Splawn Nitro demo vid

carl roa

Hey Guys,

Just filmed a vid for the Nitro. What an awesome amp! Lot's of fun to play ... the amp has a great feel to it. And plenty of gain on tap. Was also playing my new Music Man JP7 BFR axe, which I also love..

Very nice playing but if I'm going to be honest I think the tone was less than inspiring. The high notes sounded ok but the lower notes and chords were harsh and cold.

Killer chops! But, tone is too tuned down and modern-muddy for my 80's tastes.

Maybe it's the fact your playing a seven string, and you're still learning the amp, but that sounds really loose, and somewhat fizzy/grainy.

I've enjoyed everything you've ever posted here, but I'd say based on just that video, you sounded much better with the Fortin stuff.

No Splawn hatred here; I love the Quickrod, but that just wasn't what I was expecting from the Nitro.

Geat chops :thumbsup:

How can we see the awesome green if the vid is in blue?? ;)

great playing Carl! :rock: I dont play a nitro but with my QR Ive been running my treble off and bumping up my mids and pres and getting some really good tones. A lot of Splawn guys are doing this with good results. I always had all my knobs around noon but really dig this treble off trick. You'd think it would kill the highs but it doesnt...Im not sure how to explain it :confused:

At any rate you certainly rock! :thumbsup: Looking forward to more vids for sure! :yes:

carl roa":3500i67j said:
Hey Guys,

Just filmed a vid for the Nitro. What an awesome amp! Lot's of fun to play ... the amp has a great feel to it. And plenty of gain on tap. Was also playing my new Music Man JP7 BFR axe, which I also love..

Carl, if the Nitro is anything like my Quickrod, you may need to crank the solo knob even if you're not using it. It affects the tone. I have mine at noon. Also, you may need some more volume.

Love the playing, the tone not so much.

Always good to see another person pick up a seven string. Are you going to be using them on the new album?

psychodave":3tac0b9k said:
The lead lines sounded good, but the rhythm was a little loose and buzzy for my tastes.

I remember when we played the Nitro back in August at Greg's i thought it sounded great, but we had it boosted the whole time with a Maxon OD pedal.

danyeo":xl6c2dma said:
psychodave":xl6c2dma said:
The lead lines sounded good, but the rhythm was a little loose and buzzy for my tastes.

I remember when we played the Nitro back in August at Greg's i thought it sounded great, but we had it boosted the whole time with a Maxon OD pedal.
I always boost my nitro, actually i liked my qr boosted too, just adds something to the eq i like and gives it a tighter feel that im used to and love.
i think i own the nitro you played, i bought one from the4thlast1.

Les Zombie":1u7c30xn said:
danyeo":1u7c30xn said:
psychodave":1u7c30xn said:

I always boost my nitro, actually i liked my qr boosted too, just adds something to the eq i like and gives it a tighter feel that im used to and love.
i think i own the nitro you played, i bought one from the4thlast1.

Yup, that's the one. But it think it would benefit from the volume knob in the loop. Or you can just run something in the loop with a volume control.

Loop vol is a cool feature but i never used it when i had my 2010 quickrod, i play loud at home and never used the loop vol and always played in full power.
i remembered seeing a post from you and some other dudes that heard the amp and at the time i was lusting for another nitro and ended up buying it, the kt88 are the secret to these amps, i owned one with el34 and wasnt inlove with it.

I did enjoy the Nitro at the ampfest ... sounded great. And we were running a boost pedal out front. However, from what I can remember I do prefer the sound of the newer version of the Nitro. The Nitro in this clip here had been updated from the version at the fest. Also, here I was running the guitar straight into the amp here, no pedals. (Delay was added at mix down)

To my ears, the Nitro (as well as the Quick Rod) have a hot-rodded JCM800 tone. The Nitro sounds a lot like the Quick Rod with more low mid capability and more gain on tap. The Nitro is really a different beast compared to the Fortin Bones. The Nitro has more of a vintage vibe to it, more sag and it a little more forgiving than the Fortin. The Fortin is tighter and faster. I love em both! That's why I have both! ;)

Oh yeh ... I haven't tried the Nitro with KT88's. According to Scott Splawn, with EL34's you will get more mid range. Since I tend to play lot's of notes, I like midrange! So my Nitro is loaded with EL34's. However, for more metal type music, with scooped mids, the KT88's are supposedly better.

Love the playing and lead tone but not into the rhythm tone a whole lot. That guitar looks cool as hell!! Got any photos of the top?

Jim

Yeah that was my Nitro at the amp fest,..... I have a 2010 version at the moment. The main difference is the volume control in the loop and the sweep on the resonance control.

I agree that Carls lead tone on here sounds great but the rhythm tone leaves some to be desired. I get very tight low end with my Nitro and my 7 string and like others mentioned its all about the boost. I would set the gain a little lower and run the boost in front with the level up and drive down...The Nitro loves a Maxon 808 because it adds some upper mids and makes the lows much tighter. Any tube screamer type boost would do it though.

The Nitro also sounds best to me with KT88's.... Carl if you want to try KT88's sometime let me know. Its an easy resistor swap and Im handy with a soldering iron.

danyeo":gcl480c7 said:
psychodave":gcl480c7 said:

I loved the way that Nitro sounded as well. I don't get what issues people have with boosting things... if it sounds better boosted, why WOULDN'T you do it?

Back