Suhr SL68 (FB) at the Dr.

I've only ever had good experiences with Suhr. I've asked John a few questions on TGP (he goes by Husky there) and he's always been prompt and informative. Also, the Suhr and Fractal Reactive Loads are basically the only reactive loads on the market that approach an actual cabinet's impedance curve. My Suhr RL has basically single-handedly made buying tube amps worth the trouble, and it's been rock solid through all the maxed-out 100w amps I've thrown at it. It's excellent.

I don't own any Suhr guitars or amps so I don't have any skin in that game, but all the Suhr guitars and amps I've played have all been absolutely top quality, no complaints here.

There's a bit of dog piling in this thread and from reading it, you'd think the company was run by a bunch of grifty scammers or something. In my experience it's very much not that.
I'm not saying anything bad about Suhr. I just don't have the patience for a 6-month phone diagnosis.
I love the amp and I'm glad to be getting a 3-way Bright Switch in there. It will be even better.
If I mention I'm playing the SL68 thru the Boss TAE, deals off. They blame the Boss, Fryette, etc.
So, I'm taking the easier option.

I'm not saying anything bad about Suhr. I just don't have the patience for a 6-month phone diagnosis.
I love the amp and I'm glad to be getting a 3-way Bright Switch in there. It will be even better.
If I mention I'm playing the SL68 thru the Boss TAE, deals off. They blame the Boss, Fryette, etc.
I seem to recall another person on the forum here that had problems with their amp while using the Boss TAE....I can't remember if it took out the PT or OT.

John is an awesome guy…

I will say, from my own experience of multiple Suhr guitars, amps, Reactive Loads - their marketing around best in class quality, precision, tolerances, etc is just that…marketing.

As a brand, I have never experienced as many issues as I have with my Suhr products. Then, like the OP, it can be very tough to get contact with anyone in customer service that knows what’s going on with something you have sent back under warranty.

Like I said, I really like John - and I know he gets frustrated when people bring their Suhr issues to forums but in many cases there is a reason why they feel compelled to b$tch about something on the forums. It’s usually frustration relating to something gone wrong that they then can’t get resolved.

Are you playing the amp through a Boss TAE? You may be using it how it was not intended and the fuse is saving the OT from blowing. I know a couple people now that have had trouble..

I just talked to Suhr and they sent me LED's for my amp that I wanted to change the color on. He is super quick to respond to all my emails, I got one at like 8:30pm on a Sunday over vacation about asking when they will be coming out with more ISO Line out boxes.

I have tried and have many of his products and they are top notch.

Are you playing the amp through a Boss TAE? You may be using it how it was not intended and the fuse is saving the OT from blowing. I know a couple people now that have had trouble..

I just talked to Suhr and they sent me LED's for my amp that I wanted to change the color on. He is super quick to respond to all my emails, I got one at like 8:30pm on a Sunday over vacation about asking when they will be coming out with more ISO Line out boxes.

I have tried and have many of his products and they are top notch.

Yes, thru the TAE. Not running the amp hard at all. No problem w/ my SLO thru it. My friend dimes any of his Marshalls thru it, no problem.

Like what?

Issue with a guitar finish, RL not working after 2 days, Hombre smoking when using during the first week, Hedgehog midi not working and requiring a replacement, Suhr PT15 issue with high gain channel - I am sure I am forgetting some.

Ironically, unlike the OP, the only Suhr product I think I have not had issues with is my SL68 (which was the first product I ever purchased) lol

All of the issues were either as soon as I received the item or within the first few days of usage, so they were nothing to do with how I was using them.

FB, for FUSE BLOWER. Since I got it, as soon as I run it a little hard it blows the HT Fuse.
Also, the front panel is microphonic. If you whack it w/ your knuckle you hear it thru the speaker cab. The sound of plugging a guitar cable into the input jack is amplified. You hear it thru the speaker cab.
So, I did some research. Seems even when Pete Thorn got his SL68 it blew a fuse. Some more of the same on TGP.
Now, it might be a shit power tube or not. The Customer Support is a joke. The guy there sends me an email every other day. A joke. At that rate it will take 6 months to diagnosis.
So, luckily where I live there is an awesome tech and amp builder. Jack at RocknRoll amps.
He will see what the problem is and I requested a 3-position Bright Switch. The SL68 ships with NO Bright Cap. Another joke, IMO.
Just blowing off steam. This shit pisses me off.
You should just call them then, how long have you been emailing them? Its under warranty and according to another user they’ll probably pay for shipping both ways and fix it. Could be a bad power tube, thats not their fault. If you cant lift it around to ship thats your problem get a cart or buy a lunchbox amp. . Doesn’t have a bright switch, you knew that before you bought it right? You say Johns a great guy in another post, way to show it bashing his company because as you say you’re impatient to get this issue fixed. Just like to complain and bitch I guess…

You should just call them then, how long have you been emailing them? Its under warranty and according to another user they’ll probably pay for shipping both ways and fix it. Could be a bad power tube, thats not their fault. If you cant lift it around to ship thats your problem get a cart or buy a lunchbox amp. . Doesn’t have a bright switch, you knew that before you bought it right? You say Johns a great guy in another post, way to show it bashing his company because as you say you’re impatient to get this issue fixed. Just like to complain and bitch I guess…
Right, a 6,000 mile round trip. No thanks. I got it taken care of locally, and yeah, I like to bitch, when Customer Support replies to your emails every 2 days. I don't have 6 months (their pace)
I got a cart, and you can shove your suggestion for a Lunch Box amp up your ass.

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having, OP. Sucks and it’s frustrating. Been there. Currently having an issue with a Bogner Ecstasy 101b, myself.

I’m on my fourth SL68. It’s the amp I keep coming back to. Run them hard and I’ve never had a problem with any of them. Go figure.

Lol you can take John's dick out of your mouth fanboy :-D

Issue with a guitar finish, RL not working after 2 days, Hombre smoking when using during the first week, Hedgehog midi not working and requiring a replacement, Suhr PT15 issue with high gain channel - I am sure I am forgetting some.

Ironically, unlike the OP, the only Suhr product I think I have not had issues with is my SL68 (which was the first product I ever purchased) lol

All of the issues were either as soon as I received the item or within the first few days of usage, so they were nothing to do with how I was using them.
Wow, loads more than I expected. Curious how an online community (TGP) can persuade someone into thinking how impeccable a company is when it really isn't.

Back