Talk about awful... someone's got an eKit!

JerEvil

Got this Strike Pro kit a good bit ago. I have ALWAYS wanted to be a drummer. Never had a living situation that would support it. Over the years most of my drummers were very cool about letting me muck about on their kits. I really just play now because I love it, even though my ability far un-exceeds (is that a word?) my desire to be competent on a kit! LOL!

Anyway, I was on a Toontrack FB group today and a dude asked if anyone was using any metal EZX's with an eKit. He was specifically asking for vids, so told him I'd try and make one.

I may likely turn this into a series of "Piss Poor Drum Covers By A Guy Who Loves To Play"...

Its funny, I've played drums in bands a bit, but I haven't been able to spend enough time with a double kick setup to get comfortable.

We actually had a band for awhile where I brought the guitar gear, and another guy brought the drums and we would rotate on sets. (as in if, we did 3 sets a night, I might do 1 and 3 on guitar, and he would do set 2). Those were fun times!

So what I'm saying is, you did just fine! Especially with the intent of just having fun with it. The sounds are pretty damn good too, even through this shitty earpiece I have on haha

I love playing drums at open mics (if they will ever come back) I would play mostly guitar (obviously) but I love hopping on the throne and choking through a few grooves with the guys. I am confident that it was the beer, but fun nonetheless.

Love me the e kit money pit! Just converted my acoustic to the final price of close to 2k. It is the only reasonable volume way though.. also going to be hooking it up to EZ drummer or SD3. I think that the timing of a human playing the drums is still the missing link with the software so if you really want it to be a realistic performance matching the feeling of the song, you have to play it. Yes I know the grooves are played by real drummers but the accents aren't there like they would be if you were laying into parts of a song specific to THAT song vs a generic tempo.

Now play me some Mickey Dee Jer!

Crazy. I just got a Strike Pro kit this weekend. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I've always wanted to play the drums. I have 3 acoustic sets but I can't play them at the house. So I think this was a pretty good purchase.

I contemplated getting the strike pro but I heard a lot about component / trigger failure and thought it would be easier and cheaper to go with external rim mounted triggers on 3 ply mesh heads. The pain in the ass has been retro fitting volume control cymbals but i saved 1K+ than buying the pro. That said for the same price I could have just got the regular one and then thrown a cheap trigger on a pad for an extra tom. Always sounds so ideal to just do it yourself but the costs add up..

I have three acoustic kits, getting rid of two of them in the near future. I don't really have the ability to play as much since my spine is really messed up, but the one kit I will always hold onto. I do have an awesome cymbal stash though that is not going anywhere

My first instrument was drums. For Christmas when I was a young boy I got a set of cheap drums. I immediately put a tom on the floor, upside down, and put a stick right thru the paper bottom...and immediately started crying cuz I just rooned my new drums. Good times. :LOL:

It is way more gratifying to do it yourself but the E kits are just too damn easy.

i have the RTOM black hole mesh heads that sit on top of your drum that you can just take off and go back to acoustic, they are great along with the low volume cymbals i have, you can play at tv volume and it feels like a real kit, maybe i gotta look into triggers for them

vBpVXWW.jpg

You kept great time and the groove going really-well, Jez! Rock on, brother. :rock:

Tell us about the kit, man. :yes:
Thanks man! It's an Alesis Strike Pro. Universally, it seems most people that have owned one seem to dig them and the build is solid enough given the size of the pads and pricing. The module makes you do a LOT of work. It's not a plug-and-play thing for sure. The hat controller seems to get the most flack. They have moved to a single hat pad on the SE version which some like better.

I am a ham fisted troglodyte so no issues there and I generally always have SD connected.

Its funny, I've played drums in bands a bit, but I haven't been able to spend enough time with a double kick setup to get comfortable.

We actually had a band for awhile where I brought the guitar gear, and another guy brought the drums and we would rotate on sets. (as in if, we did 3 sets a night, I might do 1 and 3 on guitar, and he would do set 2). Those were fun times!

So what I'm saying is, you did just fine! Especially with the intent of just having fun with it. The sounds are pretty damn good too, even through this shitty earpiece I have on haha
Oh fun! I know we have had a few get togethers with guys on another forum and I oddly get very shy in jam situations about my guitar playing so I always end up on a kit somehow! LOL!

I was trying to play double bass from the first time I sat on a bigger kit. This was when guys actually used 2 kick drums! LOL! I definitely am just doing it for fun but DO want to build the chops up a bit.

Sounds good Jer! I started on drums before guitar, love em both! The last two settings sounded best to my ear. Keep at it man, you got the groove!🤘🤘
I think you have a really good feel on the drums - a natural feel for the groove that you're probably born with and not everyone has. I say keep at it and you'll get where you wanna be.
I love playing drums at open mics (if they will ever come back) I would play mostly guitar (obviously) but I love hopping on the throne and choking through a few grooves with the guys. I am confident that it was the beer, but fun nonetheless.
Cheers fellas! I only get to play in "stolen moments" usually. I'll go out for 15-20 minutes and bang through a few things. Need to set some actual practice time though. I definitely understand the mechanics of WHAT I want to play, just need to get the ability up. It's so much damn fun for sure.

I would definitely do some open mic jams on a kit if/when shit opens back up, which we seem to be doing in NV. I have 3 gigs coming up over the next 2 months.

Love me the e kit money pit! Just converted my acoustic to the final price of close to 2k. It is the only reasonable volume way though.. also going to be hooking it up to EZ drummer or SD3. I think that the timing of a human playing the drums is still the missing link with the software so if you really want it to be a realistic performance matching the feeling of the song, you have to play it. Yes I know the grooves are played by real drummers but the accents aren't there like they would be if you were laying into parts of a song specific to THAT song vs a generic tempo.

Now play me some Mickey Dee Jer!

Yeah man that's really the reason I hopped on this guy. I got it for $1100 and it was basically new and came with the DW hat stand. I wanted to start making my own drum tracks for my demos... which I STILL haven't done yet! LOL!

I was playing "Arrival" the other day actually! I am trying to get the whole Abigail album learned! LOL! It was hilarious!

Crazy. I just got a Strike Pro kit this weekend. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I've always wanted to play the drums. I have 3 acoustic sets but I can't play them at the house. So I think this was a pretty good purchase.
Oh nice! How do you like it?

I have three acoustic kits, getting rid of two of them in the near future. I don't really have the ability to play as much since my spine is really messed up, but the one kit I will always hold onto. I do have an awesome cymbal stash though that is not going anywhere
When I get my casita built, I will have one room for an acoustic kit/guitar cabs. Can't wait.

I've jammed with MUCH worse drummers than you. You are not bad at all for someone who's not a drummer. A little more practice and you'll have some badass chops.
:love:

Haha I know that snare sound all to well!! I want an ekit so bad.
man, its taken me years of tuning, micing, mixing.. everything to not sound as good as any of those :ROFLMAO: id love one of these
Do it!!! Good cardio to, eh!

i have the RTOM black hole mesh heads that sit on top of your drum that you can just take off and go back to acoustic, they are great along with the low volume cymbals i have, you can play at tv volume and it feels like a real kit, maybe i gotta look into triggers for them

vBpVXWW.jpg
Man that's cool!

Back