Special (to me) Gower Killer Kali++

Wow dig the look!

It was a while and Many versions to get there. I knew I wanted to mix elements of mk1 (no chunky baffles) and mk2 (50/50 split of the front fascia) JMP headshells, with an offset style.

But the colour combo eluded me until I saw a custom boogie in baby/carolina blue with brown grill cloth.

Dunno why i wanted brushed chrome faceplates, but luckily it worked.

Because it was a Kali, it kind of put old 50s and 60s Chevys etc cruising down coast highways in my head.

Dan does have what he calls a simple clean option on his price list, however this one is blackface twin derived which is another option that wasn't on the price list at the time (might be now).

Obviously you can't crank the master too high because it's still a Superlead pattern power amp, so, breakup.

Forget about using it if you're diaing in his example NMV superlead settings.

But Its a grand clean channel. It's never going to be a full blackface clean, but it's got some sparkle fer Sure

From my POV, very. It's certainly doesnt need a bass cutting boost in front.

The feel knob affects the tightness, but also lowers the overall saturation at extreme (e.g. 0) settings.

You can compensate with the bright switches or the optional glass control which will bring more saturation back without bringing the low end in

We're talking about tweaks though. Nothing radical. I do keep meaning to set the feel to zero and dime the glass to see what happens.

The sat switch is another way to tighten things up, its sorta kinda like kicking in an SD1. A very fun thing is to use the low sat setting and stack it into a moderate setting of the violence mode.
Thanks for that, whilst I'm still very keen on a Splawn competition, its nice to have other flavours or options. Dan's stuff sounds superb.

Back