Splawn VS VHT: Build Quality

Not to fan the flames or anything, but I had a 2010 Nitro a while back that died on me twice, even after a trip to the amp tech for a fix.

Tech said the cause was poor location of a couple of components in relation to each other, causing overheating and component failure. Said there really wasn’t any good cure for it since it was inherent in the amps design.

Sold the amp.

I WILL say, however. That splawn customer service over the phone was some of the best I can attest to. I will give them that.

First I've heard of any issues.

Thanks for sharing your stories, I believe you. I wish your experiences had been different. Scott is one of the best in the business IMO. That and he only charges what he needs to. I mean, $2,100 - $2,200 new for one of his amps? That's insane.

Sorry I called you out paulyc.

That said, I think the general consensus is that Scott Splawn makes very high quality amplifiers that are built like tanks and of quality components. My Heybour transformers are massive. The filter capacitors are massive too. Orange drops. Zenners. Thick traces and board as mentioned. No cut corners that I can see. Mine is a 2008. The chassis mounted tube sockets take a ton of abuse from me as I swap tubes around a lot.

YMMV :dunno:

I've had two QR's, a Pitbull and a SigX. One of my splawns headshells completely imploded after taking a fall. just about all the tubes shattered, transformer was bent. It wasn't good.

Last year I had to fix 2 cold solder joints on my pitbull.The build quality on them otherwise has been incredible.

rottingcorpse":1c8xvziz said:
Imo they are both high quality,well built amps. Rarely have i heard about issues from either brand. Both also have a dedicated fan base,which is often the cause of vocal opinions for/against each other.
Exactly this.
:rock:

Oops I guess I should have read all the posts...looks like problems do occur.
Haven't had any myself though.

Both of my Splawn headshells the tolex started peeling...and they weren’t very old at the time.

paulyc":g41afu0c said:
Both of my Splawn headshells the tolex started peeling...and they weren’t very old at the time.

Weird, my 2007 QR shows no signs of peeling/poor aging.

Everyone has their own experiences. My tech had nothing but good things to say about my 2010 Splawn Nitro, and he's seen everything from solid state Peavey up to Friedman/Diezel/Mesa/VHT's top offerings. I trust his judgement.

While I have never owned a VHT, my 2005 Splawn Quick Rod is built like a tank. The workmanship is top notch.

SFW":3frdlhiv said:
While I have never owned a VHT, my 2005 Splawn Quick Rod is built like a tank. The workmanship is top notch.
Exactly....I have had many Splawn’s and all were top notch builds and solid workmanship... I never had any with tolex coming apart on any head or cab...And to say there junk...WOW...Great guy Great prices and amps that sound killer!

Back