Talk me in to/out of a Jubilee 100

flimz

With these Marshall price drops still in effect, I'm having a hard time resisting the gas for one.
I had a Ceriatone Jubilee a few years ago which I liked.
I know it's not a true channel switcher, but I can make it work for me. At least I did before.
I dont need massive high gain, but I know the Jube has more on tap than my 2204.

So...2555 users...speak to me!

Absolute killer amp.

Fricken awesome.

200.gif

these prices are amazing, it's now or never. most other price reduced amps are out of stock. I paid more for my JVM410H and 1959HW last year, who knew the prices would go down even more!

I don’t know how much a used reissue or a new reissue is going for these days. But I got to tell you something.zz I’ve had every version of the 2555, and the Slash sig sounds pretty much the same, with the AFD and 2555 reissue being very different from the original ones. With the original ones going from 2500 to 3500, they are still very affordable, for they scarcity and age. If you get a reissue one and like it, consider putting a bit more money and moving up to the real deal. Never met someone who regretted doing that.
Cheers

With these Marshall price drops still in effect, I'm having a hard time resisting the gas for one.
I had a Ceriatone Jubilee a few years ago which I liked.
I know it's not a true channel switcher, but I can make it work for me. At least I did before.
I dont need massive high gain, but I know the Jube has more on tap than my 2204.

So...2555 users...speak to me!
right there with you, but the 2525 is speaking to me and my wallet.

muddy and harsh at the same time, weird mids, personally don't understand the apeal of Jubilees. Old 2554 is good because Drake trannies and without diode clipping it is very JCM800-ish. 2555X are very cheap in EU but still I will choose cheaper DSL or JCM900.

I've owned 2 jubilees and played a reissue. The best one I had was the last revision jubilee that was also used for the slash signature model. It was aggressive and more versatile than you would think. But, it is darker, rounder, with more gain. So it does not really sound like a marshall. The reissue I played sounded brighter and more cutting, and honestly more like a gainier 2203 than the original runs did. Could be a bias thing or a parts tolerance thing. Idk. Anyway, I liked the amp, but ultimately I liked the 2203 with a boost more because I like a more raw sizzly sound than a darker smoother one.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! It seems most people here dig the Jubilee. I would probably get a matching cab as well.

Do you think $1500 is a fair price for a mint used one about 3 yrs old?
Or just wait till someone has a new one in stock?

My Jubilee Reissue thru the matching 4x12 w/ V-30's was one of the best Marshalls I owned.
A few things. I didn't use it as a channel-switcher. Stayed on the Lead channel and boosted it.
The gain past 2:00 was indeed muddy. The mids weren't so much weird, it was the fact that unlike a Super Lead or a 2203, the Jubilee actually HAD a decent midrange on it.

My Jubilee Reissue thru the matching 4x12 w/ V-30's was one of the best Marshalls I owned.
A few things. I didn't use it as a channel-switcher. Stayed on the Lead channel and boosted it.
The gain past 2:00 was indeed muddy. The mids weren't so much weird, it was the fact that unlike a Super Lead or a 2203, the Jubilee actually HAD a decent midrange on it.

Great tone!

I had a 2555X, didn't love it, recorded some clips and then returned it. Got a lot of shit for it over on the Marshall forum haha, a lot of comments about how I should've used a Les Paul or Strat and that's what I did wrong. It was a common enough sentiment that I really thought I must've been missing something, so I bought another when a deal popped up.

Still don't really like the amp. It's not bright and punchy like a 2203, the diodes are a large part of the distortion - and to be clear, my favorite Marshall of all time is the 2205/2210 and those have diodes too, so I'm not opposed to diodes in general. What I don't like is the way the amp is relatively cleaner than a 2203 type circuit, with a large amount of the drive coming from those 3 diodes and 2 LED's in that asymmetric arrangement. As opposed to the drive being mostly tube stages but with a diode for extra grit (like a 2210 or JCM900 MkIII). I also hate that the EQ is located *after* the effects loop, it's just strange.

That said, it's not a bad amp, I just think it doesn't work for the kind of music I want to play. You might love it and a lot of people do, in the same way that the JCM900DR is very polarizing, so is the Jubilee it seems. One big plus of the Jub is that if you have another Marshall (like a JVM, or 2203, or 1959, or DSL etc) it won't sound like them, so you can have two very different Marshally textures in your tone arsenal.

Do you think $1500 is a fair price for a mint used one about 3 yrs old?
Or just wait till someone has a new one in stock?

$1500 seems high to me since they are marked down now to $1899 new. I *never* buy new gear, but that's not much less than a brand new one, complete with factory warranty and free shipping/returns and all that stuff. That is, unless you just HAVE to have the old MEC Dagnall transformers and don't want the new ones for whatever reason, if you're a stickler about that stuff. Or unless you HAVE to have it right now and aren't willing to wait for a backorder to fill.

Then again, a quick look on Reverb and I must just be out of touch because compared to those listings, $1500 is a screaming deal. I paid $1100 for mine (2015 year) shipped ~2 years ago - inflation I guess. We have short memories around here but this is not the first blowout of these, I remember they were selling brand new for $999 for a while (2017?) so people that got them then are probably hyped to cash in.

I had a 2555X, didn't love it, recorded some clips and then returned it. Got a lot of shit for it over on the Marshall forum haha, a lot of comments about how I should've used a Les Paul or Strat and that's what I did wrong. It was a common enough sentiment that I really thought I must've been missing something, so I bought another when a deal popped up.

Still don't really like the amp. It's not bright and punchy like a 2203, the diodes are a large part of the distortion - and to be clear, my favorite Marshall of all time is the 2205/2210 and those have diodes too, so I'm not opposed to diodes in general. What I don't like is the way the amp is relatively cleaner than a 2203 type circuit, with a large amount of the drive coming from those 3 diodes and 2 LED's in that asymmetric arrangement. As opposed to the drive being mostly tube stages but with a diode for extra grit (like a 2210 or JCM900 MkIII). I also hate that the EQ is located *after* the effects loop, it's just strange.

That said, it's not a bad amp, I just think it doesn't work for the kind of music I want to play. You might love it and a lot of people do, in the same way that the JCM900DR is very polarizing, so is the Jubilee it seems. One big plus of the Jub is that if you have another Marshall (like a JVM, or 2203, or 1959, or DSL etc) it won't sound like them, so you can have two very different Marshally textures in your tone arsenal.

$1500 seems high to me since they are marked down now to $1899 new. I *never* buy new gear, but that's not much less than a brand new one, complete with factory warranty and free shipping/returns and all that stuff. That is, unless you just HAVE to have the old MEC Dagnall transformers and don't want the new ones for whatever reason, if you're a stickler about that stuff. Or unless you HAVE to have it right now and aren't willing to wait for a backorder to fill.

Then again, a quick look on Reverb and I must just be out of touch because compared to those listings, $1500 is a screaming deal. I paid $1100 for mine (2015 year) shipped ~2 years ago - inflation I guess. We have short memories around here but this is not the first blowout of these, I remember they were selling brand new for $999 for a while (2017?) so people that got them then are probably hyped to cash in.
They were being blown out for a grand several years ago. They were also being shipped with junk tubes and the bias could have been anywhere. Mine sounded very uninspiring when I got it and I was ready to give it away. Swapped the tubes, set the bias and holy shit it became a total tone machine. It's never going anywhere.

Thanks for your insight. On the Ceriatone 2555 I had I dont recall ever using the "rhythm clip" setting, so I'm not sure if the Marshall diodes work in the same way. I would usually just boost the lead channel when necessary.

Yeah, I guess $1500 isnt that far from a brand new one. A little more $, but less risk.

I have had a few of the originals and the reissue. Every time I revisit the jubilee, I like it, particularly at first. It is a fun amp to play and is instantly pretty gratifying... but every time, I eventually conclude that my 800's sound better.. I recently had a Reissue... even my JCM 2000 DSL 50 sounded better to me, so I sold it for 1300.00. YMMV

Back