've gone through a bunch of speakers, listed below with my observations (I tried all of these at rehearsal so at band volume)
My band does hard rock from the 70's and 80's, Aerosmith, Led Zep Allman Bros, Pat Travers, Van Halen, Foreigner, Bad Finger, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy , the Cars ETC.
We're also working up a new set , STP, AIC, Foo fighters, more 90's /2000's which requires a less mid heavy tone and more gain, and so far no problem, an MXR 10 band in the loop really helps me shape the awesome "base" tone this head has close enough for what I need.

first edition Gen1 G12T-75's (the vented ones) -- surprisingly pretty good, the one thing I don't like about these is they sound quite harsh straight on as compared to off axis. lacking the lower thick mids I like so they are on the shelf right now.

Mesa V30's - I know a lot of people hate V30's with Splawns but my 2X12 Recto cab sounded great for a tight "metal" tone

Creamback M-65's - I could not get along with these, I tried them in 2 different cabs, they have a mid tone to them that I think is boxy.
I tried and tried but ended up selling them.
My top 3 in reverse order.

UK Greenback 25 watters - These sound great, have all of the lower thick mids and creamy treble that my Splawn loves.
25 watt Small Blocks - These come in above the Greenbacks only because they sound very similar (I think they are Greenback clones)
but they have a tighter bottom end so they are a bit more versatile.

Scumback M-75/J75 mix.
My favorites, my Marshall 4X12 sounds amazing with these in them, I initially had the G12T-75's that it came with, in there and these are a major upgrade.

Last edited:
I've gone through a bunch of speakers, listed below with my observations (I tried all of these at rehearsal so at band volume)
My band does hard rock from the 70's and 80's, Aerosmith, Led Zep Allman Bros, Pat Travers, Van Halen, Foreigner, Bad Finger, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy , the Cars ETC.
We're also working up a new set , STP, AIC, Foo fighters, more 90's /2000's which requires a less mid heavy tone and more gain, and so far no problem, an MXR 10 band in the loop really helps me shape the awesome "base" tone this head has close enough for what I need.

first edition Gen1 G12T-75's (the vented ones) -- surprisingly pretty good, the one thing I don't like about these is they sound quite harsh straight on as compared to off axis. lacking the lower thick mids I like so they are on the shelf right now.

Mesa V30's - I know a lot of people hate V30's with Splawns but my 2X12 Recto cab sounded great for a tight "metal" tone

Creamback M-65's - I could not get along with these, I tried them in 2 different cabs, they have a mid tone to them that I think is boxy.
I tried and tried but ended up selling them.
My top 3 in reverse order.

UK Greenback 25 watters - These sound great, have all of the lower thick mids and creamy treble that my Splawn loves.
25 watt Small Blocks - These come in above the Greenbacks only because they sound very similar (I think they are Greenback clones)
but they have a tighter bottom end so they are a bit more versatile.

Scumback M-75/J75 mix.
My favorites, my Marshall 4X12 sounds amazing with these in them, I initially had the G12T-75's that it came with, in there and these are a major upgrade.

That's helpful. I may try an EQ in the loop first like your MXR 10band. Keep you posted. I won't be able to really test out the amp until my show this Saturday.

Perhaps a personal preference, but I love my Vintage 30s loaded Splawn 412 with my Nitro. Compliments the tone very well.

Front loaded cab with vented T75's actually works great, but not rear loaded with T75's. You have to dial the amp in for the cab and may have odd settings in comparison to other speakers but I am liking them a lot. My QR and PM are currently rigged in with that.

Smallblocks work the best for me overall. Especially with the Supersport. They are 'big' sounding and full despite the low wattage of the SS.

Mesa V30's is a no-go from my experience, but the normal British made V30's works better IMO.

K85's are great for me on the KT88 loaded heads, not my favorite for the EL34 as much. My Nitro is rigged into the K85's in this cab currently, and occasionally the Promod is too.

That's helpful. I may try an EQ in the loop first like your MXR 10band. Keep you posted. I won't be able to really test out the amp until my show this Saturday.
I brought back my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop, just boosting the 4K a bit, you don't need to do a lot but a little bit of tweaking can make quite a difference,

Regarding speakers, I like the Creamback 65/Greenback combo (65 in Street Rod combo and Greenie in the extension cab). The Creamback is indeed mid heavy but the edgier tone of the Greenback balances it nicely.

I have never liked V30's, haven't tried them in my Splawn but just too in your face in other rigs I've had them in, not my thing, works well for some.

G12H-30 mellower than a V30, if you want something with some more edge but not over the top this is a good compromise between the V30 and Greenback/Creamback

They get a lot of hate (because they're cheap and depending on the amp they sound cheap) but my Blackstar came with 70/80's and I bought the hype and replaced stock 70/80 with a Greenback but the Blackstar actually sounded better with the 70/80 to my ears. The 70/80 went back in. Depends on the amp I guess.

Liked:

Weber Legacy - My current favorite, like a M75/J75 mix
Blocks - love them, have them in my 4x12 Splawn cab
Older UK G12T-75's, white label, have these in my 6960a - great sound, better than the new versions
Celestion GB's - I played them a few times and liked them
G12-65's - I only played through them once but I remember liking them

Disliked:

Mesa V30s - Mesa 4x12, dark and murky, worst I'v heard with these amps
V30s - In my Bogner cab, wasn't terrible but didn't match the amp well
Newer G12T-75's - Marshall 1960a cabs, not bad but too bright and scooped for me
Man o Wars - I had these in my 6960a cab and hated them. Too loud and brash
Peavey Sheffields - 5150 cab, nuff said. Actually they are just ok, tolerable but not a choice I'd make

There's been a bunch of other cabs I've played through where I didn't know the speakers (Peaveys, Egnater, Traynors, Univox, Randalls, etc) and none of them sounded very good.

Last edited:
Back