Splawn Quickrod ohm question

Mckina

Hello Everyone,

I just got a 2018 Quickrod and had a quick question about the ohm settings. I have 2 cabinets (2x12's) that have a 16 ohm output each. I understand running both cabinets at full power I run the amp at 8 ohm. What if I wanted to run the amp at half power? Would I need to half the ohm setting yet again to 4 ohms?

Thanks

Hey there.. I think last time I tested this I couldnt run 2 cabs with my Nitro 100 in half power mode. I had to flip it to Full power to run two 412s.

I am not sure if the Nitro and Quickrod are designed differently though for the situation you're asking about.

Cheers

Hello Everyone,

I just got a 2018 Quickrod and had a quick question about the ohm settings. I have 2 cabinets (2x12's) that have a 16 ohm output each. I understand running both cabinets at full power I run the amp at 8 ohm. What if I wanted to run the amp at half power? Would I need to half the ohm setting yet again to 4 ohms?

Thanks
Yes

Hey there.. I think last time I tested this I couldnt run 2 cabs with my Nitro 100 in half power mode. I had to flip it to Full power to run two 412s.

I am not sure if the Nitro and Quickrod are designed differently though for the situation you're asking about.

Cheers
why was that?

That would be my imp
Hello Everyone,

My amp Tech told me that generally you should cut the impedance in half.. but amps can be mismatched and handle ONE SETTING on either end for a few hours with no issues.. where you get in trouble is running the amp on 16 ohm tap into a 4 ohm load.. this is what causes the issues longer term.. 16 into 8 can handle or 8 into 16 can handle.. 4 to 16.. no way..

The real answer to this is that "It Depends"

It depends on what you have exactly and how you plan to connect. Generally, extra cabs are added in parallel - meaning you divide down. I usually go to Mesa to double check my thoughts on this. I personally am not sure I would want to run 2 cabinets and also 1/2 power. When you go to half power, you are basically only using half of the Output transformer. With the transformers Scott uses, I doubt it would ever be a problem. When in doubt, email or call Scott.

Here is a good link:

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/e...the-best-way-to-connect-speakers-or-cabinets-

The real answer to this is that "It Depends"

It depends on what you have exactly and how you plan to connect. Generally, extra cabs are added in parallel - meaning you divide down. I usually go to Mesa to double check my thoughts on this. I personally am not sure I would want to run 2 cabinets and also 1/2 power. When you go to half power, you are basically only using half of the Output transformer. With the transformers Scott uses, I doubt it would ever be a problem. When in doubt, email or call Scott.

Here is a good link:

https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/e...the-best-way-to-connect-speakers-or-cabinets-
Thanks, Fellas

I've owned the amp for a couple months and did try to get in touch with the people at Splawn. They don't seem to answer phone call messages or Emails. I have tried a few times :(

Anyway, It's no huge deal as the amp sounds fantastic as is. It was just for science fun. Although, I did own a Boogie Stiletto ages ago and that amp did add a nice snarl in lower power mode at low volume. Just a thing etched in my memory banks :)

Thank you

I believe Scott Splawn is a one man show at this point. He is building all the amps and guitars himself as well as the cabs and tolex and shipping and customer service and repairs etc. I have found it is best to call at night - like 6 or 7 EST. He is super busy though.

FWIW - I run my amp at half power but main to just save on power tubes and get more aggressive tone sooner. That is the theory anyway.

So running in half power? Cut ohms in half.
Running 2 separate cabs? Cut ohms in half. Again.

This assumes both cabs are 16 ohms each. Most 4x12's are. I just reread that you have 2 - 2x12s. 16 ohm each. That means both speakers in each cab are 8 ohms and those 2 speakers are wired in series for 16 total (each cab).

BTW - just because the ohm number is a lower number does not mean it is weaker or lower power or anything like that.

I believe Scott Splawn is a one man show at this point. He is building all the amps and guitars himself as well as the cabs and tolex and shipping and customer service and repairs etc. I have found it is best to call at night - like 6 or 7 EST. He is super busy though.

FWIW - I run my amp at half power but main to just save on power tubes and get more aggressive tone sooner. That is the theory anyway.

This assumes both cabs are 16 ohms each. Most 4x12's are. I just reread that you have 2 - 2x12s. 16 ohm each. That means both speakers in each cab are 8 ohms and those 2 speakers are wired in series for 16 total (each cab).

BTW - just because the ohm number is a lower number does not mean it is weaker or lower power or anything like that.
Thank you

I'm sure he is busy which is a good thing. I'll try to call again!

Anyway It's weird, but just how my rig turned out with two 2x12's. It's kind of cool though! If feeling lazy I can drag one of the 2x12's with the head and be done. That setup is easy running at half power of course. The second 2x12 added another layer of hell to the old ohm equation :)

Thank you

I'm sure he is busy which is a good thing. I'll try to call again!

Anyway It's weird, but just how my rig turned out with two 2x12's. It's kind of cool though! If feeling lazy I can drag one of the 2x12's with the head and be done. That setup is easy running at half power of course. The second 2x12 added another layer of hell to the old ohm equation :)
So if you run 2 cabs is it for more projection or for sound separation? I don't gig but I'm in love right now with my Splawn and Rectoverb together with an ABY pedal and a TC Electronics Mimiq. Separate cabs of course.

I do find that to be the case my self with the Nitro. I find it more aggressive yet more controlled in half power mode than full power 100watts.

I didnt think you needed to cut the ohms in half if you run half power. I've been running my Nitro in half power (with all tubes, not pulling tubes out) and using the matched ohms to the cab connect. is that damaging my Power transformer?

I recall Scott mentioned to me that if I run 50watts mode, I can pull the outter tubes since they're not being used but still get heated but I have to cut the OHMS in half of whatever the cabinet is.

I do find that to be the case my self with the Nitro. I find it more aggressive yet more controlled in half power mode than full power 100watts.

I didnt think you needed to cut the ohms in half if you run half power. I've been running my Nitro in half power (with all tubes, not pulling tubes out) and using the matched ohms to the cab connect. is that damaging my Power transformer?

I recall Scott mentioned to me that if I run 50watts mode, I can pull the outter tubes since they're not being used but still get heated but I have to cut the OHMS in half of whatever the cabinet is.
You might be right about that. I 'think' what he told me is that if you are going to run this way long term, pull outer tubes, rebias, cut ohms.

You might be right about that. I 'think' what he told me is that if you are going to run this way long term, pull outer tubes, rebias, cut ohms.
The re-bias in half mode threw me off.... and I know its probably something to do with using half the OT. But when I put the new tubes in, I biased them at full power at 34mA. When I switch to half power mode, that jumps to a whole different value. I dont recall what it was.

If I use half power mode, do I still bias them to 34mA regardless?

The re-bias in half mode threw me off.... and I know its probably something to do with using half the OT. But when I put the new tubes in, I biased them at full power at 34mA. When I switch to half power mode, that jumps to a whole different value. I dont recall what it was.

If I use half power mode, do I still bias them to 34mA regardless?
Here is the thing. The transformer's Scott uses can probably handle anything you throw at it. The half power switch is great as a feature and for those that want to casually mess around with it - and you probably wouldn't hurt anything (at bedroom levels). But the Splawn User Manual specifically says to cut the ohms in half while in half power.

Now, if you plan to gig out like that or keep it that way long term, that is where Scott is saying pull the outer pair of tubes because you are not using them. There is no signal being passed through them. But they stay lit and the heaters are still active so you might as well take them out. Now, by doing that, you need to cut the ohms in half. Then, lastly, you should also go ahead and rebias.

I hope that clears that up as far as the difference. Short spurts, you don't have to do anything. Long term use, cut ohms and rebias.

Now on the rebias thing, I personally follow the advice of not biasing to numbers. Bias to tone. There are too many variables. Mainly, the plate voltage coming off and the physical variables within the tubes themselves. If you've seen my biasing tutorial you will see that I go into this in pretty good detail. That said, I have been running strictly in 1/2 power mode for a very long time now and my current set of EL34s are running at 35 mA right now.

So - long answer :) there is no set rhyme or reason on what your bias should be at half power. Generally, my opinion is that it is not going to change all that much.

Here is the thing. The transformer's Scott uses can probably handle anything you throw at it. The half power switch is great as a feature and for those that want to casually mess around with it - and you probably wouldn't hurt anything (at bedroom levels). But the Splawn User Manual specifically says to cut the ohms in half while in half power.

Now, if you plan to gig out like that or keep it that way long term, that is where Scott is saying pull the outer pair of tubes because you are not using them. There is no signal being passed through them. But they stay lit and the heaters are still active so you might as well take them out. Now, by doing that, you need to cut the ohms in half. Then, lastly, you should also go ahead and rebias.

I hope that clears that up as far as the difference. Short spurts, you don't have to do anything. Long term use, cut ohms and rebias.

Now on the rebias thing, I personally follow the advice of not biasing to numbers. Bias to tone. There are too many variables. Mainly, the plate voltage coming off and the physical variables within the tubes themselves. If you've seen my biasing tutorial you will see that I go into this in pretty good detail. That said, I have been running strictly in 1/2 power mode for a very long time now and my current set of EL34s are running at 35 mA right now.

So - long answer :) there is no set rhyme or reason on what your bias should be at half power. Generally, my opinion is that it is not going to change all that much.
Thanks Buddy. I'll definitly be cutting the OHMS In half this week when I am band jam, and since I am doing that I may as well take the outter tubes out to save their life. I'll re-bias to 35mA in half power mode and see how it sounds.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Buddy. I'll definitly be cutting the OHMS In half this week when I am band jam, and since I am doing that I may as well take the outter tubes out to save their life. I'll re-bias to 35mA in half power mode and see how it sounds.

Thanks again for your help.
Sounds like a plan. Happy to help where I can. Good luck my friend.

Always remember too to never play your amp with a bias probe in and never take a probe off while the amp is on. Bias to what you think you want. Turn off amp. Take probe out. Play amp for awhile. Rebias up or down if needed. Repeat.

Then, after you certain you like the tone you are getting put it back in its headshell.

Sounds like a plan. Happy to help where I can. Good luck my friend.

Always remember too to never play your amp with a bias probe in and never take a probe off while the amp is on. Bias to what you think you want. Turn off amp. Take probe out. Play amp for awhile. Rebias up or down if needed. Repeat.

Then, after you certain you like the tone you are getting put it back in its headshell.
Luckily I don't need a bias probe anymore. When I had my "mods" done to the Nitro, I had the tech install external bias points on the amp. All I have to do is take the back panel off and I can use the points and dial to adjust the bias. 😁

Luckily I don't need a bias probe anymore. When I had my "mods" done to the Nitro, I had the tech install external bias points on the amp. All I have to do is take the back panel off and I can use the points and dial to adjust the bias. 😁
Oh man that is sweet. I should do that.

Sorry to hijack your thread McKina - hopefully it was all beneficial to you as well.

Back