Steavens Poundcake amps?

Okay guys I'm still working out in this Apocalypse but I'm on the hunt for an amp I've never owned but have played.

So lets talk about the Steavens poundcake!

Does anyone here currently own one? I've seen some videos and there are tones there I really dig.

I've red all the posts on here I could search, but I've got the need for more info!

Happy Apocalypse everyone!

I have a 25th Anniversary and it is amazing. One thing I have not figured out is how to save the gain mode for each channel which is quite annoying. However, it can easily do modern metal and pretty much everything softer. The gain modes and mid shift make it very versatile. I wanted to try one for a long time and when this popped up, I bought it from Australia and had it converted (they have international transformers) and I am so glad I did.

Qweklain":117ourw3 said:
I have a 25th Anniversary and it is amazing. One thing I have not figured out is how to save the gain mode for each channel which is quite annoying. However, it can easily do modern metal and pretty much everything softer. The gain modes and mid shift make it very versatile. I wanted to try one for a long time and when this popped up, I bought it from Australia and had it converted (they have international transformers) and I am so glad I did.

A guy in Australia I chat with on Facebook had one. Said it was one of the best amps he’s ever owned. He goes through a lot of amps so of course he sold it. I wonder if you got it.

After reading your thread I clicked on a YT video and it just so happened to be our very Jeff Hiligan's vid from 2016. Maybe he'll chime in on what he thought about the amp, I thought his vid sounded alright.

mhenson42":26zpxd1d said:
Qweklain":26zpxd1d said:

A guy in Australia I chat with on Facebook had one. Said it was one of the best amps he’s ever owned. He goes through a lot of amps so of course he sold it. I wonder if you got it.
Interesting, because the guy I bought it from said it was one of the best amps he played. If I put the two together, I am going to bet that we are, indeed, referring to the same individual.

harddriver":1w2quj9b said:
After reading your thread I clicked on a YT video and it just so happened to be our very Jeff Hiligan's vid from 2016. Maybe he'll chime in on what he thought about the amp, I thought his vid sounded alright.

Yup it's the only amp besides my 100b that was stolen from me that I wish I still had.

Jeff

sorry your gear was taken! This was definitely a video I've watched!

I was sent a link to this video and I REALLY like the tones this thing has!

Thanks to Sblue for the link

Jeff

sorry your gear was taken! This was definitely a video I've watched!

I was sent a link to this video and I REALLY like the tones this thing has!

Thanks to Sblue for the link
You're welcome! Yep, that was my amp. And this was filmed on one of the various ampfests I've hosted in Brazil, between 2012 and 2016.
That amp is a MK-1 100w, and it was a beast of an amp.

You're welcome! Yep, that was my amp. And this was filmed on one of the various ampfests I've hosted in Brazil, between 2012 and 2016.
That amp is a MK-1 100w, and it was a beast of an amp.

Have you ever played a mark III poundcake or thunderstruck, Tiago?

I absolutely love steavens stuff - one of the few builders Larry holds in high regard.

Have you ever played a mark III poundcake or thunderstruck, Tiago?

I absolutely love steavens stuff - one of the few builders Larry holds in high regard.
Unfortunately, I haven't tried any other Steavens besides this particular one. But I would imagine that they are, at least, as good as this MK-1 Poundcake.
Tho Mike Fortin wanted this particular circuit, he asked for detailed pics before offering to buy the amp and said this was the one version he was looking for, so I would imagine that there are at least two different MK-1 Poundcake 100w circuits.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried any other Steavens besides this particular one. But I would imagine that they are, at least, as good as this MK-1 Poundcake.
Tho Mike Fortin wanted this particular circuit, he asked for detailed pics before offering to buy the amp and said this was the one version he was looking for, so I would imagine that there are at least two different MK-1 Poundcake 100w circuits.
AFAIK yes there are a couple revisions of the mark I.

I actually prefer (!) the mark III poundcake out of all of them, though, so go figure.

I've played 4 steavens models and all were freaking great.

I can’t imagine why Fortin would want it :scared:

I'm surprised people never assimilated how much the Natas looks like the Steavens Poundcake.

And I was surprised, how close the front panel design of the NATAS was matching my design idea of the front panel of my back then planned Jon Schaffer Signature Head, what later became the Pure Metal Machine and of what I've emailed MF several photos already in Feb of 2008 at a time, as noone still knew about his plans, founding an amp company late in 2008 - for copying proofed designs of others, obviously not only circuit designs ;)

The first design ever, where right after the input first came the lead channel, the clean channel second.
200_1122.JPG

The Brick preamp I had, which I guess is more or less in the same ballpark of circuit as the original Poundcake and the Radioactivator, wasn´t much of a SLO thing when compared to a Soldano. More along the lines of a darker Marshall to my ears, a less saturated feel and a less bright/shiny tone than the Soldano OD.

I tried really hard to build a USA Steavens pound cake. Bernard and I were in discussion about it. Somehow MF wanted his design

Back