String gauge for Drop C on Les Paul

Hey guys, haven't posted on here in years. Just got an Epiphone Bjorn Gelotte LP Custom and I've had it tuned down to Drop C for a couple weeks (Killswitch Engage and Pantera type riffs). Strings feel pretty rubbery/floppy and have trouble staying in tune. I think the stock strings are 10-46. Was briefly contemplating drop A# with a baritone set for In Flames type stuff but I think you lose some tone when you go that low. Anyways, any suggestions for string gauges in drop C on a 24.75 scale guitar? Thanks!

I think Zachary is right. Almost every stock string set sucks in terms of being balanced. If I tune to standard E I don;t mind as much but drop anything and I need to get tension calculator out.
I use a custom 10-53 set on my LP in dropC and I think the 53 might be a bit floppy. I used to use 10-52 for awhile. I think I'd like to get something like 10.5 or 11 to 55 or 57 for dropC. I can't figure out what I like after 30+ years so I'll stalk this thread, lol

crankyrayhanky":2scc3n5v said:
I think Zachary is right. Almost every stock string set sucks in terms of being balanced. If I tune to standard E I don;t mind as much but drop anything and I need to get tension calculator out.
I use a custom 10-53 set on my LP in dropC and I think the 53 might be a bit floppy. I used to use 10-52 for awhile. I think I'd like to get something like 10.5 or 11 to 55 or 57 for dropC. I can't figure out what I like after 30+ years so I'll stalk this thread, lol

I think he is as well and I know tension is important. I actually want to try his strings but it's a minimum $50 order for 5 sets.

I'm sure I'll try them one day but the extra money isn't there right now and the GHS strings are half the cost, sound great and correct tension or not I've gotten accustomed to the feel.

Yeah I love D'Addario's. Leaning towards the 11-56 NYXL set. Says it's optimised for D standard tuning, so the heavy 6th string is good for dropping to C I would imagine.

tension is the biggest factor here.... which is why i've been on the heavy core strings... supposed to be greater tension with a smaller gauge string.

I use these for Drop-C. At one point I was using a 59 for my low string but it was was hard to dial out the "fatness" of the string so I ended up going back to the stock set.

da_prod_exl117_main_1.jpg

Read about it here: http://www.daddario.com/DADMobileProduc ... tom__11_56

Back