swapping pup magnets....

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
anybody ever do this? especially in a jb? I have a Kramer 84 with a stock jb -it's ok....more blah sounding to me. Going to get another tone nerd from scottosan, but I thought I might try and swap magnets first. Have any of you done this and what is your opinion on it? I have checked other sites but I would rather have opinions from the homies....

anybody ever do this? especially in a jb? I have a Kramer 84 with a stock jb -it's ok....more blah sounding to me. Going to get another tone nerd from scottosan, but I thought I might try and swap magnets first. Have any of you done this and what is your opinion on it? I have checked other sites but I would rather have opinions from the homies....
Yeah, it makes a difference.

I swapped from an A2 to an A8 in a "hot PAF" style pickup and did comparison clips - changing nothing but the magnets.

It's noticable.

Yeah can be a pretty noticable difference depending on the magnets swapped.

The threads in the bobbin that the 4 screws on the bottom screw into can easily be stripped if you try to tighten too much. If it's potted then you'll likely have to warm it with a hair dryer/heat gun to push the old magnet out. I always remelt it in after installing the new magnet.

For me it helps to already have a third magnet to insure correct polarity. Mark that third magnet with a + on one edge and a - on the other or anything, I write L and C. Then when you push the old magnet out, note the orientation (neck/bridge edges) and compare it edge to edge with that third magnet. If it pushes it away then thats how you must orient the new magnet. If it pulls it closer then you must orient it that way. Hope that made sense. It's a lot more simple than I made it sound.

4rL1jM3.jpg

Swapping magnets makes a very big difference in sound & feel IME, even if it’s the same magnet type (like A5 for example), but by different brands/sources

The coercive force (Hc) from A2 to A8 is a factor of 3.

The difference between A2 and A5 however, is almost negligable.

Alnico 2 : 500
Alnico 5 : 600
Alncio 8 : 1,530

Interesting. Not surprising in some ways to hear. IME, based on swaps, A8’s tend to give pickups really huge low end, can be overbearing, but the tone itself on them I hate. Very hollow, ugly, just not good to my ears

I have done a LOT of magnet swaps. It's kind of a rabbit hole but a lot of fun. It will change your sound and feel to an extent, but also be aware that other factors such a baseplate material affects the tone too. You can even put some copper, bronze, cobalt, silver, nickel or various other metals on the baseplate and sometimes get an effect as they usually have some kind of paramagnetic property. However, the effect of magnets or other materials really depends on the pickups.
You really need to know the various magnets and effects they produce, and know exactly what you want to achieve. Second, you need to have a careful setup to record and listen to before/after clips. Pay attention also to the feel. Some magnets have an aged/degaussed effect that softens things and causes a bit more articulate response. Other magnets like A8 are very strong and thickens the midrange. If you have a Dimarzio, for example, A8 may not be a good option if the pickup already has a thick midrange. Dimarzio, Duncan, etc. typically use different baseplate materials.
Note the magnets can be polished, roughcast, unoriented, etc. This affects the pickup characteristics.
Probably the most useful for experimenting are roughcast for stronger magnets like a5 and polished for weaker magnets like A2. Rough magnets have a more unpredictable magnetic field so it can impart some nice individuality to your tone.
In my experience, A4 and UOA5 are the most pleasing magnets to swap. You don't hear a lot about A4 but it's really underrated. A4 gives you the power and low end of A5 but some of the sweetness of A2. It's my favorite magnet. UOA5 is a very popular type but it's effects are usually very mild or sometimes negligible.
Also, using A2 in really powerful pickups with lots of low end/low mids can have a very desirable effect and make a one-trick pony into a more versatile pickup.
Lastly, the ultimate pickup tweak is combining font/back coils from different pickups. There are a few general guidelines for getting a useful sound from this (that is, make sense to try) but you'd be better off having a lot of pickup tinkering experience before undertaking such a thing.

Lastly, the ultimate pickup tweak is combining font/back coils from different pickups. There are a few general guidelines for getting a useful sound from this (that is, make sense to try) but you'd be better off having a lot of pickup tinkering experience before undertaking such a thing.
Yep.

Been a fan of asymmetric-wind humbuckers for a long time.

Back in the day, this is how it was done.. before you had tons of guys in their little workshops making custom winds.

Last edited:
I ordered an A8 and a ceramic magnet for my JB but haven`t done any experimenting yet. To my understanding and what I red one other forums, the JB basically becomes a SH6 with the ceramic magnet and an alternative 8 with the A8. Also going to try the ToneNerd Sunset Strip.

I ordered an A8 and a ceramic magnet for my JB but haven`t done any experimenting yet. To my understanding and what I red one other forums, the JB basically becomes a SH6 with the ceramic magnet and an alternative 8 with the A8. Also going to try the ToneNerd Sunset Strip.
Alt 8 is a different wind than the JB. It's not the same. I have a JB8 and an Alt 8 and can tell you they don't sound alike.

Alt 8 is a rather unique pickup. Nothing else like it. The JB is best with UOA5 polished magnet. The Duncan Custom is the one you want to try with all kinds of magnets. It's one of the best pickups there are imo.

Reactions: PDC

This is not what changes the tone though. This changes the output. What changes the actual tone is that iron content is different. What's going on the hood the change in inductance due to alloy difference. When the inductance changes, so does the resonant peak and the q factor(EQ slope) A2 has a higher inductance than A5, so in a pickup like a JB, it will raise the inductance, lower the resonant peak by a few hundred hertz and will feel hotter.

I'm curious how you like the Sunset compared to the different iterations of the JB.
I've had the JB in a couple of strats. I never felt the need to change it, wasn't particularly blown away by it either.
The Sunset is a blast every time I play it. In fact, I now want to play it tonight when I get home from work.

This is not what changes the tone though. This changes the output. What changes the actual tone is that iron content is different. What's going on the hood the change in inductance due to alloy difference. When the inductance changes, so does the resonant peak and the q factor(EQ slope) A2 has a higher inductance than A5, so in a pickup like a JB, it will raise the inductance, lower the resonant peak by a few hundred hertz and will feel hotter.
which one for that kramer homie? alder body, maple neck with a floyd....

Back