Suddenly when I click off Stand by I'm hearing a static sound

kmanick

everything seems to be working but that sound was not there until the other day
preamp tube on it's way out?
crap I've got gigs the next 3 weekends too, don't want this to die on me mid set :(

***** edit ****
Just got an email back from Scott and he said first obviously check the tubes , if they all look good try reseating them.
well I pulled all of the preamp tubes and spayed the pins with contact cleaner and the static seems to be gone.
I'm waiting for the power tubes to cool off an dwill do the same.
I have all NOS vintage RFT's and Mullards in my preamp section, I hope they don't die on me any time soon as this amp sounds freaking amazing right now

Last edited:
If I remember, I had the same issue a while back and used contact cleaner and re-seated the tubes and seemed to fix the issue.

Every one of my Splawns make a squealie sound when I turn them off.
does it do that when you turn Standby ON and then turn OFF the amp right away?

I found with my Nitro if I do that right away without giving the amp a couple of seconds on stand by, it does this weird fadeout squealy noise.

does it do that when you turn Standby ON and then turn OFF the amp right away?

I found with my Nitro if I do that right away without giving the amp a couple of seconds on stand by, it does this weird fadeout squealy noise.

It happens when I shut the standby off, and then click the power off. I'm not sure if time makes a difference, like shutting it off right away or waiting a little bit.

I think the squeal thing you guys are thinking of is different.

the squeal IIRC is voltages discharging or something. I turn off Standby and wait 3 seconds and then power off

Yeah, all three of my Splawn amps do it and I've had other tube amps in the past that did something similar. I think it's the capacitors discharging or something, but I could be totally wrong on that too.

Yeah, all three of my Splawn amps do it and I've had other tube amps in the past that did something similar. I think it's the capacitors discharging or something, but I could be totally wrong on that too.
yep. my boogie does that too

i was thinking kmanick's issue was more a prolonged static vs a quick ZEEEEEEEEEAP

mine was coming out of standby into "playing" mode. it seems to be fixed, what you guys are describing is something discharging(I forgot exactly what), wait 30 seconds before shutting the amp off and you shouldn't hear it (from Scott)

mine was coming out of standby into "playing" mode. it seems to be fixed, what you guys are describing is something discharging(I forgot exactly what), wait 30 seconds before shutting the amp off and you shouldn't hear it (from Scott)
So using contacts cleaner and reseating the tubes fixed the issue?

looks like it did , I will be firing it up again today to see if it's still silent, but yesterday it seemed to do the trick.
Some of the Splawn guys on TGP also said try firing it up with the loop off, that also seemed to kill any noise and then engage the loop once the stand by is off. so I'll try that today as well.

Glad I'm not the only one that hears the squealies when turning it off, mine have done that for as long as I can remember. If I don't use the standby switch and just turn it off it doesn't do it. I was the one who suggested turning it on with the loop off, as per Scott, but that was for the static thunder sounds when engaged.

Back